Getting frustration out.

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
StoneField

Post by StoneField » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:16 am

I am finishing up a long stretch of school. The most stressful part is over. We are just finishing up small projects. Everyone else is breathing a sigh of relief... not me. I can't seem to be able to wind down. All the deadlines, stress, worry, and frustration are pent up not wanting to come out. Now that the big stuff is done I can't seem to be able to accomplish the little piddling projects. I procrastinate and worry. I guess now that the big stuff is done I don't even want to look at work of any kind. Help Please.

Elizabeth Marie

Post by Elizabeth Marie » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:08 am

Frustrated... I honestly think my motivation has gone down the toliet. My wife and I have always talked about moving when I finish school. Now she wants to buy a house her in this city (which I hate). My motivation has gone down the toliet. I know I said that. Honestly, I feel like I don't even want to graduate if it means having to stay in this city.

When I talk to her about moving now she starts crying and says she doesn't want to leave her mom. So depressing.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:26 pm

Hi - It sounds like you are going through typical anxiety at the end of a big accomplishment. Kind of like a let down or at least a letdown of energy because pretty soon you won't "have to"...have to have that goal...have to have those deadlines, etc. But you will have something else that comes along to motivate you...just let yourself float through this period. Enjoy your graduation/completion and congratulate yourself on your accomplishments - you deserve it!

As to the house issue - that is just something that you and your wife will have to sit down and discuss rationally - without tears or pent up frustration. You have some motivation - you obviously don't want to be in that town. Could you move a few towns over so that you wouldn't be far from her mother, but still away from there? Is the issue with her mother that she is afraid to leave her (like she needs her too much) or is her mother sick and needs care or soemthing? If it's just detachment issues on the part of your wife - that really needs to be addressed in a loving and comforting manner. She chose you...the whole concept of marriage is for a man and woman to leave their families and join together. Of course, though, being a loving, caring husband, you need to help her through her issues with leaving her mother.

I wish you the best! And Congratulations on your school being finished!!

Blessings,
Dawn

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:34 pm

STONEFIELD, I REFLECT ON MY OWN EXPERIENCE OF HAVING TO COMPLETE GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS THAT I THOUGHT WERE INDIVDUALLY NOT AS IMPORTANT BUT AS A GROUP WOULD KEEP ME FROM RECIEVING THE CREDIT FOR COMPLETING THE CURICULIUM FOR THE DEGREE I WANTED AND NEEDED TO ACHIEVE.
I DID BECOME ANXIOUS AND DEPRESSED ABOUT THIS HURDLE I FELT I SHOULD GET A PASS.I WAS ABLE TO FLIP MY ANGER TO CONSTRUCTIVE ENERGY BY USING THE SAME ABILITIES I USED FOR THE COURSES I THOUGHT WERE MORE IMPORTANT AND FOCUS ON SMASHING THROUGH THIS FINAL WALL TO GET TO MY DEGREE.

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”