Angry and alone

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
marialuv19

Angry and alone

Post by marialuv19 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Hey Everyone,

It's been such a long road up til this point already. I'm really greatful that I'm here and able to share my feelings. I have had anger issues--I've blown up and flown off the handle many times before---because I was paying tooo much attention to other people and what they were doing. I think this is one of the main reasons I'm not in a relationship currently with anyone. I feel as if my anger is written all over my face---I sometimes find myself speaking in a harsh tone of voice with people in general! I think I have turned off men with my seemingly uninterested personality. I always feel like if the other person KNOWS I like them--then they will like me less or not at all---I know thats stupid and makes no sense but then when they actually DO back off and turn away I get sooooo angry and scared thinking "God, they went sooo fast, they must not have really liked me at all!"

Anyways...I want to get rid of this baggage that I carry with me---It's like I'm mad that I even have anxiety---I've had it for years. I'm mad that this happened to me....I feel like I got everything in life that I didnt want. I feel like I have ruined my reputation bc of this problem that I have---I feel like maybe people don't want to come near me--- :cry: ....or think im "crazy". I'm sooo embarrassed about this problem...and truthfully I don't ever want to get angry again. Does anyone have any advice?
TY

AimCat

Re: Angry and alone

Post by AimCat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:39 am

Hi, I just wanted to reach out to you. I know how I feel when I feel angry and alone, and it feels awful. Anger is one of my issues too. Apparently it's all written on my face too. I was without depression for almost 2 years, and one of my big hints that it was back was increasing arguments with my husband who accuses me of being "mad."

If I don't feel mad, and I'm trying to figure out why he's saying this, then I start to get mad -- or madder. And of course there's my mother, who always seems to irritate me. Sometimes, I just don't want to bother meeting people or making friends with people because they seem so irritating to me.

During my last bout of depression, I overheard one of my boys commenting to the other, "Mom's always mad." They were 7 and 10. I so wanted to never be in that position again -- yelling, screaming, mad.

I'm mortified to be here again, alternately anxious and angry. I don't have any great advice -- what does the program say??
It is worth it, though, no matter how many times you have to start over. You can always reinvent yourself. You can gain peace of mind with yourself. Others will notice -- or if they don't, who needs 'em?

With my kids -- I guess with people who mattered to me -- I explained how hard I worked to get in a better frame of mind and I asked them if they'd noticed. I just couldn't stand the thought of taking the chance that they might not and I would be frozen in their minds as "always mad." If an exchage between us went swimmingly -- I gave the permission they wanted or didn't blow up over literal spilled milk -- I would ask if they'd thought I'd get mad. Of course they said yes. But instead of that making me mad, I'd tell them this was how I was now, happier and less worried and mad-feeling.

With adults I cared about, I tried sharing a little bit about having been depressed which made me irritable and hard to be around. I apologized to people for maybe having been rude to them in the past. Some people just blew me off, and sometimes the most unlikely people said very positive things like that I looked and sounded better and that depression is horrible. So keep those people as friends. Now, whenever I meet an angry person, I just assume they are depressed, and I say a prayer for them.

What I'm trying to say is that your reputation is in your hands. You can find joy and peace and relax.

Hang in there.

marialuv19

Post by marialuv19 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. As I read it today my mother was making me angry by something that she said. I often find people irritating as well sometimes--I used to think people were soooo sensitive --that they couldnt take anything I said to them!! It seems as if the people who are in my life are the people who themselves are mad, have an attitude as well and are depressed. I'm really doing what I can to alleviaTE THE syptoms by exercising, eating healthy and doing the program. This is about us being healthy and doing what we need to do for ourselves so that we feel good and the people we love in our lives get the best of us. Thank you for sharing about your family and how you overheard your boys say that "mom is always mad". I'm sure that helped you change :) You said your depression went away for 2 years---HOW? Did you also have anxiety as well? How did you get to a better place that you mentioned?

I really hope that I can have postive healthy relationships with others ones day...I saw the royal wedding between Kate and William today--I wondered if I would ever get to wear a beautiful white wedding dress one day myself. It looks so feminine and gentle---I feel so hostile and bitter.

Thanks, I will keep hanging in there--hope you stay well too :)

AimCat

Post by AimCat » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:19 am

Marialuv: That's a great name -- or "handle."

It’s funny that you mentioned your mother. My mother is wound pretty tight and is pretty much guaranteed to drive me right up the wall shortly after any conversation between us is initiated. So out of the blue today when I was visiting her, she said that recently she’d realized about herself that she invariably found herself saying, “That’s really irritating,” about a great number of occurances in her life. That saying this to herself had become a habit. (I was awesomely aware enough not to tell her that she also tended to say this out lout a lot, too. Yay, me.) She said she didn’t know if she was really irritated about so many things or if her saying this to herself so often caused her to begin to actually being irritated by many things in her life. (I am staring at her agape by this point.)

So my mom says that she’s made it a goal to break this habit. When she catches herself thinking “That’s so irritating,” she plans to stop and change the thought into a positive one.

I was amazed at this. Just imagine really uptight mom – it irritates her when my children aren’t wearing matching socks – and then imagine her saying this. I’m taking this as yet more evidence that any of us can change any part of our attitudes that we want to, with the help of our God.

Of course, a few hours later, I’m wondering if she was also trying to suggest that I, too, might benefit from embracing her self-improvement plan for myself. I do think it’s a pretty good idea, and I’ll probably try the same thing myself. I’m even so amazed that I’m feeling generous – or un-mean – enough right now to even tell her about it and give her credit.

I’m sorry the people in your life are not supporting you. It sounds like they have quite a few of their own challenges. When I’ve been depressed, my husband has not been the best support. He didn’t know much about depression, and I can’t say that he’s educated himself much about it since then. Each time I’ve become depressed, it seems I become aware of it because he and I are fighting so much. The first time I became seriously depressed, I thought the problem was our marriage. There were problems, but many, many of them just went away once my depression lifted. Nonetheless, unfortunately for me, my husband often falls into that category of people to whom the idea of depression is foreign and who react with disgust or indifference rather than compassion.

My husband has a lot of good points, but helping his spouse cope with depression has not been one of them, historically. I’m hoping this time might be different, but I don’t want to get my hopes up too high, and I’m willing to take this on myself or with other supporters to get back to my better place.

I’m really carrying on now, but you asked how my depression went away. I was in a bad place, either screaming crazy – mostly with my family – or catatonic (at work or with my family.) I was anxious. I called in sick a lot. I was afraid at work – afraid I would hurt someone, hoping for accidents. I was afraid of driving. I couldn’t stand to go to social occasions. I slept a lot. It was terrible. I tried a (really bad) therapist, Al-anon (because the therapist recommended it, Chinese herbs, anything I could, trying to avoid medication which my husband frowns on, (not knowing anything about it).

I think the anti-depressants, once I finally started on them, saved my life. I went off them twice, and both times, the depression returned. I found a better therapist and a new doctor, a naturopath who gave me vitamins and rechecked my thyroid, and last fall, I made it a goal to go off the meds again. And my husband wanted me to also. He said something like, “those meds make you act not like you,” which I thought was a pretty lousy thing to say considering that they made me and kept me sane so that we were still married and I was alive and he certainly wasn’t specific in just what way I wasn’t me.

And after I went off them he didn’t once ask me how I was feeling or how things were going without the meds or suggest that, yes, it was true, I did seem more like myself and he liked me that way, or any of the things I could imagine saying to him. But, as things started to go south, recently, he started in with “you’re just mad.” It never occurred to him to wonder if depression, my old friend, might have anything to do with it.

Okay, that’s my snarkyness about my husband for this evening.

So, anyway, meds really helped me get my feet back under me. And I really don’t want to be on them forever. I don’t really believe that the Lord made some people who are really only at their best when they’re taking anti-depressants. I wanted to find some way I could accept and cope with this part of me, in great part as an example to my kids that we can work hard to learn and grow and cope with difficult parts of ourselves without relying on drugs – licit or illicit.

I hope you can have positive, healthy relationships too. Do you have even one that’s a place to start from?

In terms of the storybook wedding, I heard an interview with Emmylou Harris on NPR today. I guess she’s 64 years old now. She mentioned that there is melancholy and wistfulness in the looking back, that she’s facing the realization that many of her dreams didn’t come true. But she also determined she didn’t want to fail to celebrate the good things that did happen to her and the way things did turn out.

There are lots of good things out there, good things for you, especially if you help yourself to them.

Hang in there. Take baby steps.

marialuv19

Post by marialuv19 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks again for the feedback....It means alot. I don't have anyone in my life that I talk to about my anxiety problems with...my family doesn't even know that I go to therapy. I've been going to therapy for over a year now and I also take medication --Lexapro--it's an anti-depressant as well. They do know about my problems, I have told them before but I guess I feel ashamed to tell them that I'm going again. This therapist I have is much much better than the last therapist I went too. I just don't know what to do sometimes..I need to be apart of a church I think, thats what I want to do. My family is Catholic but sometimes I just feel even more depressed going to Catholic church--it's soooo not uplifting---but it's all I've known growing up.

Anyway--just thinking about Church worries me--I really wonder if I'll ever get better---but I know one thing--my recovery is up to me. I was at a party today and I thought I was going to go crazzzy just being there. I was doing my breathing exercises for the first half of the party and praying for the last half...I thought I was gonna scream out--or freak out and have a breakdown right there. WHY DO WE THINK THESE THINGS--IT'S AN OBSESSSIVE THOUGHT!!! But one positive thing I did notice was that I didn't go crazy--I was able to drive my family there and back home safely ( thanks to God), sit in traffic nonetheless, AND not take a comment personally. At heart..I didn't even get offended--I didn't even CARE! I know it's so little but before the program I probably would've cared.

Anyway, I witnessed my mother have a nervous breakdown when I was a kid...and it was frightening but what if that happens to me? What if I lose all control ....maybe I need her medication --not the one im taking--she takes a mild anti-psychotic. I don't know what to do---am I crazy or not??

Thanks for sharing about your history with depression and it's effect on you. I know I have depression as well...my anger outbursts--I had them alot before therapy. But I'm still sad--I have my days--I actually went through a period where I was soooo scared I was going to hurt myself---you said you thought you were gonna hurt other pple--i'm sure that's scary too....it seems like the anxiety evolves over time--do u notice that? I don't think I ever had scary thoughts like that before. Anyways...I'm sorry this was sooo long. Please pray for me---and I will pray for you too :)
Blessings

AimCat

Post by AimCat » Mon May 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Marialuv: Nice to hear from you again. Good for you with your breathing through things at the party AND not taking a comment personally. I've already taken a few comments personally today...

I'm sorry about your experiencing your mom's nervous breakdown. How old were you? Was your dad around/supportive? That would be really scary to worry you might experience the same thing. In my mind, I think of my most severe depression as my "breakdown." I was only afraid I'd hurt myself when I thought about my kids or my co-workers when I was at work. I just grew to feel my husband would be better off without me.

I'm glad you have a good therapist, and it's good that you would like to be a part of church. I grew up Catholic too. We presently go to the Catholic church, and there are many things about it and its history that I do not like, but I need my individual faith, and I feel at home there. I've been doing more with my church recently. I went to a "book group" about the Catholic/Christian communities version of the Gallup Strengthsfinders book (http://www.amazon.com/Living-Your-Stren ... 1595620125). I met some really neat people at church that I wouldn't have known. (I recommend the Strengthsfinder survey/book to everyone! It gave me a new way to think about myself, my personality, some of my traits that cause conflict with others and yet a language for valuing myself.)

A couple of the women at the book group participate in a weekly women's Bible study, too. I haven't gone yet, but I keep thinking about it...

I know you're really busy, and you need to focus on yourself and your program. But when you're ready, I think following that urge to church is a good one.

I know you're going through a rough time. Hang in there. Celebrate those small victories.

marialuv19

Post by marialuv19 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi Aimcat,

How are you? This is the third time I'm writing this to you! It turns out you have to sign in FIRST then post a reply--otheriwse everthing you write will just go away!! Hope you're doing great--I have been listening to the audio sessions in my car and let me tell you---it has made a difference. There are sooo many distractions in the house that it's hard to give my undivided attention--especially a 45 minute session...but I do have to remember to do the workbook as well--thats something that im kinda neglecting.

My mom had her breakdown when I was about 12 yrs old...we could tell something was wrong. She was getting sick way before then...she slept alot ---she stopped cleaning/doing laundry. And then she started getting really paranoid about weird things---she was different you could tell. Then she couldnt sleep ---she thought people wanted to harm her---and me and my siblings. It was sooooo hard to describe---just writing about it gives me a knot in my stomach. There was nothing anybody could say to re-assure her that everything was ok---she was so afraid and frantic --she didnt want to go outside either---in the hospital she wouldnt eat bc she thought pple were going to poison her. She said when she went to the hospital --(she stayed there for a few weeks) she had the best sleep ever when they gave her medication. Everything is fine now--but she struggled with it for awhile. Now I'm the one who needs HELP :P

You also asked me if my father was supportive...he was as much as he could be after it happened....but I think he could have even prevented it. He was hardly ever around--working long hours--left her to do pretty much everything else--and he wasn't really supportive of her in other ways---caring about her feelings or validating them. He defineitelty didnt see that coming or thought she was gonna get sick. Don't get me wrong, he's a good man but he couldnt really agree with anything she said---he always told her how wrong she was--and how her opionions and judgments were wrong---it was a mess---he was totally blind to alot of things. Anyway..it was difficult growing up in my household...you could feel the tension. I cared for both my parents but it was hard ---my mom was sooooooo angrrry for so long. I never had anyone to talk about this with. Maybe that's why I was always scared of it? Everybody thinks I am just like her---looks and personality so I feel like maybe we share the same fate. That's always been my fear----what if I do that--or am I capable of that?

Anyways...I don't wanna bore u so I'm gonna end here. Thank you for that link to the strength finder--I love those things.
Bible study is AWESOME....I think you should go if you're thinking about it. The Bible has helped relax me at times--especially the gospels---and the Psalms really help with depression. I think it's a great idea to go. :D ...try listening to Christian music too--guaranteed to put you in a better mood instantly. "Our God is an awesome God" is a good song--you can check it out on youtube. "Open the eyes of my heart Lord"---another good one.
It's really nice to have someone to share these things with---I don't even know you but Thank you for reading.
:) ..God bless and be well Aimcat. CIAO!

AimCat

Post by AimCat » Wed May 11, 2011 12:14 am

Marialuv:

I'm really sorry for what you experienced when you were a girl and your mom was sick and your dad was clueless. Those things affect us so much.

How are you doing? I've been pretty good. I had an anxious day today -- had to teach some classes that I really wish were over and I hate feeling like I have short timer syndrome. I also have some anxieties over my kids' activities -- how lame is that? They aren't MY issues! What kind of parent am I that I'm not helping my kids deal with their own anxieties over actvities? Or what kind of parent am I that I'm not training them to roll with the punches better than I ever did?

Bleh.

It sounds like you are working the program very diligently. Good for you! The car is a good place -- that's where I always listened. How are you feeling angry and alone-wise?

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”