food guilt

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
mkat

food guilt

Post by mkat » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:28 pm

This is probably a topic that could go well with session three positive self talk. I'm so cruel to myself in my inner dialogue a lot of the time.
I get so upset with myself, I make it into a catastrophe if I eat too much sugar or drink or eat somehting that is unhealthy for me. and I get obsessed about it.
oh session 10, scary obsessive thoughts.
i need help.
I just need another person to talk to.

I feel like I'm a big giant mess cause I ate too many cookies tonight. i was starving and i didn't have any healthy foods on hand and I was far away from my house so i ate junk food. now i feel guilty.

here is my soothing self talk:
It's okay, so you ate some cookies. no big deal. I'll cut myself a break. Tomorrow, when I wake up in the morning, I will have a nice healthy breakfast and this is just a lesson for me. In the future, when I know that I will be away from my house for hours on end, I will packs some healthy foods in a lunchbox and take that with me. It's okay, Michelle. you will get through this.

Bryce_in_TX

Re: food guilt

Post by Bryce_in_TX » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:05 am

Hey Michelle. Be kind and loving to yourself. Recognize the truth, but do be kind and loving to yourself at the same time.

I have times when I blow it with what I eat. I don't like it. It doesn't make me happy when I do. I recognize that I have overeaten, forgive myself for the slip up, then keep trying to maintain my weight.

I've been trying to lose 4 pounds (go from 195 to 190 or about) for about 3 years now. :( Still trying.

Try and be kind and loving to yourself, forgive yourself and let go of the guilt. Tomorrow is a new day. Packing some healthy food when you know you'll be away for a while is a good idea. Forgiveness is key, however. If you forgive yourself you stop blowing things out of proportion and stop beating yourself up for mistakes made.

My experience with over reacting to situations is that it hurts rather than helps. That sounds like what you may be doing, over reacting. I think lesson 6 on Anger and Mood Swings talks about over reacting, and lesson 9 is on Guilt and Worry. Might be a good idea to listen to one or both lessons and refer to the workbook. Try and go easy on yourself. Treat yourself like you would a friend you were trying to encourage and cheer up.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

Napoleon Hill

mkat

Post by mkat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:41 pm

thank you Bryce in Texas. Your response was extremely helpful. I just read what you wrote and it made me feel a lot better. I will keep on trying and be kinder to myself.
Hope to speak to you again soon.

Bryce_in_TX

Post by Bryce_in_TX » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:47 am

You're welcome.

We are our own worst enemy. We treat ourselves like we would never treat family or friends. Sometimes we may not even be aware of how hard we are being on ourselves. Journaling the thoughts when they come up reveals what we are thinking and if we are being unmerciful on ourself.

Some negative thoughts that Dr. David Burns says might come to mind:

"I'll never be able to accomplish what i desire"
"I'm always screwing up"
Yada, yada, yada

Okay, so you made a mistake. You ate some cookies, maybe too many. You've come up with a plan to prevent that in the future. You''re a human being with some weaknesses, just like other people, and you also have a number of strengths which you can be proud of. Don't sell yourself short.

Question: Are you operating with a double standard? Do you give others a break and don't expect them to be perfect and don't kick them when they are down? But, then do you have a completely different set of standards for yourself, expecting perfection? When things don't go well do you beat yourself up and punish yourself?

IF all that self-abuse were really so helpful, why not treat other people that way? Why not dump on others when they feel lousy? The answer is obvious--it's about as helpful as throwing gasoline on a fire you're trying to put out.

AS the program says, "Put up the stop sign" and learn to stop beating yourself up. Learn to treat yourself and others by the same fair, realistic, and compassionate standard. You do deserve this whether you feel you do or not. Learn to be forgiving towards yourself, like you are with your best friend. Learn to love yourself, even when you screw up and make mistakes. You are born with self worth. It's not something that is earned. Keep working the program. You work it and it works for you. Hope is alive. Believe in yourself.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

Napoleon Hill

lockdo

Post by lockdo » Wed May 06, 2020 2:16 pm

I can understand this. I try to stay healthy but end up eating stuff I don't need to. :geek:

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”