Can't Remember When I've Been This Angry...

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
Mina's Man

Can't Remember When I've Been This Angry...

Post by Mina's Man » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi, my name is Reginald and I guess I just have to vent to somebody. First off, I don't even belong in this session. I just started session 5. But I got so frustrated and ticked this afternoon, I just had to blow off steam :evil:

I filed for my Social Security last month when I turned 62 (a long story). I'm currently receiving a pension from the Coast Guard which I retired from some years ago. Anyway, S. Security told me that they needed proof (in originals only) that I was a retiree. As it turns out, the package I received years ago from the Guard was copies.

So, today, I called (OPM) to request original copies of my retirement package. Well, when was the last time you tried to speak to a "live" person over the phone these days. "Press 1 for this, Press 2 to speak Espanol, press 6 to shoot yourself, or hold and one of our friendly assistants will be with you shortly."

Well, after waiting almost 25 minutes on hold, the phone starts ringing. Then, in the background, I hear the faint sound of a busy signal... :o then I was disconnected. :!:

Ever tried call someone back after getting disconnected? :evil: Forget about it. I got so angry, I actually tossed the phone against the wall, almost breaking it.

So I get the bright Idea to email my request to them. And I did get a response...an automated response informing me it would take anywhere from 15 to 20 (or even more) days to get back to me. Of course by that time my Social Security claim will probably be cancelled (they already informed that this would happen). :evil:

Well, after I calmed down a little I put on Lucinda's relaxation tape. Even her soothing voice only barely cut through my frustration, but it helped. I did some exercise and that bought it down a few more notches. I guess I'll survive :roll:
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this...I just had to vent... :evil:

Reginald (Thinking that working for the government sure has changed since I was doing it. At least we answered the damn phones). :x

bunny rabbit

Re: Can't Remember When I've Been This Angry...

Post by bunny rabbit » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi Reginald: It sounds like after being disconnected you needed a good time out to get out of the house, or clean the whole house using all that angry energy on doing something healthy and productive. I hope you get this mess straightened out in a peaceful way. I realize how incredibly frustrated you must feel. I find I really have to self-talk to calm myself down when angry. "I'm going to leave this now and come back to it tomorrow. It just not worth it to get so angry, I'm only hurting myself. I can't change other people, I can only change how I react to them. I'll feel better in an hour or so. What can I do right now to feel better? Go for a walk, write an angry letter to get out my feelings (which I don't send), pray the Serenity Prayer ... Hope this helps. Blessings from bunny

Mina's Man

Post by Mina's Man » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:53 pm

Hello Bunny: Yes, your message did help. I really should know better than to get so angry, but the experience was soooo frustrating. Anyway, the exercise program that I'm now down (3 weeks in) is really helping to burn off stress. I've even managed to cut back on the sugar (well, maybe a little). :oops:

I don't know about any of you but I found out that great stress can cause outbreaks of hives :o

That's one of the reasons why I came back to this program after a 4 year absence. I started getting these itchy, red things that were driving me nuts. I already knew that I was under a great deal of pressure (financial, elderly parent, personal). I also knew that I am a long-time sufferer of food allergies.

After completely eliminating those foods which I knew could bother me, I found that I still could break out in these hives. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what was going on :geek:

So, here I am, back again. Feeling better, but far from 100% ;)
Reg

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Wow, I miss live people on phones as well! ;) I don't enjoy waiting to talk to a pharmacist and get an AD! Or the dentist office, same things. Just let me listen to the music or nothing. Please..no AD. Ugh.

Things have changed...I hope things work out with your pension or retirement. Paislee :mrgreen:

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”