Empowering Group Program Run-through part6

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
THH

Re: Empowering Group Program Run-through part6

Post by THH » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm sick. I started feeling achy yesterday and running a temp. been laying around a lot. Coughing and head ache. It could be the flu? I'm doing alright, just being calm, know I will get better.
Figures it is Friday, I did put a call into the doctor, we'll see if anyone calls back. It may just have to run its coarse. But I do feel bad. :(

I'll read everyone's post and catch up soon as I feel better! ;)

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Hey THH and Everyone,
Sorry to hear you are down. I got a bug right before Thanksgiving. Kicked it with a lot of vitamin C and rest. Hope you are up and running again soon.

I don't think I commented on lesson 5 so I will have to come back around and put in my two cents.

As far as this anger lesson goes it's a big one. What I have seen the most in my story and others is the truth that underneath most anger is fear. Having the courage to look at the fear, un-layer it and problem solve seems to big a big hurdle. It's much easy to just blame and be angry. I have read that anger is not a primary emotion and again it usually follows fear more specifically fear of loss.

This is a good lesson to take your time with. See if there are any shoulds/expectations that are part of your story.

I also struggled with getting frustrated over the little things and giving my peace away. Over the years and I have developed more self-control and discipline and learned to let go of the small stuff. It's just not worth my peace. Know what is worth fighting for and then learn to do it in a healthy way. Lesson 7 will build on this and bring in more tools too.

Happy Friday Everyone. Hugs and Prayers
Coach Chris StressCenter.com
888-480-6785
stresscoachmattice@gmail.com

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:06 pm

Lesson 2 suggested sitting down and looking at post cards as a way of calming oneself down and I've used this since lesson 3 and it works good so i'm going to start to share some of the pictures that I've found that I really enjoy and I hope you guys find them as helpful as I have.

It has taken me awhile but I finally read through lesson 6...I was definately putting things off while focusing on some of my picture projects and to be honest, I was afraid of looking at my anger and afraid of my confrontation limitation and so I think I backed off a bit although still used the relaxation cd at least once a day.

I also read that story at the end of lesson 6 about play and having fun and when you don't have that then it can make you feel unbalanced. I'm finding this to be true and actually I think this has caused me alot of anxiety over the last well since we started the program, it was what was really bothering me. I would load up my day with productive things and I wouldn't let myself watch a show that I wanted to watch or play a game or anything fun, it just felt like work. I'm also noticing that one of my fears when it comes to facing my limitations is that I'm going to get stuck just doing work and have no time to play or relax. Something to look at.

There really is like Coachchris said, fear underneath the anger. I'm seeing it definately. I was working through the workbook questions where it said to give 2 examples and what I found with the anger is that fear of not being respected and walked all over in both examples but then there was a fear of being rejected, not liked and missing out on opportunities (or at least in the one situation since it was a side job where I was making a bit extra money).
In the work one, I tried to hint at it and that really didn't work. The lady was responding to me in a really angry and nasty tone of voice and I asked her if she was angry because she is coming across as such and she said she wasn't feeling angry and it was just a cultural thing. I thought I didn't know how to approach it but really, I knew exactly what to say at the moment, it was loud and clear in my head but out of fear of losing the opportunity to make money, I just didn't say anything and as a result I just enabled her to continue talking to me like that. What I wanted to say was that I didn't appreciate how she is talking to me and if she wants me to help her out that she needs to speak with me in a more respectful tone of voice....or at least just tell her the first part about not appreciating how she is talking with me....I didn't and I let her make me miserable for 2 months and instead of it just going away, she actually escalated and was becoming manipulative.

CoachChris;
what would you consider small stuff?
And how would you suggest being assertive with people who aren't that close to you and don't actually care about how you feel?

I'm greatful for great quotes in tv shows that I can use to make pictures out of for my projects
my accomplishment for today was going through lesson 6 in the workbook

Mike

MapleLane

Post by MapleLane » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:12 am

So guys... I DID IT!
We travelled all the way down to visit the relative :) it took about 6 hours down (some bad roads and weather) and about 5 hours back.

I didn't know I was going to do it and in fact had told my husband that morning that I was planning only on achieving the stateside breakfast and that was more than enough for me. He said 'let's do breakfast and just see how you feel'.
Well I felt really crappy about it - very anxious and feeling sick from the anxiety and overwhelmed by the task ahead of me.

It suddenly occurred to me to take an Ativan right then. As I said I usually just take one when I have a panic attack I can't seem to get under control or am not in a space I can relax in. But I remembered a couple summers ago I wanted to meet a friend downtown and my option to get there was the city bus - that morning as well I had wanted to do it without a med but then thought, 'do I want to spend the morning fighting panic just to prove I can do it without Ativan help, or do I want to start off in a calmer state of mind and ENJOY my time with my friend?' They are BOTH forms of success!
I took the Ativan that morning and it made all the difference. I didn't even feel a need to take another as the day went on because I'd started off well and continued well (dealing with lesser degrees of anxiety off and on).

So I applied that to the cross border trip. I think it was also a good idea because not only would it help me calm down and enjoy things but it would keep me from associating the very high levels of stress and anxiety/panic with crossing the border. I might have unwittingly allowed myself to reinforce the idea that crossing the border brings panic by not having ensured a calmer state of mind via the Ativan, and that could make subsequent attempts just as difficult.

Anyways, I started calming down. I was still anxious but doing much better. The border crossing went well. Then we went to get money at a gas station before going to the restaurant and I suddenly just thought 'lets keep going'. So I said that. And we just kept driving onward.

About an hour into it I got really emotional - just happy - I kind of couldn't believe I was doing it. Traveling outside of my 'areas' is one of my biggest fears and limitations, and it was almost like I was looking down on myself there in the car and I realized I was doing it! This was WAY out of my area!

I'm not saying any of that to brag in a bad way, but to celebrate and to try and explain what it felt like.

Various points of the trip brought various degrees of anxiety - it wasn't all clear sailing but I managed it each time it came up (and without any more meds).

Travel is not suddenly easy now but I am so encouraged by that trip and by somehow managing to achieve something I truly thought was far beyond my capabilities. (Not to say we should feel pressured to make those leaps - they're not always a great idea! I know that first hand!)

One lesson I am taking away from this is that it seems to be a good idea for me to start off in a calmer place - to not force myself to wait until I'm in total panic to take the Ativan. I will remain responsible with that medication but I could possibly achieve way more if I allowed myself to make use of it a little more often and earlier on.

ForeverYoung - yes :) I remembered that idea on the trip - feeling the fear and doing it anyways. For me this time it also included feeling the emotional tiredness and doing it anyways.

I'd brought a book of meditations with me on the trip and laid in bed the night previous to the drive into America reading a few and read one which contained the words
'Light the lamp. Though the oil has run out, light the lamp anyway, and we'll do what we can.'
(The full meditation gives more context to this but I think this is sufficient for here).
There are times to step back and rest but I felt this was a time to move forward despite my body and mind telling me in many ways that it wasn't going to happen.

It still feels a little unreal that I did it. I am far from 'cured' but I really felt the world open up in front of me as I did that. I felt ME open those possibilities for myself!
Last edited by MapleLane on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MapleLane

Post by MapleLane » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:15 am

What I'm grateful for: a warm home during this bitter cold! Very grateful!!

What I accomplished: completing immediately a couple things I would usually procrastinate on.

MapleLane

Post by MapleLane » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:26 am

By the way, I liked what Ninja said about the facing your fears aspect. To not put huge pressures on ourselves over it and to keep on with our progress in whatever form it is taking.

I just happened to make a giant unexpected leap this week - It is a great success for me but does not make my progress more of a success than anyone else's. I typically progress at a much slower, less dramatic pace :) I guess it just happened to be my time for a jump in my progress.

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:35 am

wow maplelane good job. I hope to be there some day. that is my worst fear is going long distance from home. I have at one time gotten about 60 miles from home but that was 7 yrs ago and I have fell back as starting another attempt in a different directions and feel and have't gotten up yet. I am trying to not dwell and beat myself up so doing the best I can. don't feel like you are bragging we need to hear your success as it may help us.

mike I like the pictures they are comforting. we all are going forward and that is a good thing. we will get there.

THH I am sorry to hear you are sick. just take care of your self you can catch up as there is no time frame here which is a good thing. also this is a busy time of year. I have been busy the last several days I had to keep my grand kids firday night and sat night. we made candy sat. yesterday I rested today the dog goes back to the vet. I am trying to catch up my self.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:28 am

Great job MapleLane. Great job for having the courage to do it as well as succeed and go beyond your original expectations of just doing the breakfast thing and thank you for playing the greatful/accomplishment game with me.

ForeverYoung;
I'm glad you like the pictures, i'll continue to post them then...Also I wanted to say that catching thoughts and replacing them is only one way to change the way you think, there are many different ways out there, the pictures with the quotes are another way. If you find them comforting and soothing then you'd like benefit from printing them off and looking at them on a regular basis and switch up which ones you focus on, on a daily basis. Mindfulness is yet another way which helps you separate yourself from your thoughts by seeing them as thoughts.

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm back! :)
It was the flu, aching moaning flu. Fever, chills head ache. miserable. I am doing better now, still not 100% but happy that I am feeling more energy.
Interestingly enough being on the anger session, I found my self angry that I was sick. So close to Christmas and so much to do, I don't have time to be sick, not alone being sick.
I was angry because I didn't feel like eating and I knew I should. People still called on the phone, and no body except 1 friend gave a hoot that I was sick. Everyone just wanted business as usual and that ticked me off. I read Coach Chris post and look for expectations in there and again gave me some thoughts.
Why do I expect slack from people when I am sick. Nobody owes me that. Although it would be nice it really is an expectation.
So I seen another part of me that I don't like! LOL... Maybe my fear is not really being sick but the pressure I put on myself to keep the household and business running while I am sick. To know in so many days I am having a bunch of people at my house. Just add every pressure I can find and toss it on myself.

I let it go, I let it all go and quit fighting being sick. Did not answer the phone, went to bed and pulled the covers over my head. I feared the fever and how much medicine I was taking. I took Tylenol and having HA the warning label said not to take 6 in 24 hours. I stressed for 2 days on how many I was taking. With a fever I could not keep it straight where 24 hours started and stopped. My friend helped me here and I will share if it helps another person great!!
She had my get 6 nickels.( each nickel represents 500mg.) 24 starts at midnight each night. Every time I took a Tylenol I put a nickel in a different pile. This gave me a visual of how many more I could safely take before midnight. I know to some people this may sound crazy but for me it gave me peace and control. I was afraid I would get liver damage if I took more than the directed dose. Anyway it helped me!!! :)

I also have looked at this anger session differently. I guess I always assumed that a person gets angry when someone gets in a quarrel or someone gets hurt feelings. I never looked at my inner personal anger when things don't go my way, or I am not in control. Being too hard on myself and having expectations that if you do everything right you will always get the right outcomes. It is a new view. I will have to think about this more too.
This can be helpful when things break too. What we expect equipment to run perfect from the time we get it forever? I can get mad when something breaks, when I call for support, fixing billing problems. I must expect life to run smooth all the time. Interesting... I get it :!:

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”