Set Back

You can get EXACTLY what you want out of most any situation if you only think before you react. After building these skills, your anger will work FOR you instead of against you.
Freckles

Post by Freckles » Thu May 15, 2008 7:57 am

Just went through a physical. Hospitals and doctors are my worse fear. I know why but can't stop the panic. I was at the clinic last week. 5 days later I missed a phone call from the clinic and had to wait until the next day to find out what they wanted. Well did the panic ever start in! I pretty much had myself half dead before I got to talk to them the next day. Turns out thet just wanted to tell me of the next appointment they want me at! What alot of suffering and it turned out to be nothing! I still have a mammagram and some blood work to be done to complete my physical. How can I relax over this. I fear they will find something and life is over. Crazy, I know, but I can't help it.I tried to tell myself that even the worst case senerial is they DO find something but at least then it can be treated. Every physical I get like this. I would love this anxiety problem to disappear. Any advice?

Post by Guest » Fri May 16, 2008 3:33 pm

Hello Freckles,
Are you on the program? I can relate to the hospitals and doctors. I always dreaded it and had anxiety about it but now it's not as bad because I look at it in a different way. A positive way. They are there to help you with whatever problem you have. You cannot give yourself a physical or treat yourself. It only makes sense to go. I also understand your fear because I always thought they were going to find something and I would work myself up and then they found nothing but I would be a mess. Your anxiety problem will not just disappear. You can work with the program and recover. I'm not recovered yet but I believe I can and will.

All my best,
Inside Man :cool:

hopehound

Post by hopehound » Tue May 20, 2008 4:35 am

THANK-YOU! I really appreciate your response. I am trying my best to get at the root of this problem. Yes, I am on the program. I am on session 6. I have learned some skills already, but not always great at putting them in practise. Believing in recovery is a huge step and I want to get there also. I wish you the best on your recovery. One day we may both be able to help others as recovered people!
ANGELS CAN FLY BECAUSE THEY TAKE THEMSELVES LIGHTLY

Glass

Post by Glass » Tue May 20, 2008 12:24 pm

Hello Freckles,
You are welcome. So you're on Session 6. Stick with it and put those skills into practice. That's the only way to make them benefit you and for them to become second nature to you. That's what I do, practice, practice, practice. Believing in recovery is a huge step as you say but it starts with believing and trying.

All my best on your recovery,
Inside Man :cool:

Post by Guest » Wed May 21, 2008 9:03 am

Practise does make perfect! I was hoping to find some people that have similiarities to myself such as age,marriage statis, etc. How would I go about that? Thanks Inside Man

LUVG

Post by LUVG » Wed May 21, 2008 9:30 am

Hi, Freckles,
We can be recovered, but I don't think the anxiety will ever just disappear. We have tendencies that need to be managed with daily use of your/our new skills we learn in the program. It's a life long commitment. When we slack off, we can expect the anxiety to return.

I completed the program back in October with much success. Stopped my journaling around February and by mid March I feeling more anxious than I had in a while. No more panic attacks, but that uneasiness where you just feel like you want all the anxious symptoms to go away. Keep at the program. Journal. Write your postive statements and use the tools! :)

Peace to you on this precious present day!
http://www.myspace.com/christinehufana

Post by Guest » Thu May 22, 2008 12:03 pm

Thanks for the input Farmchick. Had a bad day today. Nice to hear from someone who's had success.

LUVG

Post by LUVG » Thu May 22, 2008 12:30 pm

Hi Freckles: I too have the problem with physicals. I get throught them OK, but a day or so later I start obsessing about what if they missed something, or where did this pain come from, etc. But all of that is really just the stress and anxiety talking. A year ago I ended up in hospital because my one lung collapsed from pneumonia. Then I had no time to worry, I was way too busy just trying to breathe. And I didn't have any panic attacks, because I was already in the hospital, so what else could possibly happen? Well, I survived that and I'm better than before, and that was when I decided that I was going to take control over my health. I started eating healthier, exercising, enjoying the little things in life like the birds singing, the ponds and even the crickets. When you actually slow down and take in all these things it is amazing how relaxed your mind can become. Oh Yea - I also stopped listening to news broadcasts - they really would bum me out. There is so much beauty out there, why waste time on all the bad stuff that you can't control anyway?

So finish your physical, which I am sure will be just fine, then try to keep yourself in as good a shape physically and mentally as you can - and these tapes will definately help with the mental.

Good luck to you.
http://www.myspace.com/christinehufana

Zoe_M

Post by Zoe_M » Sun May 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Thanks Sylvia T-I went to the lake camping this week-end (we have some property we just bought there) and enjoyed the outdoors with friends and family. I will get through all these tests I'm sure but the anxiety likes to hold on like theres no tommorrow!LOL I like your advice on changing what I can like my physical shape. I don't always do that even though I know better. Sometimes its seems like such an effort. Chin up here though! Thanks for your reply.

Return to “Session 6 - Stop Being Angry and Control Your Mood Swings”