How do you eat what you are afraid of?

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
Anxious Jenny

Post by Anxious Jenny » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:12 pm

This is such an old post but I was looking to see if anyone had the same problem of being scared of an allergy to foods. My fear has become an obsession. I won't eat anything that are the common food allergens too! It's so crazy and it frustrates me so much but I feel like I can't help it. For a while every time I ate eggs for breakfast I would get a stomach ache and then one day I ate Chicken Francese (this one seemed to have had a lot of egg coating) and got stomach pain and diarrhea right after I ate it. I also noticed when I would eat almonds the roof of my mouth would get a little itchy. But, I thought for a while, it's probably just my anxiety and I'm thinking about it too much. I decided then I was allergic to shell fish, strawberries, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, apples, etc. I got smart and decided to go to an allergist. They tested me and said that I have a slight allergy to eggs and to tree nuts sure enough! But nothing else beside mold and dust mite (which doesn't bother me because most people are) But the allergist I went to drove me insane by not giving me straight answers and delving into my anxiety disorder. He was inferring that my anxiety/panic disorder was coming from something else going on in my body! He was scarring the crap out of me! So here I sit not touching anything with egg or tree nuts in it afraid that I'll go into anaphylaxis even though he said that I wouldn't! And still afraid to eat the other things that he said I wasn't allergic too! Aghhhhhh! I just want this damn anxiety to go away already! I HATE it! I HATE it! I HATE it! I was NEVER this way (Hypochondriac) before! 2 years ago my world got turned upside down with this! I wish there was a miracle for this problem! To help us all!

kristenbrooke

Post by kristenbrooke » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:24 am

Jenny I am the same way. Sometimes I feel like my throat is closing up when I eat things I have eaten a million times before.I too am a hypochondriac. It started about a year ago and everything I feel scares me.

westlynne56

Re: How do you eat what you are afraid of?

Post by westlynne56 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:34 pm

As soon as I saw this post I got right on it because I've been having problems eating as well. I have chronic reflux and for a while was eating...well not much of anything. I lost a ton of weight and, of course, began thinking I had cancer. I was just about crazy with worry until I had a stomach scope done which revealed, yes, I do have a very inflamed esophagus but nothing that can't be treated. Guess what? My stomach issues are going away; however, in the meantime, I now have tinnius. The experts say some foods can trigger it to get louder--so now I'm back to worrying about everything I eat again. I'm losing weight again, which is re-cycling the old anxiety.

I am doing the program religiously and between that, and an anti-depressent my doctor put me on, I'm beginning to losen up. It's frustrating because some days I just don't feel like doing the relaxation exercises, journalling,tapes, ya-da ya-da but, honestly, they REALLY help.

I hate the anxiety, too, which is why I'm determined to get past it. Someone told me to stay positive, persistent and patient. It's become one of my mantras.

Good luck to all of you with your issues. You are sooooooo not alone!

Cheers

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”