Being Assertive and Being Bullied...

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
Mina's Man

Being Assertive and Being Bullied...

Post by Mina's Man » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:29 pm

Here's one that I'm struggling with. How does one be assertive when you're faced with the possibility of violence? :cry:

My mom lives in a bad neighborhood. I grew up there. Today she's 88 years old and in poor health. Since I'm the only child, I'm her care-giver. For the past several years going to my mother residence has developed into a nightmare for me. I was never very popular (which was one of the reasons that I moved away many years ago). Well, it seems that all that is haunting me again. :?

Don't think I'm paranoid but people I don't even know are gossiping about me, talking about me behind my back, and just today I encountered a group in individuals who made certain physical gesters behind my back and even threatening moves.

I try ignoring these idiots, thinking pleasant thoughts, concentrating on what I have to do for my mom on the day. It doesn't seem to be working. In fact, it seems to be encouraging the morons. I feel like I'm back in high school again. Only now, I'm an "older" man and fighting is definitely out of the question. Moving my mom out of the neighborhood is out of the question too, due to financial limitations.

When I get home from an 2 or 3 day visit at moms, I am almost completely frazzled mentally, spiritually and physically. Sometimes it takes about 3 days just to recover. And then it's back again for more of the same.

It's getting to the point where I don't want to go back there at all. Of course that's not an option. I also don't want to lose my temper, :evil: because someone (most likely me) might become hurt. I can't believe that at 62 years old, I'm being harassed like a darn teenager. I can't believe that I'm going through something like this.
Reginald

Paisleegreen

Re: Being Assertive and Being Bullied...

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:44 pm

Well, that's the problem...there are always going to be bullies. My family can be bullies...to me...the one they love. So that makes it even more painful. It is human nature to pick on someone else if you are hurting or have been hurt. But divine nature to overcome it. Keep posting here and venting...I hope we can help you or just by expressing yourself things will get better.

Paislee :mrgreen:

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”