The Challenge...Lesson 6

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:13 pm

I know that negative emotions are just messages that something is wrong and needs to change either with my perception, my communication or my behavior. I work with that message instead of feeling sorry for myself and I do what I can to change it.

Wow lesson 6 already. I'm actually getting somewhat overwhelmed and feeling we are moving really fast. Perhaps I'm having some unrealistic expectations that I'm going to have to just jump out and get a job when I'm not ready or get back into doing shiatsu again while I'm not ready. How are you guys feeling about the speed now? Any expectations you have on yourselves?

Here is that 2nd part I was talking about with the emotions and such. A negative emotion is just a message that something is wrong. Each category has its own message and it can be helpful to know what that message is so you can take action and replace the thought.

Anger;
Someone has violated your rules/rights/morals.

Sadness;
You have lost something or someone.

Fear;
You need to prepare for whats coming (real or imagined).

Jealousy;
You're telling yourself you can't ever have whatever it is you want.

Overwhelm;
You're making something too big or too hard.

Frustration;
What you are doing isn't working and you need to change your approach.

Loneliness;
You need to spend more time around others.

Guilt/Shame;
You've violated your own rules/rights/morals.

I may have missed some and i'm sorry if I did...I put more up as I remember or find them where I wrote them so keep an eye out.

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

THH

Post by THH » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:51 pm

Mike,
Yea, lesson 6! Well, if your feeling overwhelmed we need to slow down. See how everyone feels about it.
I realize for me, this is a lifestyle change that comes together slowly. It is not realistic that after so many weeks, or times going through the program that we are not going to react always the way we wish we will. Lets enjoy the moment and flow with it.I think everyone going though is making progress in one way or another! YEY!

I'm glad you posted those emotions.
Fear, Overwhelm, Frustration, are my main issues.
I too get bouts of Anger, Sadness, Jealousy and have felt guilty.

Those are good. Thanks for posting.

Here is week 6 card.
Stop Being Angry - Control Mood Swings
REMEMBER:
* Anger is a human emotion.
* Anger can be damaging in many ways
* Anger is very costly.
Use it wisely
* Anger has themes. Be watchful - what is the need?
* Anger hides fear. Deal with the fear.
* Angry people lose respect.
* Anger can be new, old, or directed at the self.
* RESOLVE, DISSOLVE, AND LET GO.

" To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it" - Confuscius

Side 2.
To Control Your Anger:
1. Think before you react.
2. Count to ten or delay 24 hours.
3. It's your perfect right, but how much will this cost?
4. Use "I" messages and a calm voice.
5. Begin with a positive. Listen! End on a positive note.
6. Be assertive, not aggressive.
7. Mental self - abuse is the highway to depression.

" Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

Karen L

Post by Karen L » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi everyone..just wanted to let you know that Im still here...

first, Ive been fighting this upper respiratory thing for about 3 days now with vitamin C and my netty pot....well, I think today it has gotten a hold of me.....sneezing all day, head hurts, and my nose is raw from blowing it..I feel like a whining child lol...

busy day today...decided I needed to get some stuff done even though Im not 100%...and the weather was just so beautiful I had to get outside....spent 2 hours doing yard work....then my ex (not the jerk lol, my 2 daughter's dad) came over to repair my porch roof....we get along great now that we have been divorced for almost 8yrs...he is remarried and has a child, and I do not even look at him as anything but a friend...anyways, he is unemployeed, needs money, and I needed work done....so we spent about 6 hours doing the roof..I was basically his gopher and cleaned, but all was good...it was great to be out in the fresh air and sun....

my grandson also was over visiting and he just makes me so happy :) also ran to the store and did some driving....anxiety wasnt bad, as I kept telling myself I was "allowed to not be 100% because I know I am sick"...this seemed to work amazingly well :)

it's getting late, so Im heading to bed....will try to catch up on all the posts I have missed....I actually like reading about everyone's challenges and triumphs :)

btw, lesson 6....I better not fall behind as we all know anger is my middle name lol

Mike

I did see your post about moving so quickly...we can go at whatever rate you would like....if you's rather spend 2 weeks on each lesson that would be great, whatever you and everyone else wants to do :)

have a great, relaxing week-end everyone!!!

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Well I think I was getting overwhelmed because I was expecting myself to be recovered at the end of the program. I also was thinking that i will need to have a job soon because the program will say to face limitations. I have worked through the thoughts but I think maybe a week and a half for lesson would be good, if people are ok with that. especially on the anger and assertiveness lessons. What does everybody else think? Suggestions?

Thank you for the card info.

Karen L;

You're getting sick to? mcshope was getting sick as well and I've already gone through being sick. I'm sorry your going through that crap, must be all the stress.

Hey thats great you got that done and very fortunate you get along with that ex. Are you finding it easier to handle the anxiety?

Mike

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:31 pm

I know that negative emotions are just messages that something is wrong and needs to change either with my perception, my communication or my behavior. I work with that message instead of feeling sorry for myself and I do what I can to change it.

Friday;

So I changed my routine a little bit. I woke up late and so I was feeling rushed as I had a few things that I wanted to get done. I made food and watch kiddie programs. I have started to use that list I posted at last lesson about cultivating positive things. I'm working with cultivating feelings of love/warmth, greatfulness, passion/excitement, determination and confidence. I'm not worried so much with the other ones right now as I don't want to overwhelm myself too much. I did some brainstorming in order to figure out how to cultivate those things and I came up with some really good ideas. One of the best places for Warmth, love, encouragement, compassion and excitement come from Kiddie programs. They mostly talk about fun things and they get really excited and I am hoping to make it a habit to watch some of these things on a daily basis and also repeat some of the words with the same ammount of excitement as the characters. I also made another 2 affirmations for it;

1)There is nothing stupid about encouragement, support, passion, excitement or optimism. I do whatever I can to make more of it within myself and others. I live for all the good feelings life has to give.

2)A positive feeling or action doesn't have to be really big to celebrate it. It is acceptable to celebrate even the smallest positive feeling or action.

I will talk more about the other things I've come up with to cultivate those positive things in a later post.

I went to the gym today and was getting overwhelmed again today. I just realized that I was overwhelming myself by getting myself to do too much in my workout! So I'm lowering my expectations greatly and if i want to do more then I can do that. I am noticing that I make alot of goals too big lately but I am learning to be more flexible and lowering my expectations.

I also realized why I was so overwhelmed at that funeral. I had prepared to handle my sister and I didn't even think about being in a room with a bunch of other people I don't know. I was getting overwhelmed because I was expecting myself to be really social when I have social anxiety. If I had actually made it a goal to talk to a few people instead of the goal of being really social then I might have been able to be more social and feel empowered after completing my goal and gone for more.

I hungout with a really cool guy today and had alot of fun. I didn't actually have expectations about how it would go and no worries about me being anxious. I have talked to this person online several times and we have talked about anxiety and my social anxiety and so I had no worry about messing up and looking stupid because he already accepted the anxiety.

I have fallen behind on reading the workbook and I didn't even listen to lesson 6 yet but am going to get on that tomorrow.

Thought replacement
1)I should have talked to more people at the funeral.
[Should]
->If I didn't have a problem with the social anxiety then I know I would have because it is in my nature to be outgoing and friendly but this is not my reality right now. I have social anxiety and so it's very difficult for me to talk to people that I don't really know. So it is more realistic to react the way I did. I did the best I could and I now know to lower my expectations and plan to only talk to a couple people. I would feel empowered, more confident and may have even ended up going beyond that goal and talked to more. I realized this and it is such a great accomplishment.

2)They must think i'm stuck up and don't care.
[Mind-reading]
->I know myself that I didn't talk much because I was overwhelmed and very anxious and I told my great aunt as well. If they didd end up thinking that then thats ok. They didn't seem too bothered and were too busy yacking with everybody else.

3)I should have done more in my workout.
[Should]
->As much as I'd like to push myself, there is a certain level I have before I get overwhelmed and it doesn't matter how much breathing, self-talk or PMR I do, I won't get over the feeling as long as I keep pushing beyond that point. My goals are too high and I need to lower them or I won't even want to exercise. If I complete the goals and want to go further than I can do so.

4)We are moving too fast with the program and I can't handle it.
[Magnification]
->We are moving at the same speed we have been from the beginning and it is very reasonable. The program is just a guideline and set of suggestions that will help to overcome anxiety and depression. This doesn't mean that I am expected to recover at a specific time. I may not even after finishing the program and thats alright. The goal is to get through the material and keep using the skills. That also doesn't have to stop once I finish the program.

5)I should be further along with my progress.
[Should]
->I should move at the speed I'm moving. This is an individual thing. I'm not expected to be done with my goal by the end of the program so I'm not going to expect that from myself either. I'll let the big goal happen on its own time.

6)I should be recovered by the end of the program.
[Should]
->I'd like to be but that may not be my reality. I can still continue with my progress after. It doesn't make me any less of a person and it certainly doesn't make me a failure.

7)I should be getting a job soon because we're getting to the point in the program where it says to get out and face our limitations but i'm still not ready.
[Should]
->The program doesn't say get a job, it says to work on my limitations and I've been doing that since we started the program so I'm already doing that, I choose what limitation to work on and when. I can continue the same way I currently am and will still end up reaching my goals.

8)I'm still not following through with my goal when it comes to sleep, I'm so horrible.
[Label, magnification]
->I cannot be 100% horrible for not following through on a goal. I have been going through alot lately and so its reasonable to fall back into old habits and avoid extra stress. This doesn't mean I can't get back to my goal and I am still learning diffrent things involved so its not like I'm not making any progress. Progress for my sleep goal isn't just made when I get to sleep earlier, it can be when I recognize obsticals and when I make sleep a more happy and accceptable thing as well.

Accomplishments
Used the relaxation cd in the morning, listened to my affirmations, walked to the gym, did some cardio, changed my goals with ab workout, reduced the ammount of work i did with my workout, replaced thoughts on paper, watched cartoons, made food, talked to 2 of my friends, hungout with my other friend, talked about my knowledge of anxiety and depression to someone who is suffering and didn't know about it, shared my pain with another person, posted on the forums, wrote out my goals for tomorrow, and learned from my overwhelm at the funeral.

Mike

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:29 pm

Sataurday;

Wow not a single post from anybody yet today, thats odd.

Lesson 5 workbook
I finally read all the information and the action assignments. The things that stuck out for me were that certain types of heavy foods will make you feel tired, drained and non-energetic. Also how peas and beans are full of protein and how they suggested to add more of them to your diet (which i'm wanting to do) and finally to use raw unprocessed bran. I guess that one never really clicked because I though the bran cereal was good enough, I guess not. I'm wondering if ground flax works in a similar way as the bran.

Also I have noticed with sugary things. I can easily avoid them if they cost money but if they are offered to me, I have a hard time resisting. This was a problem at the funeral...all they had was sugary treats and I wasn't particulary craving it but it was free and I felt I needed to eat some, it was however too sweet for me. I was also at a friend's place and they offered me sugar there too and again I wasn't craving it but I accepted it and it was yummy.

Today
I started my day with a healthy breakfast and protein smoothe, had the kids tv shows on but barely watched them, I was really negative about the programing today. I was being really judgemental and so I really didn't get much out of it. I then watched Xena in order to cultivate some of that determination that I want. I felt it and it was a good feeling.

I walked to the gym and instead of writing out an overall plan of action for working out I just did my workout and planned as I went along. I started off with some cardio and told myself thats all I needed to do and I could leave if I wanted but then got myself to do some ab exercises which I had altered to something a little more realistic and again I told myself I could leave if i wanted to now but decided to keep going as I noticed that I was still alright. I ended up doing many diffrent exercises and with most exercises I usually go 3 sets but I was finding I was starting to get overwhelmed after 2 sets so I would switch exercises after 2 sets and try something else. I didn't feel as rush and I also realized that when I would plan things in advance I wouldn't allow for much flexibility and would feel bad if I missed out on certain things and I also would keep worrying about if I had the energy or not. The way I did it today I was focusing on the accomplishments and putting alot more effort into the exercise and I was still getting many things done. I was pushing myself but in a diffrent way, I was pushing myself to do more because I wanted to actually do more.

I started yestaurday focusing on my accomplishments and it really does make me feel better. This is what i'm going to use to cultivate self-esteem and confidence in myself. Everytime I do something for myself I tell myself yay I did it!

No thought replacements today
I didn't bother replacing thoughts today and I feel alright with that. I can do them tomorrow. I also didn't do the relaxation cd today. My main priority is to reduce the pressure I put on myself and to lower my expectations.

I think i'm going to make a separate post for my accomplishments because these daily posts seem to be getting really really long and I can understand if that is very overwhelming to people.

Mike

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Sataurday Accomplishments (will update this until the next day)

1)Focused on the things I was greatful for when I woke up
2)Made some really healthy food and protein smoothe for my friend and I
3)Put on the kids programing in order to cultivate warmth, love, compassion and excitement
4)Watched Xena to cultivate determination
5)Called my friend Mark and talked to him just about stuff
6)Walked to the gym
7)Did Cardio and found that I can run for 3 minutes before I need to slow down.
8)Planned my workout as I went along and didn't push myself beyond my point of overwhelmed
9)Bought fruit
10)Read Lesson 5 of the workbook
11)Walked home
12)Ate healthy
13)Didn't push myself to do thought replacement or relaxation
14)Posted here on the forums
15)Didn't eat white sugar

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:54 pm

I had a great Saturday!
First thing a person who had a accident near my house awhile back, (we helped with what we could)Stopped by with a big basket filled with hand made stuff, like pickles, apple sauce, jams, salsa ect... as a thank you! What a shock, and a lovely gift! actually unbelievable. Very nice way to start the day! :) It reminds me there are still alot of good people in this world!

Next I got the mail, and I got a letter from my bank and my photo of my dogs won! Waahooooo! ( I never win anything!) I got a $25.00 gift certificate, and their picture will be printed on the deposit envelopes for 1 month! How fun!

I went to the river today and seen a bald eagle! Well it don't get any better than this so I'm enjoying the replay in my mind.

Hope everyone has had a real nice day! :)

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:04 pm

Hello everybody,
I had a nice day too. I woke up early and went outside do do some yard work, it felt nice. My husband woke up later and came outside to help, I really like when we both are working on a project together.
Saturday and Sunday are usually very lazy days, however at the end I feel guilty because there are tons of things that didn't get done.
Today was not like that, so I am feeling good.
I started using my e-cigarrete again, I have reduced the amount of real cigarretes to 5 in a day, which for me is great. I am planning on switching to the e-cig completely, and then start reducing the amount of nicotine to 0... I'll let you know how it works.
Lesson 6 has given me a lot to think about... I am not an angry person... I used to be moody, because of my period, however since the surgery the moodiness has gone away. However I tend to dwell on things... usually making myself feel bad. A lot to work on, a lot to think about.

THH
That was a very nice surprise, yes, there are still a lot of good people.
Congratulations on the picture of your dogs.

I hope everybody is having a nice weekend.
"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, it empties today of its strength." – Unknown

Karen L

Post by Karen L » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:16 pm

I am on the road to recovery. There may be speed bumps, wrong turns, traffic, and I may even get lost. But I am moving in the right direction. I am in control of my life an dmy thoughts. I am the one that creates my anxiety and I can I stop it.

Ok, the upper respiratory infection is getting a bit worse....still sneezing like crazy, nose running, now my lips are even cracking....
took it easy on myself today...there were actually a few times my anxiety started to rise because of the sick symptoms, but I gave myself permission to not feel good and that the symptoms were only related to the cold.....this worked out good and my anxiety wasnt too bad....
I was still able to get up and function...managed to do 3 loads of laundry, make an easy dinner, and just relax a bit....so a pretty good day except for the symptoms of this cold.

Mike

I was just doing some catching up.....I read your post about the funeral.....I am so proud of you!!! you took care of the anxiety over worrying about being late.....you attended the funeral, you did not personally attack your sister, you handled peoples questions about your abuser.....which, in my opinion was WRONG of them....how dare they ask how the abuser is?? you were the abused and the only one everyone should have been worried about...what an awkward position for people to put you in....I cannot believe people...as you can see thisreally got to me when I read it....but you handled it so well!!! and you didnt smoke!!! excellent!!!
you had so many opportunities to either retreat or revert back to your old ways and you didnt!!! you did great!! you need to give yourself a big pat on the back!!!

Jamie

It's so nice reading your posts ...I can tell that you are feeling better and Im glad :)

THH

I love reading your post!! you always make me laugh :) your posts about the alcoholics really had me rolling lol

that was a very nice treat you received from the person you helped...it seems just as I begin to lose my faith in the human race, someone like that steps up and shows me that their are good caring people out there....Im so glad you got to experience that :)

omg...your dogs won!!! that is soooo awesome!!!
you need to get one of those deposit enevelopes and frame it!!! and a gift certificate too, way to go!! congrats!!!

I can hear Lucinda saying "life is good" :)

Hope

hope all is good with you....Im having a hard time playing catch up to all the posts lol

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”