question - gender assertiveness

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
LynnG

Post by LynnG » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:55 am

I seem to have an easier time being assertive with other females but when I try to be assertive with my son or husband I seem to have to raise my voice to be heard .
I can get my point accorss point blank to my daughter w/o raising my voice at all .

Anyone else come across this & have suggestions ?
Do you think this is more of a respect thing ?

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:30 am

Hi LynnG,

I think that is normal. I am a guy, and I think by nature, we are just not as smart as girls. Sometimes, particularly when our minds wonder, we can't seem to multi-task either, we do need something that catches our attention, and someone else speaking loud might just help us to focus our little wondering minds. No offense guys. I know my wife thinks I never listen to her. She she may or not realize is that if she gets lovey with me, she has my full attention :D

Lynn, if it makes you nervous or upsets you that you have to raise your voice, try the opposite. Get their attention, say by giving them a hug or kiss and then making eye to contact before you speak. Sounds like a lot to go through, but what's the harm? They'll wonder what is that about? and then you let them have it. viola! you got their attention!

My wife says I am wrong about this, she says that it is that old men are from Mars Women are from Venus thing. That might explain the why, but I am giving you a guys point of view, and what I think you may need to do about it. I think I am right about this.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:29 am

Thanks I guess I will try not worry so much about raising my voice . I just hate the way my body feels when I do because I can feel myself getting upset & angry about it at that point.
As far as snuggling or kissing them to get their attention - that I need to think about -it is unsettled w/ me right now. I feel like I would be allowing them to walk on me .. giving them affection for not listening to me . Not sure on that one .
Thanks for the guys opinion on it though !!

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”