delete

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:14 pm

The video is her stand up comedy right after she was cruely critiziced for all the Hollywood Enterprise and the media for coming out.... She would make you laugh :0) Humor can heal!

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:10 am

Hi Farmboy.
You have every right to be assertive in standing up for yourself, as long as you are being assertive in the right way as explained in the program. You do gain respect by being assertive...others will start realizing that you will stand up for what is right. They will start thinking twice before they say or do something to you that is wrong. It may take time for them to realize it, but eventually they will get it. Some may not get it..that is their problem. We can't change some people but we can certainly stand up to them, and feel better knowing we stood up for ourselves. I know being in a small town can be tough when you are gay, but you have to do what makes you feel good. I always taught my sons never to cause a fight, it was better to walk away from it if possible, but..if someone puts their hands on you, or talks down to you, then you need to stand up for yourself or they will constantly harrass you if you don't. I wish you the best.
Originally posted by farmboyfox:
This may be the biggest one for me yet.

Due to some bad experiences when I was assertive, I now am really afraid of being assertive in the workplace. I have been in situations where authority retaliates big time and these memories play in to my worse case scenario thinking.

I'm presently in a situation as a gay person when people are borderline harrassing me with name calling and a general disrespect (rolling their eyes; calling me french names and badmouthing me to my boss who is a little homophobic I think. How do you overcome a fear of being assertive when the stakes are really high? Please help.

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”