Anyone on session 6

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
hopeful12

Re: Anyone on session 6

Post by hopeful12 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:02 am

Hi Lyndalu,

I am so sorry that you are feeling so blue. I also have joint problems -- I have fibromyalgia and possibly RA or lupus -- they are still looking. So far the best thing has been, doing physical therapy which you can look up the exercises on the internet if you cannot afford PT. Gentle stretching and yoga. Can you afford to get some vitamin D and B complex. Both of those are helpful for stress. Compared to all of the medication and things the doctor did for me, the best most helpful thing was this program and time passing. And the Peace of Body, Peace of Mind book I told you about. Check the library. I will include you in my prayers today and all of you on this board. I always feel better when I know others are praying for me. Breathe in and out and take one minute at a time.

God Bless!

Dixiesmom

Post by Dixiesmom » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:12 am

I am starting session 6. I think this will also be an important lesson for me. One of the biggest things I need to work on is thinking before I react when I'm angry. I can't even begin to remember how many times I've exploded in anger and made things worse and ended up regretting it later. I'm usually not what I would think of as an angry person (maybe I am and don't realize it). I guess I let a lot of little irritations get to me over time and then something happens and I explode with anger. I must remember to stop and count or walk away from the situation to give myself time to cool off.

Lyndalu,
I will be thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers. I also had a breakdown, I try to let it stay in the past as much as possible. That is who I was, NOT who I am and who I am becoming. Do not try to mark or remember negative anniversaries. You don't need to put yourself back in that place. Instead, mark any small accomplishment you have made and make that the anniversary you remember. One small step at a time...

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:20 pm

hopeful12 wrote:Hi Lyndalu,

I am so sorry that you are feeling so blue. I also have joint problems -- I have fibromyalgia and possibly RA or lupus -- they are still looking. So far the best thing has been, doing physical therapy which you can look up the exercises on the internet if you cannot afford PT. Gentle stretching and yoga. Can you afford to get some vitamin D and B complex. Both of those are helpful for stress. Compared to all of the medication and things the doctor did for me, the best most helpful thing was this program and time passing. And the Peace of Body, Peace of Mind book I told you about. Check the library. I will include you in my prayers today and all of you on this board. I always feel better when I know others are praying for me. Breathe in and out and take one minute at a time.

God Bless!
My sister has RA and she is taking medicine for it from her Rheumatologist. She gets along way better than I do and she
goes to work every day. She is a very strong person and just keeps on going no matter what the pain.
She walks and does gardening with an occassional trip to the gym.

I already had some PT on my left shoulder last year and it hurt like heck.
After four sessions I could not continue. I have never experienced pain like that before !
My sister said that a co-worker of hers had a shoulder issue similar to mine and that the lady
co-worker had to have surgery on it ! I don't want surgery.

I am supposed to be taking Vitamin D and Calcium for my osteoporosis, but I haven't purchased any yet.
The only B Vitamin I have taken is a series of B12 injections for my B12 deficiency.

I know that I need to move my body around more but all I do is sit here because moving around hurts.
It is sort of a double edged sword with joint pain. I sit around because moving my body makes it hurt, but in
order to help my joints and to feel better I have to move my body around.

Thanks for the "God Bless".

Wishing you good health and a happy Wednesday.

Lynda

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Dixiesmom wrote:I am starting session 6. I think this will also be an important lesson for me. One of the biggest things I need to work on is thinking before I react when I'm angry. I can't even begin to remember how many times I've exploded in anger and made things worse and ended up regretting it later. I'm usually not what I would think of as an angry person (maybe I am and don't realize it). I guess I let a lot of little irritations get to me over time and then something happens and I explode with anger. I must remember to stop and count or walk away from the situation to give myself time to cool off.

Lyndalu,
I will be thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers. I also had a breakdown, I try to let it stay in the past as much as possible. That is who I was, NOT who I am and who I am becoming. Do not try to mark or remember negative anniversaries. You don't need to put yourself back in that place. Instead, mark any small accomplishment you have made and make that the anniversary you remember. One small step at a time...
That is one of my biggest problems concerning Session Six too . . . thinking before I react. I always have something
coming out of my mouth before I think about what I am really saying and it's consequences ! I need to take a ten
second break to think about whether what I am saying is going to be effective or destructive. I don't think I ever
really explode with anger, but a lot of little irritations really get to me too.

NO MORE CELEBRATING NEGATIVE ANNIVERSARIES. Time to let go of who I WAS and be the person I want to be NOW.

God Bless,

Lynda

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:31 am

I spent some time with my elderly mother today. I took her to her doctors appointment and to the drugstore.
I did okay on the first part of my visit with her in the morning. By the afternoon I was becoming irritated
and "short" with her. I realized that I was being irritated because I had not really eaten all day long and I
really had to eat something. My body was not being nourished with any kind of energy and so I was going
along throughout my day with no energy. Once we were back at her place I had something to eat and then
I was fine. Has anyone ever had this happen to them ? Maybe their blood sugar was all messed up from not
eating and then that made them annoyed and irritated ? I think a person could get angry, irritated or annoyed
if they were eating the wrong kinds of foods also, like too many stimulants ?
I hope everyone had a great Thursday :) .
Lynda Lu

peony

Post by peony » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:44 am

Hi Lynda,
Hi I see your posts a lot! I do a lot of computer time too.

Maybe you are hypoglycemic. I have a friend who has to eat often because of it. She carries a bit of food in her purse just in case she needs it. She has small snack between meals. She has to. I think you can be tested for this.

Yes, I definitely think coffee and sugar have a big effect on me. Have pretty much eliminated coffee, regular tea and chocolate (Caffrine) and I am almost scared to have a cup of coffee. After not having coffee for a few weeks I had one 1st thing in the am. (I was visiting and I didnt want to appear impolite) I was a nervous wreck the rest of the day.
Sugar, that's another thing... I might be addicted to sugar. Slowly going off it.

Nice to see you took your mom out. Hope you're having a good day today.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:48 pm

peony wrote:Hi Lynda,
Hi I see your posts a lot! I do a lot of computer time too.

Maybe you are hypoglycemic. I have a friend who has to eat often because of it. She carries a bit of food in her purse just in case she needs it. She has small snack between meals. She has to. I think you can be tested for this.

Yes, I definitely think coffee and sugar have a big effect on me. Have pretty much eliminated coffee, regular tea and chocolate (Caffrine) and I am almost scared to have a cup of coffee. After not having coffee for a few weeks I had one 1st thing in the am. (I was visiting and I didnt want to appear impolite) I was a nervous wreck the rest of the day.
Sugar, that's another thing... I might be addicted to sugar. Slowly going off it.

Nice to see you took your mom out. Hope you're having a good day today.
Well, I have been on the computer a lot lately since re-starting the program. I guess I would rather be on
the website and / or sending e-mails than watching television ( which is starting to disinterest me in the
long run ). I am, though, working on the program with the workbook and the CD's. I am journaling, but not
every single day and I am trying to read self-help and / or inspirational books on the side. In addition
to that I try to listen to some sort of relaxation CD once a day. I really do think the program takes a lot
of time out of a persons day / week, although according to Lucinda it really does not. I am alone and
unemployed, so I have time in my day to carve out for the parts of the program I want to work on on that day.
But a lot of people work stressful jobs with overtime and then have to come home to a family and
children and tasks to do at home. How are they going to find the time to quietly listen to a program CD,
or the opportunity to listen to a relaxation CD. Then there is reading the workbook and taking the time
to get your thoughts together to journal. Some folks don't like to journal because it is like a diary.

In regards to the food, I have been doing good while I am at home in a controlled food environment.
When I am at my mom's house I tend to break the rules with caffeine or sugar and those are the times
that I need to control it the most, when I am around her. I had some caffeine and sugar the last time
I saw her, I felt so weak that I did that. I failed at the "diet". I should know that when I am around her
( she sometimes stresses me out ) that I need to be on my best "diet" behavior. At home I have
no caffiene in my apartment and no sugar, so it is a controlled food environment. I am ready to make
a trip to the grocery store tomorrow and so I will have to remember to get some fruit ( for something
sweet) and some protein. I don't do very well with eating enough protein at home. Coffee was
easy to eliminate at my apartment because I gave my coffee pot to my mom and so I have no coffee
pot ! Ha Ha. Yeah, I agree, sugar is my weakness too and I am quite addictive. But the most recent
times I HAVE had the sugar and the coffee and the tea I have ended up feeling terrible. Coffee makes
me SO shaky, I did not ever think that would happen to me !

Well, anyhow, this is way off base I am sure for this Session Six section here. Oh Well !
Lynda Lu :)

peony

Post by peony » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:44 am

Hi Lynda,

I think the food intake thing is appropriate on EVERY session because foods affect our thinking.

Isn't it the truth! When I go out to eat at restaurant or someone's house, that's a danger point for dietary slipping.
And ironically that's the times when we need to be clear with other people, and in top form.

I actually had a problem with anger on Friday. I was stressed because I had a lot of negative anticipation about going to see a relative about 2 hrs away. My girlfriend was driving; she was doing some errands too. She was 1/2 hr late picking me up, and I lost it and got mad, even though she apologized. We straightened it out. I apologized and explained that it was misplaced anger that was caused by my anxiety over other things. She was okay with it but it was a good lesson in the 24 hr rule. The day turned out great and there was enough time for everything we had to do.

Tomorrow I start session 7. Looking forward to it. I tend to be either passive or inappropriately angy. About 18 yrs ago I took an assertiveness course which resulted in me writing a letter to a church where I saw a racist puppet show. The performer changed his show. It was probably one of proudest achievements I have had involving being assertive.

I need to get some tips on expressing myself in a way where people will hear me out.

Cheers. Hope you are having a calm and happy day.

Dixiesmom

Post by Dixiesmom » Thu May 03, 2012 3:28 pm

Lynda,
Hope all is well. Have you marked any positive anniversaries? I also think what we eat / drink or what we don't eat / drink can affect us. Your body is tied together and everything works together, so not eating can definitely affect you. I drank a Dr. Pepper today and I'm feeling the effects of it. (Never sure whether it's affect or effect - that used to mess me up in school too). Generally, I don't caffeine, but I've been just a little off "normal" this week and I had some today and I can tell it, now I'm jittery too!
I've done 2 weeks of session 6, don't feel like I worked it real well the first week. Not sure about the second time around either, but I will move on next week. I know what I need to do, I just need to put it in practice. I've been short with my children this week. I think that my lack of sleep this past week has played a major role in my impatience. I truly believe that not getting enough sleep or lack of quality sleep can really have consequences on our anger issues.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat May 05, 2012 4:19 pm

peony wrote:Hi Lynda,
I actually had a problem with anger on Friday. I was stressed because I had a lot of negative anticipation about going to see a relative about 2 hrs away. My girlfriend was driving; she was doing some errands too. She was 1/2 hr late picking me up, and I lost it and got mad, even though she apologized. We straightened it out. I apologized and explained that it was misplaced anger that was caused by my anxiety over other things. She was okay with it but it was a good lesson in the 24 hr rule. The day turned out great and there was enough time for everything we had to do.
Hi peony:

It sounds like you did quite well, actually, on dealing with your misplaced anger in the situation with your friend.
Good Job ! You are using all of the skills that you are learning in the program and putting them into action in real life.

I still get "short" with my mother and I notice that my voice will sound a bit irritated occassionally when I
am around her. So, I am aware of the issue now and I need to start trying harder on working to resolve it.

I believe I am becoming a better listener when I am around my mother and this is something that I have
wanted to work on for a long time. I have a tendency to talk too much and interrupt during a conversation.

I was just visiting with my elderly mother the past two days and I used the relaxation tape one afternoon.
I just relaxed in a recliner in her livingroom while I listened to all three tracks of the relaxation CD!
My marathon CD session actually worked and I was refreshed afterwards.
I always bring the relaxation CD along with me when I go over to spend a couple of days with her,
as well as some sort of self-help / inspirational book to read.

Lynda

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”