Snack recipes/suggestions!

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
chelley101

Post by chelley101 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:10 am

I LOVE to eat and even though I am cognizant of how important it is to eat healthy, its quite difficult for me to grab a healthy snack when I want immediate gratification.

Do you have any suggestions on healthy, delicious alternatives to fast, junk food?

And how do you just stop consuming sugar and salt? Also, is orange juice really that bad to drink? On her tapes and videos, Lucinda refers to it as the thing that made her son too hyper, but in the guide book, it says its a healthy thing to drink? Which one is it?
www.lulu.com/michelleonuorah

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:41 am

I would love to know some healthy snacks also. It seems like I'm wanting to eat all the time, and it's not healthy foods. I think a big part of my problem is a side effect of my medication. I hate the way my body looks, but I'd rather have the meds to help with the anxiety and depression.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Almonds are a unique package of nutrients – a good source of protein (6 grams per one ounce) along with dietary fiber, phosphorus, calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese, copper, zinc, iron and vitamin E. In fact, one ounce of almonds provides about 7.4 grams of alpha-tocopherol vitamin E, 50 percent of the RDA. Almonds are the only good source of protein that is also an excellent source of vitamin E.

I just have a bag sitting on my table and take a handfull going out the door.

Here is some more:
Whole grains. Whole-grain snacks are rich in fiber and complex carbohydrates, which give you energy with staying power. Look for items such as low-fat whole-grain crackers, whole-grain pretzels and whole-grain crispbreads.
Fruits and vegetables. Eating fruits and vegetables provides a feeling of fullness with no fat and only a small number of calories. They also provide vitamins, minerals, fiber and other nutrients.
Nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds provide protein, so you will feel fuller longer. They can be high in fat, but it's mostly monounsaturated, a healthy kind of fat. Nuts and seeds are high in calories, however, so don't eat them in large quantities.
Low-fat dairy products. Cheese, yogurt and other dairy products are good sources of calcium and protein, plus many other vitamins and minerals. Dairy products can be high in fat, so choose the low-fat versions. Some yogurts have extra added sugar, so look for low-calorie or "light" varieties.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”