L-tryptophan, GABA, Stevia, & Kava

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
amethyst98

Post by amethyst98 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:55 am

Hi SuzzaneMarie:
Thanks for sharing. You provided very helpful information. Explains it well. Thanks.
I don't know a whole lot about Stevia, but I thought I would just share that link with you (I happened to run across it while looking over that website). What it sounds like to me is that the safety hasn't fully been determined. That is all I got out of that. I agree that the article was a bit vauge (could have been better). I just noticed you were taking Stevia and thought it might be helpful. That is all. It sounds like their understanding of Stevia is vague. Glad you are weighing your options that is my goal with this.

Thanks for reading the posts. I hope you found it helpful. :)

sunset34

Post by sunset34 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:37 pm

Just FYI- The GABA supplement that I take is ALL NATURAL and is derived from SUGAR BEETS!!!!!
YEP that's right SUGAR BEETS!!!! What about that? I think that's wonderful because it's NOT synthetic like other forms on the market !! ;)
[b][i]" You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

[/i][/b]

Carolyn Dickman

Post by Carolyn Dickman » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:28 am

Amethyst,
So you're saying that you just happened to post on the topics of "BrainLink, Greenbarley, GABA, Stevia, Kava, Aromatherapy" due to your past research? Yet here you just stated that you noticed SuzanneMaria was taking Stevia and that you didn't know much about this product but thought you'd share an article you found. Hmmm
As for my mentioning Lucinda, I mentioned her because I knew you were familiar with her and felt that you might respect her opinion over others you had know clue of who they were. Being that Lucinda has done a great deal of research on anxiety disorder and depression with the consultation of medical doctors, and has helped tens of thousands of people, and that she highly recommended the book we are reading, I thought that you might of thought twice about sharing articles here that contradict what we have been sharing. That you might of thought perhaps there might be �some� truth in what is being shared.
You seem to feel that you have to "protect" people here by sharing what you view as the truth. The truth is, is that we are all intelligent people here. We can do our own research. We all have access to the Internet.
How would you feel if you brought up things that have helped you and someone went around starting topics how these things are not "really" helpful, not due to experience but due to their research, while giving links to what you may view as biased information? I believe you would have been just as annoyed as I and would feel you have a right to speak up on the subjects you had first brought up. Again I realize that you said that you just happened to bring up these subjects, but then again in your threads you have said that you were referring to posts you saw on these subjects, which included you specifically speaking of my post regarding the BrainLink.
I hope you may see where I am coming from. Again people are not as naive as you might think. People can seek help through many avenues, and these things may bring them great relief, maybe a little relief or perhaps none at all. Everyone is different. And I strongly believe if something doesn't work for someone, they will know it was the product and not themselves that was the problem.
I respect your opinions and I will not go out of my way to contradict them, but I do have a right to defend my own. I just ask that you may also be considerate of others opinions and what others may share.

Sunset,
Thank you for your kind words here. Much appreciated. :)

amethyst98

Post by amethyst98 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:48 am

Grateful:
What I meant was I have been doing research on those types of topics for many years. I had a feel for what the nutrition community would say about some of the stuff posted on the forum, because I understand nutrition. So the reason I looked up the EXACT supplement or topic was to share the knowledge I have, but give the specific information for that supplement/topic. Plus I thought people would get more out of an article written by an organization or doctor than always from me. Plus I am always looking up stuff on my own because I find it interesting. Since I looked up nutrition information (for my own pleasure) I decided to share. So no I did not have to look up or research to find out if the supplements or treatments were a healthy option or were effective in what they claim, I knew this already. I looked up the information to get specifics (in books I own or websites I am aware of) on topics that seemed of interest to people on the forum. Does that clear it up? No, I don't think anyone is naive. I am not trying to fool anyone, you just misunderstood what I was getting at. I was just letting you know that I have been studying this (nutrition and science) and looking up credible sources for many years now (and sharing what I know with people) so it did not just begin with you. The problem here is that you think I am up to no good so you are assuming anything that comes out of my mouth (computer) must be misleading or intended to mislead. You got it all wrong. You know the distortion "mind reading"; you're guilting of this in this situation.
I did just happen to come across Stevia (while reading over a website for my own enjoyment) and since in the past, SuzanneMarie appreciated the information I provided, I thought I would share it because I am always looking for good nutrition information and I thought she might too. In fact, she contributed a great article on GABA and I am glad she shared it. I have been looking for information like that (it takes a lot of time to search for information on nutrition because you have to sift through it) because I knew that there had to be an explanation like that (because I have an understanding of how science and nutrition work). And yes I did give you an analysis of BrainLink. But again, I did not HAVE to look up anything to know the product would not be recommended by registered dietitians. I did look up and give reference so that I could explain it right so people could follow what I was saying. A little different than what you were saying......
And the reason I am sharing what I know about forum topics is because I feel strongly that what I am sharing is good information that is essential for good health.
Hope you got this clear now.
Anyway, you and Sunset both keep mentioning it is an open forum. So if it is an open forum why can't I share what I know? I'm sure Lucinda understands that not everyone believes EVERYTHING she says or shares. Just like Lucinda, I was sharing what I know.
You just don't seem to like the fact that there is another opinion out there (and the opinion I have is backed up with science both in the medical and nutrition fields). Are you saying registered dietitians don't know what they are talking about? I don't think so. They are highly educated and their role in the community is to educate people about proper nutrition.
I think you should stop making this personal. I'm sharing, just as you're sharing. My intentions are good, just as your intentions are good. I'm not trying to con anyone, you're not trying to con anyone. You are defending what you believe, I am defending what I believe.
Keep your insults to yourself please, because you obviously don't have your facts on me straightened out. I ask that this type of personal attacks stop. I feel like I am back in fifth grade!

amethyst98

Post by amethyst98 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:22 pm

Sunset:
As I promised, here is the information I was able to find on L-Theanine. On-going research is being conducted on L-Theanine and anxiety, but more information is needed before solid conclusions can be drawn.
<A HREF="http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdr ... 0296.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdr ... 6.shtml</A>

Also, I forgot to post the following information on L-Tryptophan. Thought you might find it of interest. It is from the FDA (it covers amino acid supplements in general and then L-Tryptophan). You will see that it is consistent with what the other link said.
"Amino acids are the individual constituent parts of proteins. Consumption of foods containing intact proteins ordinarily provides sufficient amounts of the nine amino acids needed for growth and development in children and for maintenance of health of adults. The safety of amino acids in this form is generally not a concern. When marketed as dietary supplements, amino acids are sold as single compounds, in combinations of two or more amino acids, as components of protein powders, as chelated single compounds, or in chelated mixtures. Amino acids are promoted for a variety of uses, including body-building. Some are promoted for claimed pharmacologic effects.

The Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) recently conducted an exhaustive search of available data on amino acids and concluded that there was insufficient information to establish a safe intake level for any amino acids in dietary supplements, and that their safety should not be assumed. FASEB warned that consuming amino acids in dietary supplement form posed potential risks for several subgroups of the general population, including women of childbearing age (especially if pregnant or nursing), infants, children, adolescents, the elderly, individuals with inherited disorders of amino acid metabolism, and individuals with certain diseases.

At least two of the amino acids consumed in dietary supplements have also been associated with serious injuries in healthy adults.

A. L-tryptophan

L-tryptophan is associated with the most serious recent outbreak of illness and death known to be due to consumption of dietary supplements. In 1989, public health officials realized that an epidemic of eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS) was associated with the ingestion of L-tryptophan in a dietary supplement. EMS is a systemic connective tissue disease characterized by severe muscle pain, an increase in white blood cells, and certain skin and neuromuscular manifestations.

More than 1,500 cases of L-tryptophan-related EMS have been reported to the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. At least 38 patients are known to have died. The true incidence of L-tryptophan-related EMS is thought to be much higher. Some of the individuals suffering from L-tryptophan-related EMS have recovered, while other individuals' illnesses have persisted or worsened over time.

Although initial epidemiologic studies suggested that the illnesses might be due to impurities in an L-tryptophan product from a single Japanese manufacturer, this hypothesis has not been verified, and additional evidence suggests that L-tryptophan itself may cause or contribute to development of EMS. Cases of EMS and related disorders have been found to be associated with ingestion of L-tryptophan from other batches or sources of L-tryptophan. These illnesses have also been associated with the use of L-5-hydroxytryptophan, a compound that is closely related to L-tryptophan, but is not produced using the manufacturing process that created the impurities in the particular Japanese product."
(from: <A HREF="http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/ds-ill.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/ds-ill.html</A> )

amethyst98

Post by amethyst98 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:28 am

Here is some more information about GABA that backs up what SuzanneMarie shared and the previous article I posted.
"GABA Supplements?
Before you go out and buy up all kinds of dietary supplements with GABA, a word of caution from Leventhal: 'GABA itself does not pass through the blood brain barrier, so eating it will be of little value. Drugs that increase GABA inhibition are potentially usefull.' " ( <A HREF="http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/vi ... ge=english" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/vi ... english</A> ). Leventhal is a professor of neurobiology and anatomy and adjunct professor of physiology at the University of Utah School of Medicine. The article is about the aging brain. It's pretty interesting.

amethyst98

Post by amethyst98 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:50 am

Here are some important points to remember about "natural" products.
" -"Chemical" is not a dirty word. Chemicals are the building blocks of our world. They are neither good nor bad. Nitroglycerin can alleviate the pain of angina or blow up a building. The choice is ours. Furthermore, there is no relation between the risk posed by a substance and the complexity of its name. "Dihydrogen monoxide" is just water.
-Nature is not benign. The deadliest toxins known, such as ricin from castor beans or botulin from the Clostridium botulinum bacterium, are perfectly natural. "Natural" does not equal "safe," and "synthetic" does not equal "dangerous." The properties of any substance are determined by its molecular structure, not by whether it was synthesized by a chemist in a lab or by nature in a plant.
-Perceived risks are often different from real risks. Food poisoning from microbial contamination is a far greater health risk than trace pesticide residues oil [on] fruits and vegetables. " ( <A HREF="http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... ience.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... ce.html</A> ).
Just to clarify the credibility of my source, Stephen Barrett's website, <A HREF="http://www.quackwatch.org" TARGET=_blank>http://www.quackwatch.org</A> , is not just some random website I found on the internet. It is a credible website that is recommend by other credible sources. It is recommended by the Food and Nutrition Information Center and by many others. The Food and Nutrition Information Center is part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) and is partners with the University of Maryland's Department of Nutrition and Food Science and Howard University's Department of Nutritional Sciences. Also, Stephen Barrett co-authored, The Vitamin Pushers, a book that was recommended by the American Dietetic Association as a reliable source of nutrition information. Quackwatch is a guide to health fraud, quakery, and intelligent decisionmaking.

Powderfinger

Post by Powderfinger » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:46 am

I've used GABA in the past with great results! Currently, I'm on Ativan, but as soon as I begin coming off of it, I will not hesitate to use GABA to get me through some rough patches.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”