Got nervous before I could be assertive

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
Goober25

Post by Goober25 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Hello All,

I hope everyone is having a nice, panic free, depressed free day. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you who happen to be a victim of these conditions just as I am.

I was faced with an incident today and I am having one of those "Why didn't I stand up for myself?" moments. Here is the situation and please, any comments or suggestions are more than welcome.

I went to the doctor today but it wasn't my regular doctor there - it was his partner. My gut told me to wait until tomorrow until my reg. doctor is in but i didnt want to go another day without any medicine because i have a really bad cough and was afraid it could turn into something worse.

So I go in and he starts by asking me routine questions. Then he asks me what medication i am on so that the antibiotic he may give me doesn't counteract with my meds. So I sat up straight and said, "I am taking zoloft, lamictal, and as of a few days ago I no longer have to take klonopin."

Without even looking at me he says, "Ok...still taking the crazy pills."

My jaw dropped.
I could not believe a DOCTOR would say such a thing, let alone how insensitive his comment was!! I don't know if I was scared to say something or if I was just in shock, but I didnt defend myself. Before I could utter another word, he asks the dosage of each medication.

So the minute I said 250mg of zoloft a day, his eyes got so big i thought they were going to pop out of his head and he says "WOW! 250? two - five - zero? That's a very large dose. you must have lost it."

Speechless, yet again, I sat up straight, again, and said "Well DOCTOR, I was suicidal, clinically depressed and suffering from severe anxiety all at the same time from the months of september thru january, so yes, to some, I may have "lost it."

But this comment wasn't enough for me. As soon as I got home I was regretting not saying more. Should I go back tomorrow, when my reg. doctor is in and make a complaint? What would you do?

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:02 am

Goober,

I would definitely go in to see your regular doctor and reiterate the conversation you had with his business partner. Poor bedside manner is not a quality that his boss will look highly upon. Thankfully you have the tools to handle this. Think about the other patients who may be devastated by an insensitive comment like that who don't have the tools to speak up for themselves. You've got to tell someone. And I'd have a note put in my file that states that you don't want to be seen by Dr. Insensitive again.

Best of Luck!

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”