Assertiveness Without Anger

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
Dominick

Post by Dominick » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:28 pm

My Dad has been in the hospital for the past few weeks and he's not doing very well. The other day the hospital sent in student nurses to practice on him. When I got there I was pissed off. They were jabbing him over and over again trying to take a simple finger stick test for glucose but couldn't do it right. It was hurting him and making me very angry inside but I kept my composure. I assertively told those student nurses to back off and they did. I also told the doctor to put in my dad's chart to not let any students practice on him any more. I was proud of myself for not letting anger take over. It was close but I was able to hold it back.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Thats really great that you were able to do that in a situation like that. What they were doing was very inconsiderate and it didn't sound like they even asked for consent or permission. I would not blame you if you did get angry and started to yell but you didn't and it sounds like you handled it very well. Congrats!

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

creamcheesepuff

Post by creamcheesepuff » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Dominick, I am a Registered Nurse...I know what that feeling is like.....although when I was PRACTICING on a patient my instructers were close by to assure that the patient was in complete assurance that they were going to TAKE over. NO PERSON SHOULD ENDURE ANY UNREASONABLE PAIN when they are under medical care. Its not funny but I think MOST medical professionals dont know how it feels to be a patient....I was and it was an enlightening experience to deal with a uncaring, numb, cold nurse. I dont blame you at all, I felt strange when I approached a patient and they knew it too....I was pretty astute when it came to poking for blood samples because I had experience with phlebotomy before that....I had EMT training too. So I came UP the ladder so to speak before ANY SUTDENTS got ahold of patients on my floor. YOU are absolutely RiGht....No person should go through being a guinea pig, unless they are just made of steel and really dont mind. His consent should have been received before all of this took place. Making someone more anxious and emotionally upheaved when you are undergoing surgeries or a severe illness only complicates matters. I hope all turned out for the best. Its good that you were there at the moment.

GoodDave

Post by GoodDave » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:00 pm

That's great Dominic. Congrats!
-Dave-

"Because the plot thickens every day, and the pieces of my puzzle keep crumbling away. But I know there's a picture beneath."

GoodDave

Post by GoodDave » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:01 pm

By the way, sorry for spelling your name wrong. LOL.
-Dave-

"Because the plot thickens every day, and the pieces of my puzzle keep crumbling away. But I know there's a picture beneath."

Mystikal1231

Post by Mystikal1231 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:43 am

Dominick - Good for you!! You did it!! :)

and wow what a test!! I could only imagine how hard that must have been told hold it together like that, but still be able to express yourself!! :)

Keep up the good work!!
** How can you give love to others, or recieve love of others - if you can not 1st love yourself? **

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:02 am

domnick, I'm proud of you too. I remember a time when my mother was in a hospital more for the elderly to be tested to see why she was throwing up blood. This happen quite a few times in her last years. So they wanted her to drink a Barium fluid so they could scope her. ( I'm not sure if I have the terms right)

Anyway, she wouldn't drink it due to it being cold and probably not feeling very good either. They sent off my Dad who took good care of her and definitely would speak up if needs be. I was there and the staff sent me out of the room and closed the door. They were forcing this fluid down her nose through a tube. I could tell she was fighting it and she was calling my father's name in a high pitches scream/yell.

It was so hard for me to hear and I didn't it.
She gradually was losing her health and mini-strokes were part of it. She eventually had a stroke that paralyzed her throat and destroyed more of her frontal lobe. So due to a Living Will she was on Morphine until she passed after 10 days.

So I worry about DH being a good advocate for me such as my Dad was for my Mom. And I worry about having strokes myself, I want to be sure I keep my weight down and exercise the best I can.
So good for you for sticking up for your Dad.

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”