Empowering Group Program Run-through part7

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
forever young 06

Re: Empowering Group Program Run-through part7

Post by forever young 06 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:25 am

good to see you back mike. I was wondering about you. that was really interesting about the guy with Chinese medicine. You are lucky to have him sounds like he knows what he is talking about and thanks for sharing it can be helpful. I haven't had much time for anything. I have been enjoying my family. I want to get back on track but I need to take down my decorations and clean. and saying cleaning mike I have trouble with getting organized the clutter makes me feel bad but when I try to attack it I feel anxious and over come. I have been working on my insurance issuses and I was looking for some papers and I couldn't find them and I had paperwork everywhere. I see now I have an issure there. I am learning a lot about myself and hope to learn more.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Thats great foreveryoung and yeah that sounds like one of your limitations, you have uncovered one now. I remember you saying that you couldn't recognize one but you just found one, awesome! Its also one of mine as well as I've cleaned one of my rooms and its amazing how it has reduced my anxiety. I know I had alot of anxiety while in my room but I didn't know how much of it came from having a messy room, I think my mind was trying to distract me with other things that bothered me instead of me really looking at the messiness and instead of cleaning it up. Why didn't I clean it up? Well like you ForeverYoung, I was really afraid that if I tried then I'd get really overwhelmed and it would bring on the scary thoughts and the feelings. I had to do some thought replacement on paper first in order to get myself to do it as I knew that if I just tried to ignore the thoughts and feelings, I would again go through that same cycle of anxiety body symptoms and scary thoughts. In all reality, it really isn't the cleaning that causes it, it is the focus and the perception that causes it...its what we say to ourselves that causes it and in this case I was seeing everything I had to do all at once and getting overwhelmed. Well of course anybody would get overwhelmed if they realize they had to do 100 things and imagine doing them all at once, even if you had all the food you have to eat in your entire lifetime in front of you right now that would get overwhelming too.

So one thing at a time, one step at a time, one object at a time, one activity at a time, one dish at a time, one morsel of food at a time, one word at a time, one moment at a time. And we can even make it fun by adding music and do one song at a time :). And we can see that we don't have to get this done all today and we can also see that we are in charge of how much we do and for how long and we can take breaks whenever we want and we can also focus on how great we'll feel after we are done and also what benefits of having a clean room or house will have towards us.

I'm still working on my projects and i'm finding that the more positive pictures and quotes I get, the more I can be positive and switch to positive thinking when i'm starting to feel negative...it seems like another way to overcome depression and anxiety as opposed to thought replacement and the relaxation cd. I'll post more pictures sometime after I get my office room cleaned up :)

By the way we start lesson 8 tomorrow.

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi everyone I'm back too!

I did not have any assertiveness practice over the holiday. I was all ready and looking for it and darn if everyone was pleasant and wonderful. I had my gang over here and it was anticipatory anxiety that I had to work on. Knowing how much time I had to get everything ready, knowing what I thought were others expectations. So I got some practice just not in the area I thought I would. It is hard dealing with facts as just because it may have happened in the past does not mean it will continue in the future. I have let myself get "conditioned" so I expected more of the same. It was not true. Nothing even close. I'm glad it is done, and I feel relief.
This year has been a tough year in many ways. I'm hoping for more positive things in the new year.
I also found this good read that I will post here as it seams fitting.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11973/20 ... -year.html

Good you both are back.
Mike glad you got assertive with your landlord. Like you say he may think about it some, and maybe he will be more careful what he says. If not you let him know how you felt about it. That does feel good to say things out loud.
Thanks for posting too about your Chinese doctor, nice to hear from his perspective and it does make sense. I hope I can remember how to do that when my opportunity comes along.

I have gotten all off schedule. After New Years I have to get back to my order. It is funny as I get bored with my routine, and uncomfortable doing things out of order but I like having some schedule in my life. I feel all confused when I take this much time off, and do so many things I usually do not do. I guess it is good for me, and I should be grateful for the change.

Forever Young,
Glad you are enjoying your family! There is time for clean up. I picked up a little, usually wait till after the new year to attack everything. I actually have turned down a invite for Wed. as I am getting tired of running and doing. I think I want a quiet day to chill. It is hard with the holidays being on Tue. & Wed. it messes with me as what day it is! Today does not feel like Sunday. Oh well we are almost though with these big holidays. :)

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:11 am

hi all good to see all back on. I have gotten so far behind too THH. I am starting to feel overwhelmed too. I need to clean on this house, I need to call the insurance office too. you would not believe the trouble I am having to just get regular insurance. I am applying for anthem outside of the health care website as I can't get my application straightend out. I am still working on it. the application I had an on line agent fill out with anthem fill out. I had given my birth date for my husband instead of his. I needed to straighten that out then I get a letter saying I hadn't picked a plan and I know we had because we had determined his deductible and of course the lovely price. I was trying to get this so he would have insurance for Jan . this is enough to give anyone anxiety. I am staying pretty cool which suprises me. and yes mike I need to attack some more problem areas in my home.

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”