Living With Elderly Parents

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
DonnaH

Living With Elderly Parents

Post by DonnaH » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Maybe someone out there can help me with my anger over being stuck living with and taking care of my elderly parents. I know I might sound selfish but all of my parents medical problems are ones that they have control over. It's almost like they just gave up caring for themselves medically because they know I'll be there to take care of them. If the problems where things they had no control over I wouldn't mind helping at all, but it's hard to watch a diabetic eat candy all day or a man whose joints are so bad he can't button his own shirt not get a simple injection to help stop the pain and swelling. Both my parent could help themselves but just won't do it! So it falls to me to be the maid, cook, housekeeper, errand girl and so on. I can't even get a job now because of them and that really makes me angry. I've come a long ways in this program and for the first time in over 5 years I'm ready to get out and have some fun, get a job and live my life! But I can't and I need some real words of wisdom please!

DARLENEK

Re: Living With Elderly Parents

Post by DARLENEK » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Donna, I can completely understand where you are coming from. My mother has been living with us since 1984, and has gotten more challenging through the years.
Not only is she lazy, sloppy and argumentive, but she has had anxiety and depression since I can remember, and I'm 55 years old. Although she is still self sufficient to a point as far as driving and getting around, she is very difficult to live with. The cause for my anxiety problems stems from living with this woman in full blown panic attacks to telling us she was going to kill herself. For an 8 or 10 year old, that is terrifyin. Why is she still with us. Plain and simple GUILT!
Sine studying this program, which has only been a few weeks, I have been trying to let her affect less. That is really the best answer I can give you. Take a deep breath and try to calm down. I realize your problem is more difficult then mine, as you are so prohibited as to what you can do. I know it's hard to think of, but have you considered assisted living? As guilty sd zi would feel, if things got that paralizing for me, I would have to revert to that.
I hope I helped just to let you know someone else is sort of feeling your pain. I hope things get better for you. Write back if you need to. Take care, Darlene

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”