Sugar...

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
Forsaken

Post by Forsaken » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Whenever I attempt to completely cut sugar and other things supposedly bad like pretzels, white flour products etc I end up getting very anxious. Now here's my theory... yes sugar picks you up and then gives you a crash but if you're feeling like you're going a million miles an hour then I welcome a reduction in that. The crash doesn't make me want to fall asleep it brings me down to a "normal" level. I'm sure it would get easier if I would stay off it for a long period of time, just wondering if anyone else can relate...

deedee00

Post by deedee00 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Just cutting down the sugar will make you feel so much better.

The sugar lows doesn't make me feel bad either. But the highs are horrible to me. I hate the way sugar highs feel!

CJR

Post by CJR » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:57 pm

I get anxious also when i try to cut out 'bad' foods. It's really just in my mind because it is a hard thing to do. Somewhere in the back of my mind i think how hard it's going to be and i can't run to my favorite foods to make me feel better. Have you ever noticed that when you feel anxious that eating something sugary or a high carb food (comfort food) will make you feel better for a awhile.

anyway, that's my take on it ;)

blessings, Chanin
"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." Jn.14:27

Forsaken

Post by Forsaken » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:13 am

Originally posted by CJR:
Have you ever noticed that when you feel anxious that eating something sugary or a high carb food (comfort food) will make you feel better for a awhile.
YES!! :D I've had many things I've turned to for comfort (most bad I suppose) and have kicked 90% of them. But this one runs deep, it is my oldest vice. Been that way since my earliest memories...

SeaRunner

Post by SeaRunner » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:31 am

I have also found that the high carb snacks, like crackers, can calm me down when I'm anxious. However, I wonder if part of the source of my anxiety in that my feelings may be caused by low blood sugar. When I go too long without eating, I tend to get symptoms that are a lot like anxiety and I often confuse the two. If I eat and feel better, then I know I was just hungry. If not, then it's really anxiety!
"Common things occur commonly. Uncommon things don't. Therefore, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." -- C.J. Peters

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:10 am

Don't forget to get healthy carbs through fruit, veggies and starches (like potatoes, rice, corn), etc. There's a lot of misinformation that all carbs are bad because they are "sugar" - but it's what fuels us. If we don't get fuel our bodies create fuel from fat and protein and that isn't always healthy in the long run.
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

Forsaken

Post by Forsaken » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:12 am

Sea Runner - I was thinking the same thing about the low blood sugar.

I tend to get major feelings of anxiety if I go too long without food and then instantly feel better once I start eating. I also find that anything other than a low carb meal leaves me extremely fatigued. Even if I eat no sugar but have a lunch with say potatoes, or rice or pasta or bread I literally have to drag myself back to work and if it's on the weekend I tend to fall asleep in the early afternoon even though I slept fine the night before...

JJ

Post by JJ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:00 pm

I can really relate to this topic! If I eat certain foods for lunch, I get drowsy afterwards.
I tolerate sugar best if I eat it with an evening meal. If I have fruit juice or a muffin for breakfast, I feel sleepy not too long afterwards. Once I start eating sugar, I only crave it more. After the holidays I decided to go off sugar and chocolate. The first few days are difficult, but after that I really lose the craving for them, and I feel better. If I eat too much chocolate, it makes me feel moody and depressed usually within a day or two. If I was able to just eat a small amount of chocolate, I'm sure I wouldn't feel too bad. But once I start, I can't stop. I also cut out caffeine, and feel a lot better. Although I sometimes wish I could have a cold iced tea to give me a boost. I guess our bodies are more sensitive, especially in times of stress. We're fortunate to be able to be aware of this, so we can understand why we feel the way we do. It's great having others who understand!
JJ

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”