Easiest way to get off coffee

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:40 pm

There are different ways to get off coffee. Some people gradually reduce, some people start replacing reg with decaf little by little until they are drinking all decaf, but if you want to get off coffee the quickest and easiest way, this is the best way to go (always consult your health practitioner):

1) Stop drinking ALL coffee at once.

2) If you are a heavy drinker, you will likely get some headaches and other discomfort. If you are comfortable and your health practitioner allows, take a pain reliever on your first and second day.

3) Drink a TON of water. This helps speed up detox.

4) With your health practitioner's okay, do some kind of aerobic exercise every day, for at least 30 minutes - walk, jump on a rebounder, bicycle, treadmill, etc.

5) You may see some white residue on your tongue. These are toxins coming up. Your body stores these toxins as long as you drink the caffeine, but once you are off it, your body is finally able to release the toxins. You can remove this residue with the tip of a spoon or a tongue scraper. I like the metal ones by Dr. Tung.

6) Try not to "replace" with anything other than non-caffeinated herbal tea. By using decaf or black or green tea you are still getting small amounts of caffeine which may trigger your desire to drink regular coffee.

7) By day 3 you should feel your cravings greatly diminished and your headaches decrease significantly or vanish.

To me, this is a more effective way than reducing. Most addicts cannot get off drugs, alcohol or cigarettes by reducing. It's always harder this way because you leave the door open by having a 'taste' of something you can't stop drinking/using, etc. I have this problem with chocolate and cannot eat just "one" M & M or Peanut Butter cup. I'll be out of control looking for the next chocolate fix, so it's easier to just completely stop, have a couple days of harsh cravings and then be free from the substance and not feel a pull toward it after 3 days.

That said, I'm sure gradually decreasing does work for some people. But for those who can't go that route, the above steps work great.

Hope this helps someone.
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

derfy

Post by derfy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:10 am

Thanks Shifrah,

I will have to try this. I have enjoyed coffee since I was 4 (cafe ole) 75% scalded milk and the rest the expresso (2 ounces) I love the stuff. I am so bad. I will try even though I have been at it 55 years. Do you think there is hope for me?

I have tried #6 and you are right (you're always right on dietary matters)

Keep trying, I may never stop drinking coffee, but I admire your persistence.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves...
who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?
Actually, who are we not to be? --Unknown
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/TheOneAndOnlyDerfy/sigsAvatarsEtc/loveyouguysWave.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/TheOneAndOnlyDerfy/sigsAvatarsEtc/ValHeartsSmiHug.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/TheOneAndOnlyDerfy/SigTags/LynneCocoaMo-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 am

Thanks for reading and responding Gman. I only post this stuff to help others, and it's great to see that you had an interest.

Yes there is definately hope for you. Since it's been in your system that long I'm sure you will experience detox which can be headaches, tiredness, maybe even some achiness. But you can definately do it and you will feel awesome once it's out of your system. Remember how long you've been doing it so the change won't occur overnight but it will happen. Our bodies really are so forgiving and have been created to heal phenominally fast in comparison to how long it takes for our bad habits to catch up with us.

I have been off chocolate and wheat for a while now - I feel lighter, less stressed & anxious and my pants are loose. However yesterday, I had some iced tea and a few sips of soda, more salt than I'm used to and I was tossing and turning all night. So even the smallest amount of caffeine effects me.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”