What would you do?

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
purpmartin

Post by purpmartin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:11 am

Hi, everyone,

I don't suppose I'm the only one who has a "fragrance" problem at work. There's someone at my workplace who has a tendency to LOAD herself with something really strong. I wear a filter mask, and the fumes still get in and burn my sinuses; make my tongue sting; and my eyes burn as well. My desk must be a good twenty feet from hers.

I've spoken with my own supervisor and that other woman's supervisor, and even the department head. That person herself is touchy about it, as I discovered.

I don't know what to do next. Any ideas?

Thanks.

purpmartin

JpHobo

Post by JpHobo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:00 pm

Your in a difficult position between a rock,your annoying coworker,and your supervisor's abilities.
Demonstrate that you are trying to cope by get a small electronic air freshner. Ask to move your workstation. Overwhelm the objectionable oder with a smell you prefer.
You can revisit with your supervisors to request a transfer because they have already have chosen her smell over your first request. Ask around other departments to get an idea if this transfer is reasonable expectation .
If a transfer is unreasonable , go to your
Human Resources Manager so they can partner with your coworker and /or supervisor to show them how to work with your resonable work requirement.

Chief Crazy Horse

Post by Chief Crazy Horse » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:15 pm

Sorry about your situation,I like the advise given already though I'll also pray for ya. My mom is horrible with that too and so is a person at work. Just show that you care about her too and would like the same in return.
Last edited by Chief Crazy Horse on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purpmartin

Post by purpmartin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:12 am

Hi, folks,

Thanks for the input. I must put the suggestions on my list of things to ask my allergist. I see her tomorrow.

purpmartin

purpmartin

Post by purpmartin » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:06 am

Hi, all,

Thanks for your support.

I saw my allergist this morning. She says I look better than last time.

As to the "scent" problem at work, the doctor doesn't know what else I can do, besides going to an environmental medicine clinic. There aren't any in Louisiana, which means I'd have to travel. What a nuisance--and just try to escape "fragrances" when you're on a plane!

Today I heard that That Person says that she wears body oil. It's one of only three or four breaks I've had with this problem (which has been going on for about 15 months). Maybe I'm in the ball park now. If I could somehow find out exactly which body oil(s) That Person uses, I might be able to pinpoint exactly which ingredient(s) are causing my adverse reactions.

I feel that I really must do SOMETHING, because my exposure to That Person's stuff has made me more sensitive to other "fragrances". Hers is so strong that I can smell it if she passes me yards away, even if we're outdoors. At least she hasn't been wearing it every day as she did for months; but twice since a week ago yesterday, she's swum in the stuff. Twice within three working days!

She isn't at work today. I'm not saying I'm glad if she's sick, but her absence is good reason for me to rejoice. I feel better both physically and mentally without that stuff smothering me.

I looked on the Internet for the sort of air purifier that you can wear around your neck--I can't remember its exact name. Anybody know of something like that?

purpmartin

purpmartin

Post by purpmartin » Thu May 01, 2008 9:30 am

Hey,

Happy Friday and Happy Mayday!

I've been told two or three times since yesterday that That Person (the one wears that strongly scented whatsit) is going to be working somewhere else. If that's true, it's the best news I've heard in a long time.

I'm considering environmental medicine clinics; scented stuff has been bothering me more and more for months. I've no doubt that That Person's stuff is a major player in this; her stuff was murder for me from the day she joined the department.

Such a clinic doesn't seem quite so urgent now, but I don't think I ought to dismiss the idea altogether. I believe that I've been sensitized by That Person's stuff.

Only a day or two ago somebody said that That Person (and two among the building's cleaning crew) use stuff called Brown Sugar and Pink Sugar. I don't know what manufacturer/brand they are. I need to find out just what's in those things.

I do know this much. PURE essential oils, even undiluted, don't have the effects on me that those persons' "fragrances" do!

purpmartin

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”