Dealing With Anger From The Past

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
Dominick

Post by Dominick » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:07 am

:)Until I started this session, I didn't realize I was holding on to things that happened in the past. This one of several issues from my past has bothered me the most. Way back in Junior High I let this one kid pick on me constantly throughout the year. Here it is almost 30 years later and it still angered me because I did nothing to stop it at the time. I blamed myself more than him. Lucinda brought up a very good point in this session. This person probably don't even remember who I am anymore yet I've been battling him for 30 years still making him a part of my life. Then I realized Lucinda's right that is ridiculous to hold on to old anger especially the only one it will anger is me. I'm learning to let it go and starting to feel better. Session 6 is a great eye opener for unecessary anger.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:18 pm

I agree. I too had some old anger, from years ago. Then I realized that I was the only one who remembered it, I let it go and it freed up a bunch of time, helped me feel better and I started thinking of some more pleasant things to replace that with. :)

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:20 am

I agree that this session was an eye opener. I've been so angry with the whole world and in certain things from my past and I took it out on the ones that were close to me. It is time to move forward though, and to maybe start laughing at some of the things I was so angry about.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:01 am

Yes this one is def. a eye opener. I never knew how much resentment I was holding on to. I am so glad to have this program and to be able to see the things in myself that need work. After listening to this - I decided to write a letter to my long lost father (left when I was 3) I forgave him for leaving me - I accepted that it was probably not with the intent of tearning me apart - then I realized that all this time I hated him for not being there for me. I always felt as if I NEEDED him and since he was not there I was destined to be ruined, broke - while writting my letter I realized that it was not his love that I needed but my own. I have let him go. I even visualized him leaving my body along w/all the thoughts I had of him. I have never felt so relieved!!

No I just have to do some digging and get threw the rest of my many angers and resentments!!

It's time to LET IT GO!!!

ladyjeweler

Re: Dealing With Anger From The Past

Post by ladyjeweler » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Wow, just reading everone's posts has made me realize my own anger from the past. Mine is mostly about what I felt were missed opportunities in school, work and even love and beating myself up for not taking them. Then I what-if think about it until I'm misearable. I let my fears rule so much of my life and it makes me angry.
I'm learning to let go and get my life back. It's freeing to let go and forgive myself and others.
I'm so thankful that I've found this program, it's a lot of work but these skills are important.

deb123

Re:

Post by deb123 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Guest wrote: to maybe start laughing at some of the things I was so angry about.
I like that idea. Before I restarted this program, I thought I was over something and apparently I wasn't. I need to let it go, really, and have started to, but I think if I laugh at it, or look at it in a more compassionate way towards myself, it might be better. Use that compassionate self talk to myself about it. And change how I see the past situations.

I've read how things are a learning experience. So maybe think of it that way. I did learn and I am becoming a better person because all of that brought me to wher I need this program and I am becoming a better person with this program.

Ah, there's a Humer and Anxiety Board http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewforum.php?f=552.

Poida10

Re: Dealing With Anger From The Past

Post by Poida10 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:43 am

This has been an eye opener. Lucinda's point about bringing people home who have caused you soo much grief and the anger u hold on to. By going over and over it in my mind was keeping me anxious and depressed. They don't think or care about me. As from today, I no longer bring them home :D
Poida

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”