Eating remorse

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
mkat

Eating remorse

Post by mkat » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:02 am

I need help. I eat pretty healthy for the most part, but sometimes I binge eat on foods that are unhealthy for me such as sugar and simple carbohydrates. These foods affect my mood tremendously. Not only do I end up feeling more depressed, but I also have an insane amount of guilt and remorse. That is the worst part. I know that feeling guilty for eating a lot of unhealthy foods makes things worse but I can't seem to help it.
How can I handle these binges followed by guilt? Any advice would be great.
- Michelle

coachchris

Re: Eating remorse

Post by coachchris » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi mkat,
Thank you for posting and sharing some of your concerns.
May I ask a few questions?
Are you overweight and if so may I ask how many pounds over weight?
Do you have any "shoulds" or expectations around food?
Do you notice if you're eating due to stress-emotional eating?

A few things I would recommend:
Don't bring the junk food into the house. Shop on a full stomach and do you best to not let anything high sugar into the grocery cart. This is hard to do. Ask for some accountability if needed.
Have a plan for sweets when you want them:
Dark chocolate, greek yogurt with berries and honey or frozen yogurt.
I like crunchy crackers so I try to keep a supply of seed crackers in the pantry that I get from my local health food store.
Lastly, l-glutamine is an effective acid that helps to curb sugar cravings and it's healing for the gut. You will find it at your local health food store too.
Try to do a 3 day fast from carbs and then your body will also reset.

I hope this helps and I look forward to your reply.
Coach Chris
coachchris@stresscenter.com

mkat

Re: Eating remorse

Post by mkat » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:28 am

Thank you coachchris for replying to my post.
I am not overweight by much. I could lose maybe 5 to 10 pounds.
I think that I set really high expectations for myself and I need to give myself a break for eating sugar/high carb foods once in a while. It's my perfectionism and all or nothing thinking that gets me into trouble.
I will try those suggestions that you gave me. Thank you so much. I have a better perspective now on what's going on and how I can be kinder with myself.

mkat

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”