Respecting my Individuality

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
PositiveThoughts

Post by PositiveThoughts » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:55 pm

I don't know if this is part of being assertive, but I'd like to know opinions/advice.

I have been known as a quiet person. I talk if people talk to me, and I can get comfortable opening up with certain individuals whom I feel are good people to speak to. Not everyone is to trust your thoughts with. I think some people talk too much and don't realize that what they say are being said behind their backs.

Anyway, I have been known to be almost too quiet, but I am very warm and smile. I think people expect a warm person to be a talker...whatever....I don't know.

I am grown person, and I am sometimes not happy being too quiet, but there are many times I am okay being what I have been. People just have the problem. Sometimes I wish I could snap at them to leave the F out of me alone. They just ruin it for me sometimes.

I have certain family members that I do not open up to, and they sometimes say I am too quiet. This family member I have known to snap at times I don't know, so this feeling's always stayed with me. I have others who do not judge my quietness and I open up to them when I feel ready.

There are people who are okay with me being quiet. I just wish the others would shut up. How can I convince them that this is who I am without it getting me down?

Sometimes I don't want to see certain people like my neighbors are having a get together for new year because my neighbors are always odd. They seem nice at one point and sometimes anti social at other times. My mom just doesn't like to be antisocial, but I always figure what is the point of going to a party that I am not going to make any difference?

I bet one of my neighbor who's asked mom to ask me whether or not I'd babysit her daughter's twice thinks I am a weirdo. I don't want to care for neighbor's children I don't know plus she didn't ask me directly to know anything about what I think. Why she asked my mom instead of me, I have no idea. My mom tried to make me go just to please her. What's the point? This just makes me feel bad and not okay with who I am and the decisions I make.

I wish I had this vibe that'd let people know that I don't care what they think of me. I think it's time to be okay with who I am. Not everyone's the same and there's some people who are bound to accept me for who I am.

I wish I knew what to say to make them leave me alone. Not all quiet people are people who are anti-social. Maybe they just don't want to say anything everyone's willing to share openly.

DEB EMENHISER

Post by DEB EMENHISER » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:38 am

MAYBE YOU COULD TRY JUST PUTTING IN AN APPEARANCE AT YOUR NEIGHBORS AND THEN LEAVE. THEN AT LEAST THEY CAN'T SAY YOU ARE ANTI-SOCIAL.

Laura R_1

Post by Laura R_1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:40 am

Being quiet is not bad. That is who you are. When people do not understand they become critical because the behavioe is not deemed normal. You are who you are!! There is nothing wrong with that. We are all different. Just because you are an introver does not mean you are strange. So, you feel open when you are comfortable with a person and that is perfectly fine. Being assertive is voicing ina clam manner that this your personality trait. It is voicing that at times you are content to just observe or be by yourself. You do not have to prove yourself to anyone!! People will be morer respectful when you become assertive. It may take time but, it can happpen.

I just came from a trip and did soemthing I never thought I could!! That makes me feel free!! Free!! Liberated!!

Just let people know waht your stance is. Don't make lengthy explanations. Voice your stance and smile...

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”