Venting...Need Advice

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
Tullip

Post by Tullip » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:05 pm

[[You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.]]

Thinking I need a refresher on this lesson. Please anyone advice....

As I type this, my parents are sitting out on my patio chatting up a relaxed storm, while I am here complaining and stressed. lol My frustrations with then (mainly Mom) go deep. I have asked my mother to please respect my space and not do pop In's as they seem to only work for HER time schedule, not ours. It seems to fall on deaf ears. I am at my wits end with this and am nothing short of ready to move with no forwarding address to avoid this situation again.

When I had my first apartment with my boyfriend, mom decided to pop in a few nights a week and every sat. This made me very angry as one of those nights was my day off and the only night I would prepare a homemade meal for my boyfriend, myself, and MOM! eerrrr As the years progressed, so too did my resentment. Fast forward 10 yrs to relocating with my now husband and kids. We had two peaceful yrs. I know that sounds bad, but it was wonderful in all honesty. No wondering if she would pop in at what we would have considered that ahhhh finally a moment of rest time. :) It was short lived. They moved near us again. At the time I had two toddlers and cherished nap time. Dad decided that it would be his coffee break and venting about my mother time and so the knock at the door came every few days. My then toddlers are now active kids involved in sports, play dates, and many activities that keep us moving 24/7. This doesn't seem to phase my mother one bit. Still knocks at the door as I am trying to shower to make a deadline and takes a seat as I am running around in a scurry to keep time. We had a period of no talking that lasted a yr or so and from that time on, her drive bye's became fewer and fewer. I think she realized that I have a life of my own now and I am much more independent then my siblings and am very resentful at these intrusions. My siblings have also asked her to please respect their space as well and it has made zero difference.

Prior to coming on here this eve to ask for some help with this, I was out rapping up my yard work as I will not have another chance to do so for the next few weeks, and they drove up. They knew I was irritated and continued into the house to visit. I did as I always do and played the game. I continue on with what ever it is that I am doing PRIOR to them popping in on us and ignore them. My Mom ignores that I am angry and we'll do this all over agin next week. lol

Thanks to any one who actually read all this, lol, and I would appreciate any advice as I am out of solutions.

Tullip

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:37 pm

Since I don't know the whole situation and can only go off of what you wrote. I think maybe your mom needs some friends. Sounds like her life still revolves around her kids. Have you tried making suggestions to her about some local activities she might enjoy. clubs, Golf, classes, bingo, senior dances, etc. you get my point. Maybe you could go with her a couple of times until she and your father made some friends. I think once she found something that interested her she might get busy with her plans and not come over so often. A good ol heart to heart talk with her might not be bad either. I know you said you have tried telling her not to come over but have you in a nice way set down and told her that you and hubby want some alone time and this is the only time you have. Or that when you are really busy and she pops in it makes you late and irritated that she doesn't care you are rushing all around her to get ready. I wish you the best of luck and hope that my suggestions might help.
Last edited by naturesgirl on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spedteacher

Post by spedteacher » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:53 pm

How about you try SCHEDULING your visiting time with her. Sounds like naturesgirl is right in the fact that it seems that her life still revolves around her kids. You could suggest her taking up different interests, but in the end you can't force her to. If you scheduled your time together perhaps that would be easier. She knows there will be set times where she gets to spend time. I don't know, just an idea.
"Forget regret or life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way, no day but today!"~Jonathan Larson
www.myspace.com/erinberens

Holly J

Post by Holly J » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:31 am

Yes, your parents probably need more hobbies, and some like-aged friends. Session 7 is your key here. And you are going to have to implement assertiveness into your new assertive life, or you will always resent them. I don't know their side of this story. I am guessing they see your home as an extension of theirs. Assertive skills will help with this. When my parents retired, they bought a motor home and hit the highways. Most of their own friends weren't yet retired, and I was many, many years from being retired. They gradually learned that people who are not retired cannot drop their routines to sit and visit. Of course, these days I'd give anything to just sit and visit with them because they both passed away recently.
My advice to you is this: Your answers are in Session 7. Learn the skills in that lesson and then use them. Allowing your parents to invade your life isn't good for any of you.
"Come to me, all who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)"

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:05 pm

Thanks ever so much for all of your ideas. I am sorry to hear when people lose parents and would give anything to have time with them again. I feel guilty often when I realize that they are getting older and there will come a time when they are no longer here. It's just so difficult. My stresses and concerns about aging parents is probably whole other topic. lol

As far as friends, she makes them easy and often, only problem is, after a short while they seem to vanish. We went to a neighborhood night out in their neighborhood a few nights ago. A gentlemen came up to introduce himself to myself and husband. When I said we did not live in the neighborhood but my parents (pointed mom out) did, he said, "Oh yes, everyone knows her." :roll: She walks her dog and talks to EVERYONE. She knows every ones business too. When she spends time over to our house, all she does is talk, talk, talk. You can never get a word in. She finds the worst subjects to entertain also. She loves to talk about her poor health and who's ill, who's passed and how terrible things are for herself or others. It can be draining. I try to talk about positive things and keep her in the now. I always say things like Ma...stay in the now, stop worrying about what was or will be. She seems annoyed with me when I do this.

I have asked her to please not stop by without calling first and guess what? She won't call cause she knows I'll say it's a bad time or just won't answer. She's too smart. My brother plays commando when he sees her pull up and will hit the deck. He will crawl to his room and hide from the door bell. This is a forty two yrs old man mind you. ha ha My sister use to do the same. I have kids so I am forced to face her. I just can't think of a way to cut this off without us not speaking for yet another year. The last time we had this discussion, I told her she was controlling, pushy and driving her kids mad. She loves to criticize everyone and sit back and wonder why we're all angry with her. She always cries cause she wants us to feel sorry for her. She will then avoid us for long periods of time (OK with that) then show up again out of the blue as if nothing ever happened. I am carrying on here I realize. Does feel good.

Thank you again for your ideas. I do think it is do to a lack of having a life of her own and more so wanting to control ours seems more interesting then her other options. lol I may consider making a specified time to spend with her as to set a schedule that maybe she will pick up on. I know myself and know that I will probably have resentment over that too cause I will then be feeling like it's another thing I HAVE to do to please her. lol

Tullip

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:26 pm

Ok, I just sent a nice lengthy reply and I don't think it posted :(

Carolyn Dickman

Post by Carolyn Dickman » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:32 pm

Ok, I'm going to try this one more time...It probably won't be exactly what I said on the first post but oh well...lol So anyway, I'm probably the youngest one on this thread but I couldn't help but add my 2 cents...lol :) I think, as mentioned before, that Session 7 is going to be key. Have you tried using "I" statements? I really need my time with my family. I feel like you are invading my space. I will give you a call next week and we can go out to lunch, but until then I really don't need you dropping by unannounced. Things like that. Also remember that body language is a big thing too...you can tell so much by your facial expressions...My husband is always asking me why I am making certain faces when I'm frustrted...and to tell you the truth I don't even know I am doing it..lol. Anyway, I also couldn't help but think about Session 9 in dealing with guilt. It seems to melike she is trying to make you feel guilty for talking to her about these things. (Man I had a good point here in the post that didn't post and know I can't think of what it was..lol) Anyway, hope these suggestions help....even if they are coming from a "baby" lol :) Good luck with being assertive....and keep us posted :)

Sincerly,
Mindi

P.S. If this doesn't work this time I'm just giving up and going to bed...lol :)

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:20 am

Hi again. On June 25, in the Depression Forum, I posted a question about what to say to someone who relentlessly goes on with the negative comments. Carolyn sent me an excellent reply. I wrote that reply down on a card and carried it with me (and I still keep that card handy!), so that each time that person makes negative comments, I try to respond according to Carolyn's advice. It has worked very well with this person. Might help with your mother's comments, too. I wish you the best of success with this one. She's your mom, and that changes dynamics, but bad behavior is still bad behavior. Kind regards, Pecos

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”