Putting my assertive skills to work

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
Tigerlady

Post by Tigerlady » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:01 am

I finished the program last spring. I have never been able to be assertive in my life and have been manipulated plenty because of it. I consider myself to be a newbie at this and got a chance yesterday to "work it". A client offered me a chance to make some extra money for her on Saturdays and once again, I lowered my fee. However, after working last Saturday for her, and travelling an hour there and back, I thought how ridiculous this was for the money I got paid. So, when I called her to confirm this Saturday, I mentioned that I would need a gas allowance and would have to at least make a certain $ figure to make it worth my while. Again, a discounted price but something is better than nothing. She flat out refused and it was like a slap in the face! This woman is extremely wealthy, too. We were becoming friends as well, but now I know a manipulator when I run into one. I stood my ground but boy was I shaking when I finished the phone call. I finally stood up for myself even if I did have to go around the bush to do it. It's not over because she wants me to "think about it" but I really am hoping she doesn't call again. Being assertive is tough!

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Well, you did it, and that's what is important..of course people is going to get mad if they don't get what they want from you....if she call you again just relax and stay your ground with a calm voice....That is going to make her think it twice before she offer you little money for your precious time and good job!! and if you want to be a big cat handler it is essential that you learn stayin your groung!!
Let us know what happen!!

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”