Organic sugar

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
goodgrief504

Post by goodgrief504 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm about to start lesson 5 tomorrow. I once read that people with anxiety should stay under 50g of sugar. So I've been trying to count my grams every day, but it adds up SO quickly. By breakfast half of my limit is already shot.

This is what I'm wondering:

If I buy organic cookies and other sweets, does that sugar count against me? In other words, does organic sugar have the same effect on people with anxiety? Let's say an organic cookie has 8 grams of sugar in it. Do I have to count that as part of my daily limit? Obviously I'm hoping the answer is no, because it would be far more feasible to stay under 50g if organic desserts didn't count. I can't seem to find an answer to this question...does anyone know?

Hot Rod

Post by Hot Rod » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:54 am

I buy organic sugar, but I wouldn't think that it breaks down in the body in any other way than bleached sugar. I get the organic in order to minimize toxins like pesticides, fertilizers and bleach - but I still hardly ever use it. I sweeten my tea with a little honey and hardly ever add sugar to anything I eat.

It's probably a good idea to check what I eat for sugar content... I was just told I'm pre-diabetic by the endo (although I think that might have been from an extremely high sugar intake at a special dinner the day before I too the test). What is it you eat for breakfast that contains sugar?
Focus on what you want, not what you fear...

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:16 am

Refined sugar is sugar and the body treats it the same way. Organic just means no pesticides, it's not healthier for you other than that.

However, by eating fresh fruit you are getting natural unprocessed sugar along with fiber, and many vitamins and other nutrients, your body will react to eating a banana a lot differently than eating a cookie.

Many people are fooled into thinking that eating something that says "natural" on the box means "healthy", when in fact it's not that much different other that being organic and pesticide-free.

It would be healthier to eat 2 apples than a bag of organic cheese puffs, or a huge meatless garden salad with a squirt of orange juice than a processed soy veggie burger.

Think of the processing that what you are eating had to go through. If it was processed and packaged it is not health promoting, even if it says natural or organic on the box or bag.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:58 am

Shifrah,

I'm about to open a health food store, and I have considered putting up a big sign over the herb/supplement isle that says: "Natural doesn't mean safe!" I get a little concerned when people call me and ask for an 'herbal blood thinner' because they don't want to take the Aspirin the doctor told them to.

I agree with you in eating raw, unprocessed foods as much as possible. I have Carol Alt's book about eating raw, and it was fascinating reading. Need to pull it back out and try some of the recipes. Fruits can be very high in sugar, but they are an excellent dessert, and a perfect booster in the morning for breakfast. I do love ice cream in the evening, so I try to not keep it in the house (which is hard with one kid working at Ben & Jerry's!), but yesterday, I had a handful of grapes and ate them slowly - they were so sweet and juicy and I was completely satisified afterwards. Of course, I'm not PMS'ing... then I would eat anything that's not nailed down... :D

My breakfast every morning is a sliced banana with Activia youghurt - gives me so much of what I need in a very gentle form. Activia youghurt is one of the few brands that don't give me reflux - I recommend it to anyone!

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:55 am

That is great Arwen, opening a health food store! Good for you! I hope you stock lots of produce!

I think a lot of people, even a lot of people in the raw world, look at fruit as an enemy. If you check a gycemic chart, you'll find that fruit is fairly low, even lower than grains and baked goods. Fruit juice would spike blood sugar because there's no fiber, and if the juice is cooked (pasteurized) it would make it acidic as well.

I highly suggest checking out the book 80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas Graham - it's an excellent book about eating raw the healthiest way possible. It thoroughly goes over blood sugar metabolic disorders as well, with their causes.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:31 pm

That makes sense about the juice - I just know to stay away from them. Smoothies, however, are great, I make them for breakfast quite often.

I'll look for the book you mentioned, it will be interesting to see how it goes along with the other guidelines I follow for eating.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”