motivation problems

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
whoami999

Post by whoami999 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:01 pm

I am having problems getting myself on track with both exercise and diet. About me - I am a SAHM to a very clingy 3 year old. My anxiety levels are alot better with medication, but I am still trying to overcome constant low level depression.

Exercise - I keep setting my alarm an hour early so I can workout first thing in the morning, but every day when the alarm goes off, I reset it, and convince myself that I will find some time to workout later in the day. And of course, later in the day I've got other excuses.

Diet - I am having problems with emotional eating. My problems mainly are with portion sizes (eating something reasonable, but I often am hungry and standard portion sizes really aren't that big) and snacking (I crave carbs and sugar). I don't keep much junk in the house, but I can always find something to eat. I like vegetables, but they just don't satisfy me so I can't convince myself to snack on something that would be alot less calories. I know standard advise is wait 15 minutes to decide if you really need something (the craving doesn't go away), do something distracting (I get bits of free time, but usually I am spending time with my 3 year old who won't let me take a break).

Any ideas?

theresa2008

Post by theresa2008 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:25 pm

With the exercise, well you really have to just do it. Early morning is obviously not a good time for you and that's okay. Find a time that is. It was hard for me to start exercising but once I started making myself go to the gym it became a habit, part of my routine. Sometimes I really don't feel like going but I tell myself that it is good for me and I almost always end up enjoying working out. If your child naps, maybe you could work out then. Exercise can be anything from a few walks around the block to a favorite workout DVD to joining a gym. Don't look at exercise as something to dread. Find out what you enjoy doing. Anyways, hope that helps.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:01 pm

First of all, You are doing a great job just trying to get yourself to exercise and Diet. You recognized that they are both issues that need to be worked on.

When it comes to motivation, the first thing you want to figure out is what you want to change which you did. :D

The second thing is to know exactly why it is that YOU specifically want to do this. Write down everything you lose by not changing; what it says about you, what it means about yourself and your future. In 5 years, would you have felt more or less confident? More or less energy?

Then write down everything you gain by changing. What is it going to give you in your mood, relationships, appearance, what activities will you be able to do, will it give you more or less energy? Will you feel more or less confident?

Now specifically with the diet. What is reasonable to you?

I can suggest some things. When we crave sugar what our body needs is more fluids actually (food found in nature that tastes sweet has alot of moisture ie. Strawberries, pears, plums). Try drinking 1 glass of water 15 minutes after you wake up...15 min after that eat a piece of fruit...then 15 min after that, eat whatever you want.

You can also ask yourself, what is it I can do to make exercise more enjoyable so I want to do it...or what can i do in order to make me more comitted to exercising (ie, maybe getting a running buddy to go with you in the mornings or afternoons)

You can do the same thing with diet. There are many recipes that taste amazing and are good for you. Smoothes with fruit instead of sugary juices, vegan or raw foods (ie coconut-celery soup, vegan chocolate pie).

The key to motivation is the way you think about what it is you are doing. If you have convinced yourself that it is something you won't enjoy or find painful then chances are you won't like it...what things can you do to enjoy it?

As for the excuses try this cognitive technique http://bbs.stresscenter.com/ev...=813104531#813104531 this helps to work through your excuses so you feel empowered to make change.

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

Celyon

Post by Celyon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:52 am

Exercise is a problem for me also, so I understand your problem perfectly. Maybe you could go for a walk with your baby in a stroller; sometimes even an exercise video or tv program with your 3 yr old. Make it a game; dance, laugh, act silly for your child.

I know it can be tough with a child all day. As for the food, I keep a supply of mixed nuts and fruits that I enjoy and drink plenty of water. I don't buy junk food, but if I really want choc or chips, I allow myself a small portion and eat it slowly to taste and savor each bite.
fortyplus02

ship2shore

Post by ship2shore » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:28 am

I, too, had a very clingy anxious toddler. I had to work him into my exercise routines as was suggested earlier. We walked together and when he was old enough he would ride his bike while I ran. Having a child is stressful enough but when they don't sleep much and/or are anxious and clingy like mine was, it is even more stressful. Be mindful to be patient with yourself -- your child is growing a little every day and will be grown before you know it. As you go through the program and recover from anxiety, you will be such an asset to your child.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”