Obsessive Anger

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
Rachel81

Post by Rachel81 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:10 am

Great advice about clearing high emotions. They can definitely destroy a person.
I have always been a very emotinal person. As i got older (as I've said in other posts) I thought of it as being compassionate or empathizing with others (putting myself in their shoes, as you said mike). It seems so crazy now that I always really took pride in the fact that I thought I was a good person for doing that...taking on the feelings of others. I do realize it wrecked me and brought me where I am now. I wonder where the balance is. Is there balance with that? Or should people just not do that?
At any rate I wanted to put in my 2 cents. I can get wordy, I'll try to be brief...and hopefully it will make sense.
Mike-I think it's great that you seem to really know in your heart/gut that your mother wasn't trying to hurt you. It's great that you realize this. But, I think that you still need "clear the air" so to speak. I just think that these things can creep back up....even if you push it down for now. I am not suggested that you lash out at her or yell at her, or approach it negatively. I just know that I have pushed things down, and stuck some duct tape over it...and after it rains a little....
I don't wnt for it to be a viscious cycle for you. And we are not talking about mom not getting you a gift you wanted, or making you eat brussel sprouts. This is something major...and she knows too.
She may also like for you to clear the air and talk with her about it. I know it will probably be uncomfortable at first. But just imagine the weight lifted from BOTH of you. I am sure that she is being consumed by this, and it seems like it serves as one of what I call...a monster (for you). Something you hope you can continue to deal with...but it's still there.
Like I said, I'm not promoting it as a confrontation at all. Just something that needs to be discussed. Let her know that it is something that you have struggled with and that you know she has too.
It may seem twisted, but I think that she may be relieved...you too? Especially if it is something that has always been hush hush, or avoided. Just think of the tension and what kind of energy is being brought to the table. I think that in order to clear the negative emotions, you should try talking with your mom.
That's just my opinion, and it may be bad advice. But the 2 of you cannot live harboring this...at least not happily. Just remember that karma is balance, not vengeance and it spans many lives...not just the current manifestation (known as your life :)). I just worry that if you view things as "he will get his" that is kind of caving into the anger...b/c that's an angry thought. Hopefully he will get better, and I kinda tend to think that if people are separated and don't talk (you, mom, sister) then they have this divide...and even within himself, he doesn't have to confront what he's done...b/c it's hush hush. Perhaps if he sees you closer (w/fam) and feels that the divide has closed between you, mom, sis...he will have to (within himself) confront what he's done...that is the first step in forgiving...for everyone.
Oh, I got wordy! Sorry
My main point-these things can creep back in at a moment when you feel emotional...Its like a tornado for me...grabbing little bits of everything, as it tears through. Things you thought you were okay with can come right back (the monster).
That's just my opinion....take it for what it's worth.
I wish you the best, and hope that the pain showing up as anger...is soothed.
Together we stand; divided we fall...

pecos

Post by pecos » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:31 am

Hi Mike. Once again you have written a very good post with quite a bit of depth in your dive to understand. All your replies here are excellent, and I cannot add more to the previous wisdom. I can add my ideas, which aren't necessarily based on wisdom ;)
I am editing this down to simply say, sometimes people do stupid things not because they are bad people, they do stupid things because it makes some kind of twisted irrational sense to them. Sad, but true. Certainly does not excuse that kind of behavior. (This is in response to your asking how people can be so ignorant and not do anything. If a person is too ignorant, how can they "do"?)

This book shows a very positive way of thinking about anger: <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/Anger-Cooling-Thi ... 1573229377" TARGET=_blank>http://www.amazon.com/Anger-Cooling-Thi ... 3229377</A>
Last edited by pecos on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Rachel81

I know where you are going with it when you said i should clear the air...she actually passed away. I went to the cops about my abuse and started an investigation...she was epileptic and the investigators were trying to get ahold of her and stress can actually bring upon or worsen the number of seizures the person could have. She was having frequent seizures around the time and she had one and was trapped between the wall the carpet and the computer table and she suffocated.

I have also tried to talk to her about me being abused and i found out that she was abused by him and also how she caught him with my sister. She didn't want to talk about it.

I did however confront the guy who did it to me and I'm fine with talking to him now..well a little less trusting but i can talk to him like a person without the anger.

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:18 pm

Thank you pecos. You have alot of potential and you shouldn't devalue your words and ideas. You make a good point...I was also doing this too and i had a wierd irrational sense to me too. It just happens.

After the few first posts and actually making some sense to this it got easier to handle...now to work on picturing the waterfall or something calming when i do get angry. Thanks

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”