Waking up with a gloomy feeling

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
WaterfallHope

Post by WaterfallHope » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:46 pm

I find that I am still waking up in the morning with a gloomy, dreadful feeling. It happens almost every day. I make myself get out of bed fairly quickly and start my morning routine (which starts with yoga and breakfast) but I really wish I could just wake up feeling good. I know now that I need to fight against it when it happens with good self-talk but how do I stop it in the first place? It's not a nice way to start the day...

bernard123

Post by bernard123 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:13 am

Hey, I know exactly how you feel! I still do @ times wake up with this bad feeling, I tell myself it's only the anxiety, and keep going about my day. This way I am training myself, so one day I just pop and voila, feelings are gone, and I can go on about my day w/o those feelings. Just hang in there, and know that you are not alone. I also start of the day with a little prayer, and that helps as well. Just like the program says, we have to float with it, and not fight it.....Best of luck!!!!!!!!

BTTRFLY

Post by BTTRFLY » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:06 am

I also wake up "with a start". Not really a gloomy feeling as much as a really anxious, almost panicky feeling. The way you start your day sounds great--I found that if eat something really light before bed I do not wake up quite so anxious, my counselor said it had to do with low blood sugar in the morning, combined with anxiety, of course.

But it stinks, and this week I am on vacation with my husband and kids doing day trips---sucks to wake up feeling badly when it is supposed to be a fun week! I'd love to hear any other people's solutions to this morning anxiety...
"If nothing ever changed...there would be no Butterflies." Author unknown

Eden

Post by Eden » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:55 am

I have the exact same problem. I wake up with a knot in my chest, gloomy AND panicky. Not fun. I go to bed feeling ok (I'm so much better at night), then wake up feeling so low. I wish I could get rid of it too. I don't know how to fix it, but I thought you'd at least feel better knowing that some more people were experiencing the same thing.

For me, I think maybe it has to do with wanting instant results. I try little things to change my mornings, but they never seem to work, and I quickly fall back into the old patterns. It's so hard for me to do anything in the mornings, so changing a routine, or trying to do stuff to distract myself is really, really difficult. Then, when I don't seem to be feeling any different, I tend to give up. Even after only a few days of trying - because those few days, and those little things take so much effort. I know I shouldn't, but I still expect the results to be proprtionate to the effort, and I suppose it doesn't work that way. I know I have to "just do it", but man, is it hard, and I completely relate.

fare

Post by fare » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:58 am

Sounds as though you are working hard. Rather than "fight against it," try just accepting it. Acknowledge that it is there: "Oh, there you are. Stay if you want, but I have other things to do." Then get busy. Or say anything else that fits for you. If you are fighting it, you are focusing on it, and we experience what we focus on. It will eventually fade away when you stop focusing on it. Let it be. Be patient. Keep up your work, and you'll experience the payoff. Blessings, fare

WaterfallHope

Post by WaterfallHope » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:52 pm

Oh, fare, I like that!

This morning when I woke up and the gloomy feeling tried to take hold, I said to myself, "Nope, not doing that today!" and went straight to yoga. I didn't lay in bed pondering why I feel bad AGAIN and how I wish it would go away,etc. It helped to shake it off more quickly.

I find that I tend to want to analyze WHY I feel gloomy, why I have negative thoughts, how I'm going to overcome them, how will it feel when I'm better, etc. I've decided to stop doing that. I'm just not going to accept it anymore. When my brain starts to do it's same old panicky, worried, anaylzing-everthing routing, I've been telling it (in an assertive voice!) "No, I don't do that anymore." It seems to help.

Oh, one more thing about waking up gloomy. I noticed that my body seems to know what time it is! If I wake up at 4 a.m. I don't feel gloomy and go back to sleep. If I wake up at 5:59 a.m. (one minute before my alarm goes off), I DO feel gloomy! Go figure.

It does help to know there are more of you out there dealing with the gloomy morning monster.

Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:04 am

Water, great that you are doing it! I woke up this morning with a list of things I have to do in my head, wanting to go back to sleep. I am glad that I am going to exercise and not accept those gloomy thoughts. Have a great holiday everyone!

pansy

Post by pansy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:36 am

I usually wake up with a gloomy feeling anytime I know that I am going to work that day. I hate work but know I have to work to survive financially. I am going to retire in September and hope to be able to do something parttime that will not make me feel so gloomy.

Hate feeling gloomy all the time.

mandymandy

Post by mandymandy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:18 am

I know what you mean. I woke up this morning feeling the exact same way. I feel gloomy and like a cloud is hanging over my life. Only my anxiety is severe enough that I have trouble working. So I'm at home. Feeling gloomy. When I stat working again, I know I'll those days when I just don't want to get up out of bed because of feeling this way. I haven't started the the program program yet. So maybe there's hope for some future sunny days :)

Dona Dry

Post by Dona Dry » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:21 am

Hi Everyone on this Post,

You all seem to have the same problem WHY AM I FEELING GLOOMY IN THE MORNING WHEN I WAKE UP! You all DON'T HAVE TO FEEL GLOOMY IN THE MORNING! Let's look at this situation in a different manner. What are you saying to yourself (self talk) is probably negative, because if it was positive you would be getting up feeling fantastic! It's new day, the sun is shining, I'm going out for dinner tonight, etc. Think of words that are comforting, creative, loving, etc.

One little trick that helps is to get out a piece of paper write down all your negative dialague and change it to positive dialague (like you learned in the program) read these phrases (out loud) BEFORE YOU GO TO BED AT NIGHT for 30 evenings.
You will notice how great you will feel because you are re-directing your negative thoughts to positive thoughts and your body and mind will follow. I have done the program 4 years ago. It has changed my life. I have my life back and enjoying every minute of it. YOU CAN DO IT TOO! LET'S ALL GET TOGETHER AND WORK ON IT!

Have a great Morning,

Dona Dry

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”