Working with a Difficult Co-Worker

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
Pamela64

Working with a Difficult Co-Worker

Post by Pamela64 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:57 pm

I need good advice. I have a co-worker who is extremely difficult to get along with. I thought it was just me but I have since learned that many people feel the same way as I do. However, I feel like I may be about the only one who lets him get to me. He "rubs" people the wrong way. He has been caught in many lies and will do anything and say anything to make himself look good. I am a secretary and he is always making sarcastic and demeaning remarks about secretaries within my earshot. He will ask me to do small belitting jobs like find him a ruler, watch for his incoming fax. How can I learn to "let him go" and not let him get to me. I am letting him steal my joy. He is only a co-worker not my boss.

coachchris

Re: Working with a Difficult Co-Worker

Post by coachchris » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Pamela,

Thank you for your post and reaching out. It's great to hear that you are wanting to take control of how you respond to him. That is very wise of you. I would try and shift right into thankful thoughts about your job and other co-workers that you like. Usually I pray for people who I don't get along with. It helps me to exit my negative thinking and gives me a different perspective. Have you ever confronted his behavior in an assertive, respectful way? We do this by using I messages and sticking with the facts.
Whenever I am practicing assertive behavior I have to be prepared with what I want to say and expect some adrenalin to come with it.

Hope this helps:) Keep us posted.
Coach Chris

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”