This is going to be a challenge -

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
CourageousKris

This is going to be a challenge -

Post by CourageousKris » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:19 pm

Can't believe I'm already at Week 7. Scary, but also exciting. I just keep moving ahead each week, even if I don't feel I totally "got" the previous lesson. I know that it all works together and to just keep at it every day.

Assertive Behavior is going to be a challenge for me. It is so hard to not worry about what someone else is going to think about me. I really like that the program gives you several examples of what to say in certain situations. Very helpful. Part of me feels selfish when I say or do something that I feel may hurt the other person, even if they're already being hurtful to me. I am going to work really hard on this and know that in time it will get easier.

Remember, remember, remember....I am worth it. That's my mantra for the day. :D

Also, I have decided to go of my anti-anxiety medication (buspirone/buspar). Today is my first day of lowering the dose from 20mg /day to 15mg/day. I will go down 5mg a week until I'm done. Should take 3 weeks to a month. I've only been on the med for just over 2 months, and I hate it. I need to know that I am the one making myself better....not the medication. I am really scared about this because I started the medication about the same time as this program and have this voice in my head telling me I can't do it. I have a feeling I'll be using a lot of the positive self talk the next few weeks.
Anyone else who went off Bupirone? What can I expect? I am doing okay today...a little woozy in the head and a bit of a headache.

Thanks for letting me get all this out. Blessing to all.....Kris

lovetheself

Re: This is going to be a challenge -

Post by lovetheself » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:36 am

Hi Kris,

I just wanted to encourage you with the assertive session. I am on session 10, but I can already see changes in my behavior when it comes to sticking up for myself and being assertive. I definitely can relate to your points about worrying what others will think of you and whether you are making them angry. I have come to realize that people aren't thinking about us nearly as much as we think they are! It's all in our heads and with some positive self-talk and doing the program, you will get better at being assertive. I have also had issues with assertiveness until I started this program. I am not out of the woods by any means, but I know for sure that I am no longer a doormat....I don't allow it anymore, I speak up:-)
Blessings to you...you are on your way:-)

S

CourageousKris

Post by CourageousKris » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:29 pm

S,

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. A few things have come up this last week that let me use my new assertiveness skill and I felt so great afterwards. It feels really akward to do it, but I'll keep with it. I know that sometimes I'll do okay and sometimes not, but will be kind to myself no matter what.

Thanks again!
Kris

lovetheself

Post by lovetheself » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi Kris,

So glad you are doing well and using the assertiveness skills the program teaches us. It's definitely a journey and I am happy to know that you are being patient and loving with yourself. I am working on being the same way with myself too.
Take care,
S

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”