Lashback from Asserting Myself

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
MinnChad

Post by MinnChad » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:49 am

OK, I've got a situation at work.
It's with this younger girl, let's call her Brittany Spears.
I asserted myself to her last week when I was in Week 6! But ever since then, she's hated me and has now tried to make my life difficult. She actually said "Why don't you just quit" once (but not to my face), and then tonight she emailed a very smart alec comment that had to do with scheduling.

In essence, ever since I asserted myself to her after she was rude by budding in front of me, she has had it out for me.

This is one of my fears of asserting myself. The lashback.

How would one deal with it? What kind of approach should one take with it? What tone of voice? And most importantly, how do you assert yourself to where you're assertive, but not aggressive?

Corr

Post by Corr » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:33 am

Minn,
As long as you asserted yourself correctly you have nothing to worry about. Her reaction is her problem, you can't control that. It says more about her and her personality than it does about you. If you know you were right, take comfort in that and know she isn't someone you want to be around anyway. I would try ignoring her rude behavior. Don't go out of your way to be rude/mean or to be friendly. If it gets worse, I would try talking to her again. If that doesn't work, maybe you can go to a superior (but as a last resort). I hope this helps! Stay strong to your decision. Don't let her bully you. Good luck!

MinnChad

Post by MinnChad » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 am

Thank you for the reply, it made me feel a better about it.
Thanks.

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:09 am

Minn,
If you asserted yourself, its nothing to worry about. When you first starting asserting yourself, people you work with, family, etc, arent prepared for you standing up for yourself.
Its kind of a shock to them. But, your learning to protect yourself by voicing how you feel in an affirmative way.
I would just not worry about this other girl. Sounds to me like "she" needs to grow up!
Just do your job, and dont worry about it. Let it go! Nelly:)

MC Grace

Post by MC Grace » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:37 am

good for you! it sounds like she really needs to be stood up to.

being assertive in a situation like yours it crucial. just practice. it sounds like she may give you some more opportunities to do so.

i listened to that tape a lot! often right before going to work. you can do it!
I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.
Psalm 13:6

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”