Just writing down my thoughts

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
Lambert

Post by Lambert » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:10 am

In my job I'm forced to say no, etc. be assertive quite frequently, which is great for me! Lately, I've felt a little "dispondent" I guess, a little depressed and not totally there.

So while I'll always "feel the fear and do it anyways!" I still beat myself up for not "doing it perfectly". I guess that can be some perfectionism kicking in.

By doing it perfectly I mean using a confident voice that will result in more respect. The individuals I am speaking with may be less likely to quesiton my responses as they have been a little bit right now.

Therefore, I am going to NOT beat myself up because I am pre-menstral and in the middle of a hectic performance schedule for a festival I am in. I will make a concious effort to speak more confidently (which I KNOW I can do) but will also be understanding with myself.

I will celebrate the fact that I am still being assertive enough to say NO when I need too and not backing down regardless of whether I feel I say it in a confident enough sounding voice or not.

Angela

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”