The Challenge...Lesson 6

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:48 pm

In response to THH;

That sounds stressful to handle, about your sister and drinking.

Oh my, that is higher than I have scored. I think my first time around i was at a 68. It would definately help her out and maybe is better then no. I hope its just not a procrastination response though.

Wow that was even overwhelming for me just reading what you had to go through, wow. You have taken the steps to fix the problem and sounds like you calmed yourself down. Great work!

Yeah but how do you change your response in your dream?

Thank you, I am feeling more positive overall and I felt really good for showing my appreciation but I think I'm getting a little obsessive when it comes to asking him questions and reading his responses. I don't think that is too healthy.

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:36 am

I know that negative emotions are just messages that something is wrong and needs to change either with my perception, my communication or my behavior. I work with that message instead of feeling sorry for myself and I do what I can to change it.

Thursday;

Another crappy dream...I was at a beach with the CSI people (Las Vegas) and I was driving a boat on my own and I ran over a small child that was out in the middle of nowhere and there was blood. I stopped the boat and got out and I felt so really bad and I picked the child up and asked a few questions like when was the last time you saw your mother and he said yestaurday and then some wierd black things were poking out of his arm and going back in as if they were spider legs. This was very disturbing, the child was evil. I drove back and was very disturbed, the rest of the team was comforting me and I gave them my evidence and then I woke up. I am really getting sick of these aweful dreams.

My day was ok, nothing too exciting. Did my cardio and worked my legs out but I was really exhausted again. I still haven't gotten my digestive system working properly again and its getting so really annoying and I'm kinda having doom like feelings about it but I don't dwell on them for too long.

I was really tired and wanted to go to bed at 11 but I got obsessive with one of the videogames I'm playing. I kept telling myself that I needed to play the game and so I got to bed by 1:30am, I felt resentful of myself and very exhausted and just worn out stress wise. I think I became that way because I'm anticipating the party i'm going to tomorrow.

One really good thing I realized is I label uncomfort as stupid. When I see it in someone's face or behavior I label it as stupid so now I can remind myself that its just uncomfort and thats ok.

Thought replacement
1)I need the encouragement of the online guy or I won't recover.
[All-or-Nothing, emotional reasoning[
->I have been doing fine without it and made lots of progress. It feels really great when I do get the encouragement from him but I can get that from myself.

2)Showing my appreciation feels stupid and I'll just look like an idiot.
[Label, Emotional reasoning]
->Showing appreciation feels uncomfortable because I'm afraid of being judged. Stupid is not a feeling and there is no such thing as an idiot. People may behave in an idiotic way but this is not one of those situations. I would be acting in a human way. I would be acting in an uncomfortable way which fits because those situations make me feel uncomfortable and the only way to get comfortable is to do those things.

3)That old lady looks really stupid.
[Label]
->How can anybody look stupid? She looks uncomfortable and thats certainly not stupid. Stupid is when someone knows what they are doing is wrong but still does it anyways. Its ok to feel uncomfortable, that is just a part of life and everybody feels it every once in awhile.

4)That is so mean, I shouldn't think that.
[Should]
->People get judgemental thoughts all the time and its just apart of living. Its usually just projection and we judge the same things in other people that we don't like in ourselves. This isn't hurting her however, its only hurting myself because I'm going through the chemical response of the negative feeling.

5)I was tired and should have gone to bed earlier.
[Should]
->It would have been more beneficial to get to sleep earlier however thats not what happened and its still a habit so there may be many nights I don't get to sleep when tired. I now know to deal with the videogame obsession before it becomes too difficult.

6)Online guy didn't respond, I must have scared him off by asking too many questions.
[Mind reading, magnification]
->Just because someone doesn't respond right away doesn't mean I did something wrong. It just means they didn't respond and thats alright. I can get by without the response and in fact I could get by even if he never responds ever again.

Mike

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:32 pm

I had a slow day, couldn't make myself focus on any particular task. It was frustrating,
I have been reading your posts and I will respond tomorrow.

Mike,
I was also curious about Lindalee, I just hope she is ok.

Talk to you later
"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, it empties today of its strength." – Unknown

THH

Post by THH » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Hi Everyone!
I had a busy day too. I'm feelling better about everything, but still not sure what is wrong with our water system. A tech. is coming on Monday so I will get some help hopefully then. I don't have as high of level of anxiety today as yesterday.

Yes, I hope Lindalee is doing well too. I remember she mentioned she may move?

Mike, maybe you better quit eating so close to bed time! For your wild dreams! It seams they have a theme, scareing you! I bet they wear you out. Maybe all those cartoons you are watching are magnifying your creative side? I know its pretty hard to control what we do in a dream, but I have had a fun dream and wake up and want to do back to sleep and I have actually picked back up on it!
So if you wake up tell yourself your going back there and do it the way you want to this time, and see if you can? I'll think on it and let you know if I can come up with anything.

Hi hope,
Glad to see you post. We need those kind of days from time to time. I call them just veg days. I always feel guilty for having them. Enjoy it, we all need a break from time to time.
;)

When are we starting the next session, Mike?

Well, everyone have a nice night. :cool:

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:48 am

mcshope;

Sure take your time, we're all allowed slow days and I think today is going to be one of my slow days. Ya I hope she is ok as well.

THH;

Yay for less anxiety!

Oh maybe thats what it is, I kinda forgot. I have a hard time with my memory actually.

I did actually quit eatting close to bed time but still get them. Yeah fear is the main theme and from what I read the feelings in dreams are the actual interpretation. You are feeling them in waking consciousness as well maybe more than you'd like. Cartoons magnifying creative side...um I dunno. I have never been able to continue a dream like that. There was one time where I had kinda like a lucid dream where I could control thigns and that was pretty cool but I've only had that once and I just wanted to sleep forever that time.

Monday we'll start lesson 7.

Mike

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:20 am

I know that negative emotions are just messages that something is wrong and needs to change either with my perception, my communication or my behavior. I work with that message instead of feeling sorry for myself and I do what I can to change it.

I'm guessing nobody is intrested in learning about ways to make the thought replacement easier? I just noticed that nobody mentioned anything about it. Its ok if nobody is intrested, I'm just wondering though.

Friday;

So today is the day of my friend's party or at least it was because i'm posting this right now (Sataurday) and well it was really difficult for me. I had a tremendous ammount of anxiety and I had went back to my old coping mechanisms which well one of them was playing my videogames for hours at a time. I was also late and very worried that I would feel uncomfortable and anxious at the party and people would notice this and hammer down on it. I'm starting to realize how stupid of a thought that is now though because people really aren't as mean as I figured them to be. The average person does not attack a person when they are down just because it is something fun to do. There are however people out there like that and there definately were many people like that in my past but they are more rare now a days. I honestly don't remember the last time someone has done that to me and I'm not sure it would even matter now a days. I mean in my past I really did not know how to respond to that and I would end up feeling hurt but I think I know way too much now and I have the knowledge to prevent myself from getting hurt if It did happen to me. Also people don't want to make themselves look bad in front of everybody else at the party, they are more mindful then kids are in highschool. Its not a popularity contest and I don't have to spend time talking to hurtful people or be around them either.

I was a little overwhelmed but not as much as I was at that funeral last week. I had went in there just expecting myself to talk to at least 3 people and that was all I wanted out of myself and I got it within the first 5 minutes of being there. I ended up drinking alcohol and well I talked to most of the people and I really did enjoy myself even before the alcohol started to affect me. Even after having the alcohol in me I was still nervous about getting sentences out and I think I may have lost my train of thought a few times but nobody criticized me or made me feel bad so it was alright. People were very friendly and outgoing and happy so why would they want to make themselves feel bad but hurting me? I think I've lived life as if I was still surrounded by those same kinds of people in highschool and elementary school the ones that purposely hurt others in order to feel better about themselves.

Thought replacement
1)I need to play the videogame before I go.
[Should]
->This was my old coping technique which was very helpful in the past but it isn't anymore. I have more useful techniques like breathing, relaxation and such. Its not the party that bothers me, its the anxiety and I handle that on a daily basis. Relaxation and underloading myself has helped alot more then my videogames and it will be just as helpful for anticipatory anxiety as well.

2)I need to go to the gym before the party but now there isn't enough time.
[Should]
->Working out does help with the anxiety but not doing it doesn't mean its impossible to face my limitations. I still have my skills and I've handled limitations many times without working out.

3)I'm going to be too anxious to go to the party.
[Magnification]
->I am very anxious but thats because I'm facing a limitation and no matter how bad it gets I can still get through it and if I absolutely have to leave well I can do that too. I'm in control.

4)I'm not going to make it in time.
[magnification]
->Its a party, It isn't as important to be at a party on time or not unless it was my party. People really don't care so much about that.

5)I'm going to get uncomfortable, anxious and vulnerable then people will notice it and make me feel bad.
[Fortune telling]
->People did this to me in the past when I was growing up but it really hasn't happened since then. People aren't all out there to get joy out of hurting someone while they are down. They also aren't all into making theselves look bad in front of others. They don't get together and plan out offensive things to do to me. These peole are more interested in having a good time which is drama-free.

Mike
Last edited by NinjaFrodo on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:02 am

I am interested... just give me a little time to get my act together
"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, it empties today of its strength." – Unknown

Lindalee

Post by Lindalee » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm back now. I went to Ohio for a wedding of my sons' friend (they were so close growing up I think of him as a nephew). I stayed a week and visited family and had no access to a computer. I've been home for a few days now, and my husband came home on the same day.

I hope I can express how wonderful it makes me feel that you missed my input and cared about me. So much of my life I have felt like a "tag a long", like some one who follows a group but isn't really a part of it and no one would care if I wasn't there.

I couldn't truely read all the posts, but I skimmed over most.

While in Ohio, I was a passenger many times on the highway through and around Columbus, I was able to use the 6 steps fairly well and kept my anxiety level to 3 to 6. And I didn't avoid doing what I wanted to do to avoid the highway like I did last Aug when I was there. Yea!

One time I was needed to drive through the city on the highway to return my son's car to him, it would have been vey difficult if I refused. I did it. I did get very anxious, all the way to a 9 and would have pulled off the highway but the exits only went to more highways, no small streets, and then I would have been lost in addition to being on a highway. The entire ride was only 15 minates but it felt like hours.

My husband says I'm worse than I've ever been, but I know that's not true, I'm just expressing myself more honestly to him, I used to make excuses or just lie to cover up my anxiety.

I started lesson 6 today. I am some one who stuffs angry feelings and has a very difficult time expressing them. I used to think that if I loved someone I shouldn't get angry with them, and if I did the relationship would end. My daughter and I probably have the healthiest relationship that is in my life. Through this relationship I have learned how to get mad, express it, resolve it, and move on to good times again. My daughter would see me stuffing my feelings and call me out on it. Now I want to have this open honesty in my other relationships.

I have done well giving up caffeine this time. I only have some chocolate about evey other day. I have cut down on sugar, but still need to improve here. I have been able to exercise 4 or 5 times a week. I walk/jog for 30 min. and then stretch. I find I have to do it as soon as I get up, before breakfast or I get busy on my day and never get around to it.

Thanks for keeping this goup active,

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:46 am

Lindalee,

It is wonderful to see you back. I really missed your posts.
Congratulations on your accomplishments on your trip to Ohio.
You did drive on the highway... WOW... :D That is great.

I understand about not wanting to get angry, or not wanting to show that we are angry. For me it is such a negative feeling that I avoid it most of the time. I usually try to think why someone got upset or angry at me... I feel bad, but I do a lot of thinking, trying to understand why.

Good job on giving up caffeine, I am also caffeine free. Sweets are a different story, not easy to give up.

You are doing great, I am really happy for you

Hope

Karen L

Post by Karen L » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:30 am

I am on the road to recovery. I may get lost sometimes, but I am moving in the right direction. I am in control of my thoughts. Only I can change my life.

Hi everyone......been pretty busy here lately...feeling a lil bit better but the anxiety still seems to be a constant and a bit higher than I would like it to be....starting to get back to the stores and driving......am having to use the steps frequently to calm myself down....but at least I have avoided a panic attack :)

still have been just floating in my confusion, as life seems to be so unclear to me....but that's ok....it seems like I finally am open minded and can look at things in a realistic manner..especially the negative ways I talk to myself...slowly alot of things are coming together and starting to make sense :)

quickly read through the posts....

Mike

I have no idea what dreams mean....remember that they are only dreams, not reality, so dont give them too much value...great job with the thoiught replacement!!!

TTH

wow, I would have surrendered to the white coats if I was in your shoes lol...you are handling it all excellent!!!
I had to say I was laughing so hard reading about it....I could just imagine sitting there with you telling the story....I was dying when you were talking about making the calls and and being told to call the well driller lol.....please dont take that wrong...Im not laughing at you......it's just that I can sooooo relate to how I would feel in that situation.....you are just so funny and I thank God that you are hear sharing your life with us...you really do impact me in a very positive way :)

Hope

I know where your coming from...it can be very frustrating....hope you have a good Sunday!!

Lindalee

what an impressive experience you have had!! sounds like your working the program very well!! so many accomplishments!! hope you are praising yourself immensely for all you have done!!
it is very true, that to others we appear "worse" than before, but you are completely right that now we are actually expressing what we have only hid before....so we appear worse to them...but inside we are no longer harboring all these feelings.....this is the healthy road to gettting better....so that is actually very positive that your husband said that...I remember Lucinda saying that people may not "like" the change and the people we are becoming...you are growing and recovering!!! excellent!!!

btw, I did some browsing on the dating site about 2 weeks back....started talking to a man that really has my interest...been talking daily, and this is the first time I have been honest and just came out and shared some things about my anxiety...and guess what....he doesnt care and still wants to talk :) this may just be a good thing :)

have a great Sunday everyone!!

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”