speaking up at work!

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
leajay983

Post by leajay983 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:13 pm

Hi..first time I'm writing instead of just reading...I just wanted to share with ppl who would understand..that I've been speaking up at work..FINALLY!! Today at a staff meeting..and I could tell that I gained respect from my office manager and even more importantly to me, the doctors I work for. I was taken seriously and started a good discussion... I think they were impressed/happy that I am taking an interest in how the practice runs and ways to improve the way things run :)

The other thing I am REALLY proud of is that there is this one girl I work with who is a real pain in the arse to me...she's nice to everyone but me :p ... I don't know why but thanks to this program I'm trying not to let it bother me..it's her problem, not mine. None the less, I was looking for a patient chart the other day and she (as usual) flat out told me "there's no way it's in that stack of charts" and I just finally told her in no uncertain terms that I always look EVERYWHERE cuz they can show up in some really bizarre places (Period!!) It really felt GREAT!!

Now my next challenge is to speak with my office manager about April's schedule..me and another girl are supposed to alternate working late on Fridays and for some reason I'm working late for the NEXT 5 FRIDAYS!! The girl I work with hates staying late on Fridays but we are supposed to alternate...I don't want the scheduled changed but I want to check in with my office manager and touch base with her.. This will be hard for me cuz I don't want to seem difficult or whiny but this is my next challenge and so far speaking up has been a GREAT experience! I love this program and I'm not even done yet! :D

R.T.E.

Post by R.T.E. » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:44 am

Leajay,

GOOD FOR YOU! You are doing it!!! :)

You are not being difficult or whiny - you are expecting (and well you should!) that what is said...is done! If you are supposed to alternate, then you have every right to ask why the schedule does not reflect that. You are using your assertiveness in an entirely proper way.

I know you are proud of you! I don't even know you and I am proud of you! :)

And way togo on the P.I.T.A. (Pain in the ...:)) co-worker. You do your job and feel good about what you accomplish. If she doesn't like it - well, she doesn't have to! You're right - her problem!

Awesome job! Keep it up!!

Blessings,
Dawn

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:19 pm

Aww thanks for the encouraging post!! :) I appreciate that although these may look like small things to others, ppl here can understand that they are BIG things to us! I spoke with my office mgr. today too and got some of the schedule changed..it was just an oversight and she was very apologetic! The funny thing was that I did do the "catastrophizing"...are they trying to change my schedule without telling me? Do they want to make things difficult so I'll leave? Crazy stuff! But now I KNOW it's just me making stuff up and knowing that takes the scariness..the power to get me upset..away!

Thanks again for your encouraging words! :)

me too

Post by me too » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:10 am

Good job!

And this is where we start realizing and getting that "proof" that we anxiety-types need - that those thoughts we dream up aren't fact (on the catastrophic side!). Now you have this incident to look back on the next time you think those "what if" kind of thoughts and can say to yourself, "But remember when I thought they were trying to make me leave and I was assertive and approached the manager...and found out it was just an oversight?" :)

Good for you! And enjoy those Friday nights you don't have to work late! Do something fun for YOU! :)

Blessings,
Dawn

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:17 am

Hey Leajay, I will be starting session 7 tomorrow and reading your post has me really excited about it. Keep on keepin on, your awesome

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:20 am

My experience is this:

Speaking assertively to co workers is good, as long as you dont let anger creep in.

Assertiveness with bosses or those up the line, is tricky and make sure you dont do it in front of co workers, find a seperate one on one time. If you do it in front of others they may see it as challenging their authority which makes bosses all sortsa twitchy.

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”