Sooo Happy I did it-but a little guilty??

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
Karmerri

Post by Karmerri » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:44 am

Today my husband and I took our kids to a birthday party. It was a kid in my son's school but in a different class so I didn't really know the moms there. It was at a sports arena where the kids crawl around in those tubes with the balls and then they have tokens for arcades and stuff. Anyways, I did see a woman who lives a couple blocks away from me and she walked up to me and said she needed to ask me a question. (I don't know this woman very good at all-only talked to her at the playground a couple of times last year!). She starts to tell me she has to get to work an hour earlier and that she used to have 2 moms helping her and one can't anymore so.....could I babysit...???blah, blah, blah. Before she even looked up I said "Sorry, I Can't."!!!!! And even better, I left it at that. She says"I am not a morning person either..."(I didn't even mention morning...)I said "Actually, I am a morning person, but no, I can't." That was it. Over. Boy did that feel good-BUT..after awhile, mixed in with the feeling sooo good about myself, I felt "bad" for the lady. Almost like embarassed for her. Remember on tape 1 or 2 they talk about that? Well, I just had to post about this. I journaled the other day about how I can't get a grip on worrying about what others think of me sometimes and stuff but I cant wait to journal this.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:35 am

Hi!

Were you feeling bad for her or bad that you said no? I think that as long as you're just feeling embarrassed for her...it's better! I mean - that was rather rude of her to ask you like that!

GOOD FOR YOU though for saying no. That is assertive and healthy!

Way to Go!

:)

Dawn

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”