Kind of off subject: Triggered

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
Dawnsky

Kind of off subject: Triggered

Post by Dawnsky » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:28 am

The answer to this one probably should be bloody obvious, but isn't. I've been doing very well so far, and still am, but got "triggered" tonight. I read a help request from an animal rights organization, and they were horrifyingly specific about a particular act of cruelty. They even gave the animal's name before going into detail about what happened. My hands are shaking a little, and there's that weird grinding feeling in my stomach, but I'm not in full-blown freakout mode. I did cry, though. And come to think of it, I feel that heart-pounding, dry mouth thing that happens when you get flooded with adrenalin.

Okay, here's the question. any suggestions for moments like this, when one just gets blindsided? Do you just have the silly attack and get it overwith? Cuz I'm thinking that might be what's called for.

That, and kissing and hugging my pets...

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dawnsky

ANDRE.W2

Re: Kind of off subject: Triggered

Post by ANDRE.W2 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:44 am

Hello Dawnsky, I personally think u did well considering hearing that particular news. Even the person who is not an animal lover per say, would not want to see any harm come to them. if we didnt have any reaction to that type of news I don't see how we could be human. myself along w/ you and millions of others do not appove or condone any misstreatment to animals. becuase we wuold not like it if they misstreated us. Just no that there are people who are standing up for them night and day. Again I think u handled yourself well and thank u for careing; that makes me no that i CAN HAVE LOVE AND COMPASSION ALSO. Andre.w2 you have my respect

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:37 pm

I think you did great as well! I hate hearing news about cruelty to animals as well and can't watch those commercials w/ Sarah L singing in the background. Paislee

Dawnsky

Post by Dawnsky » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:01 pm

Thank you so much, gang. And thanks for the kind words as well as the encouragement. I later had the chance to sign a petition regarding the incident from the original post, and was also encouraged by that. Their goal was something like 8,000 signatures (people wanting the perp to be criminally prosecuted)--and so far they have like 35,000!!

It really does help to hear (from you) that my reaction is normal. Thanks again!

Take care all,

Dawnsky

ANDRE.W2

Post by ANDRE.W2 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:44 am

You are most welcme Dawnsky and congrads on that assertiveness, thanks for sharing that news, wow 8,000 signatures I am inspired now to go full force with the "attacking stress and anxiety program". thank you also paisleegreen I am fired up with energy that I havn't had in years do to anxiety and depression which started with diet pills at age 15

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”