Being More Assertive

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
Dominick

Post by Dominick » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:42 pm

For the most part, I'm pretty assertive. Unfortunately I did it the hard way. A way that no one should have to. Basically it took many years of people walking all over me for me not to take it anymore. Instead of handling things assertively I would just explode with anger if I thought someone was trying to use me as a doormat. Thanks to session 6 Controlling Your anger and Moodswings and session 7 I now learned how to be assertive without getting angry.I still however, have a little trouble being assertive with strangers. I tend to take the anger track with them instead of staying calm and talking to them but I don't explode anymore. It still is a work in progress. :cool:

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Congrats on your progress and yes it does take some time to really master the skill and to bring it up automatically. You're doing great and keep up the good work.

Mike

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”