This session doesn't fit me at all. Anyone else?

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
Music Fan

Post by Music Fan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:55 pm

I listened to this session today and I couldn't relate to the discussion of anger at all. I don't have an issue with anger. Anyone else feel like this session just doesn't fit them?

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:04 pm

I felt like it didn't really fit me either but I realized that I was getting irritated frequently, so I just substituted the irritability for the anger in that session and it worked really well for this too.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:28 pm

Music Fan,
Well, just maybe anger isn't really an issue for you. I listened to the anger session today also. At first I didn't think it applied to me. Then i remembered that I work so hard not to act angry that sometimes I don't speak up when i really need to. Then I go into avoiding or withdrawing defenses. And that often will lead me into mental conversations where i rerun the event in my head with all kinds of different scenario's. i call this mental gossip. If I don't catch myself early, this will lead to mountains of negative thinking and depression.
I really have to check in on my mind chatter to make sure I am not heading down that dark highway.
Mitzy

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:10 pm

That was me the first day on 6. And I left it to revisit 3,4 and 5. Then, Monday ,I saw the flap about General Wes Clark dissing McCain and my anger towards him came back.
I suffered as a Lieutenant , A co 1st Platoon when Clark had 1/77 Armor, 4th ID, Fort Carson in the early 80's. Long story short, we all despised him. He was the biggest reason I left the Army. 25 years late, I still get upset. If he becomes VP, we should leave the country.
He wanted to fight the Russians in Kosovo.

Anyway, I took the anger test and scored very high. It is more anger and frustration with life, injustice, stupid people, failures and disappointments. So, I guess I need session 6 more than I ever thought. I'd rather stay on 5 though. HAHAHA.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:45 pm

I realized I DO have lots of anger, but it's all usually very well hidden inside. Part of it has to be hidden because I serve the public and have to just take it, I feel. People think I'm so nice and sweet because I may have been so professional to an irrational customer, but inside I'm flipping out. Outside I'm as cool as a clam. That can't be good.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:53 am

Hi MusicFan,
I agree- I couldn't relate either. When I'm ticked off, I'm pretty straight-forward and assertive (one of the few positive traits I've managed to maintain throughout this rollercoaster of madness).

I like how Mary substituted irritability in place of anger. In the past I've had a difficult time carrying grudges with former work colleagues who I really don't care about. I know, sounds cruel and callous and evidently, I DO care because otherwise I wouldn't waste time thinking of more things I would have/could have said... hum? Maybe I will revisit that lesson after all.
fischee

Hey Mitzy- I just read this catty magnet that called gossiping "networking". It made me laugh to think of "mental networking" with yourself. Let's see, which personality shall I mental network with today?! HA/HA :D

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:07 am

Wow! I just posted the same sentiments (initially having a hard time relating to Session 6 and feeling a bit of a letdown) on our June Peer Group forum. I did find three things I could use: First, that anger produces the same physical symptoms as anxiety. I can relate to that! Second, that counting to 10 and maybe even waiting 24 hours isn't just good advise for kids:) Finally, the "resolve or dissolve" concept really makes sense to me.
I was tempted to spend a couple days on Session 6 and then move on to Session 7, but I decided to stick with it. Usually I get opportunities to get irritated at work :) and so I will practice the three things I mentioned above this week.
Hope you all have a good upcoming week!
Darb

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”