Hard to Commit to Exercise

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
Pattylee

Post by Pattylee » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:48 pm

I have pretty much eaten pretty well for quite some time, long before I started having trouble with anxiety and depression. I rarely drink coffee or cokes. The only thing I might have some trouble with is sugar. I tend to have a sweet tooth when it comes to dark chocolate and ice cream. This session has definitely made me more aware of how that sweet tooth may be adding to the anxiety and I have been more conscious of when I am eating sweets and have definitely cut down.

It's the exercise part of this session that I am having the hardest time committing to. I have always done some type of exercise, mainly walking and yoga and I'm now learning Tai Chi. My problem is consistency as I'm sure most everyone can relate to. I tend to be really good about it for weeks or months and then life tends to get in the way and there's always a million excuses as to why I can't seem to get to it "today". The worksheet in the workbook is a great motivator in that you can see in black and white what you are, or, in my case, not doing on a regular basis. I decided to start tracking my exercise on my desk calendar. Hopefully that will be a good motivator and I won't see a lot of blank days. On to session 6.

Terisa

Post by Terisa » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:25 am

I read once that it's necessary to find some excersise that you actually ENJOY. the theory behind it is that if you love what you're doing then you won't have a problem sticking with it.

For me, i love to dance. so dancing/excersise to 70's music works for me. Or aerobics to your favorite type of upbeat music usually is good too.

I'm sure you'll find what works best for you. Hope that helps. :)

don b

Post by don b » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:56 am

a good thing to remember is that the exercise helps with the anxiety. that alone is a good motivator for me.

Lizzybee

Post by Lizzybee » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:01 am

I too have a problem with the sweets! I would love to exercisce, but I don't have the money to by the elliptical I want, nor do I have the money to join the gym. And right now there is about 6 inches of snow on the ground followed by an inch of ice covered by another 4 inches of snow so I can't walk outside. What to do?

Paige...

Post by Paige... » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:09 am

Patty, I was having trouble staying commited to doing the program because, as you said, life gets in the way. After being given some really good suggestions by some wonderful people here, I realized that there is nothing in my life that is more important than taking care of ME. If I don't, I'm no good to myself or anyone else. So, I'm working on making the program part of my daily routine much like brushing my teeth and showering every morning. Maybe you could do the same with excercise? That way it no longer becomes another thing you have to do - another job. It's just something you do automatically.
[COLOR:PURPLE][B]~ Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. ~[/B][/COLOR]

Kuniva

Post by Kuniva » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:00 am

Working out seems to be a problem for alot of people. I mean something like 90% of gym revenue comes from people who sign up and never actually go. That said working out is extremely important and really helped me with the body symptoms that I get with anxiety not to mention the self esteem boost. Really just getting started was the hardest part.

First thing you should do is set a goal. Decide what it is you want to accomplish and go for it. Put it in your mind that you can't fail and you will reach your goal. Just remember that after you reach your goal you need to set another one.

My first goal was to drop 10 pounds of flab and replace it with muscle. My second goal which I made shortly after was to make sure I completed my first goal. :D Right before New Years I was thrilled to notice that I was back to 175lbs and had exceeded my first goal expectations. Now my new goal is to burn any flab around my waist and take my new abs (and with the help of the program new life) to the beach by Memorial Day.

I really can't stress enough how much working out has helped me. Like others have said there is nothing more important than taking care of yourself. It may be hard at first but before you know it you'll be hooked and exercise is one addiction everyone should have.

Pattylee

Post by Pattylee » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:08 pm

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I do know that there is nothing as important as doing whatever it takes to stay well emotionally and physically. The exercise thing is the number one thing on my agenda these days and everyday I try to do something. Walking is probably my favorite thing and definitely the easiest. It's free and requires no equipment except a pair of good shoes which I have. Again, thanks to all of you.

emptyblessing

Post by emptyblessing » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:16 pm

Definitely start walking. It's great exercise. I know that it's difficult to stick with it after the initial excitement wears off. We're human and we like things to happen a lot faster. We want to lose weight now so we eat a bunch of diet pills. But that only works as long as you stay on those pills. What you should aim for is instead a steady change to your body. Exercise is the key.

For me it was easy to get up and get out once I realized that I couldn't have a panic attacks if I was huffing and puffing and wearing my body down. This motivated me to exercise. Now I'm a complete junky for it and love the way it makes me feel.

It might help to get a partner to exercise with. Walking is a great exercise done with someone else as you can easily hold a conversation during. This will help to keep you motivated as you can come to be held accountable and you'll have some support. My anxiety was too much to even work out with someone at first but after I gained some confidence I feel better with someone. Also try and incorporate it into your routine. Make it a habit like taking a shower or brushing your teeth. Also, if you're thinking of working out for the day but you're tired then make a deal with yourself. Agree that if you don't feel better after ten minutes into your routine you'll stop for the day. Just ten minutes and afterwards you'll be amazed at how many times you won't actually quit.

Best of luck
Intelligent people know others.
Enlightened people know themselves.
You can conquer others with power,
But it takes true strength to conquer yourself. -Lao Tzu

Kita

Post by Kita » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:09 am

It is a hard thing to commit to. I just don't have a feel for ti. I know it's important and i need to do it, but some times i can't find the energy to get up.I hope this bad habit will change for me. :(
SHAKITA

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:57 pm

Kita,
Set aside 10 minutes a day, to just walk!! once you see how much energy it gives you, you will continue adding minutes to your exercise time.. Thats the way i started... Got up to about 30 minutes a day, and i have more energy and fell better than ever,,, Nelly:)

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”