28 Years old and Scared to excercise!

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
nfreeland

28 Years old and Scared to excercise!

Post by nfreeland » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:55 pm

I am 28 years old and not in the best shape. I am slightly overweight but afraid to workout. When my heart starts going i become fearful that i am going to die or have a heart attack. So about ten mins then bam! Im wrapped up in my thoughts and terrified. Its been a few months since i have had a xanax and wonder if that is the reason i cant calm myself. I saw a doctor back in 2011 and he said i was a little overweight but everything checked out fine. I have no history of heart disease or probelms in my family. So i guess im looking for support and others who have this issue. Thanks everyone!

DolphinG

Re: 28 Years old and Scared to excercise!

Post by DolphinG » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:34 pm

nfreeland
Dolphin g here ,i tell you what, you are younger than I i am 49 but can relay to your symptom as well as i know its a fact that the majority of all of us have this symptom of fast heart beat this is the most comon of the symptoms of anxiety .
As a matter of fact i just got off the xanax myself on 8/17 was my last intake i can tell you that you are probably right xanax would help me calm down those palpitations however my experienced on it was also of dizzieness and floating like lightheaded most of the day ,I all along thought this feeling was anxiety related but i tell you what, since the last day i took the xanax those dizzy lightheaded feelings have decipated allot.
however i noticed my anxiety level picked up a notch after quiting the xanax and i feel more anxiouse but i can coap with it with the program skills. now and dont need the xanax.
eventually the whole thing of anxiety will dissapear someday in the near future the good thing is that those heart palpitation and fast rate heart beating symptoms dont scare me anymore and it should not scare you either.
Do your exercise it wont hurt you as a matter a fact it will help you allot and it is a must for our recovery.
if you have been checked by your doctor and everthing is ok then its all anxiety related and it wont hurt you.
listen to session 2 of the program and do the homework.
Dolphin ;)

lockdo

Post by lockdo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:02 am

Just find the best time of the day and go for it!!!! You can do it!!!! ;)

lesley123

Post by lesley123 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:24 am

Hi I know it can be very scarey and when the old heart pounds yep you staright away think the worse,... but excersie would benfit you so much believe me ..ive done it most of my life I stopped for couple years...worse mistake ever! the positive out ways the negative believe me ...why don't you just walk once around your clothes line or if you don't have 1 in the yard maybe around a tree ..that's it don't go fast thinking you have too...just walk around taking your time...if you feel your heart start then do your 2-4 breathing and the count the steps...think gee its nice to be out in fresh air..and its only once I can do this...try that for a week ...plz let me know how you go...by doping this youll show yourself its ok n your heart wont race as much is by doing something fast...work slow ...baby steps...there the ones that count not big steps anyways..... :D

deb123

Post by deb123 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:04 am

I know this is older post, but maybe my experience can help others.
When I first did this program, I thought I couldn't exercise or at least do aerobics. I found walking helped. I didn't walk too fast, just walked. I knew I could walk (I was very out of shape). So I did that. It helped. Also if my heart started racing, I'd slow down.

Now that I'm older, 45, it's just hard for me to do anything. So I've been doing at least 10 minutes of muscle training to get some muscle in my body. There's a book I use to have that was called "8 minutes in the morning" and it was basically what I'm doing now. I tried doing some aerobics, but I just get so tired. I'm sure it's more the depression and anxiety then anything else.

So just do what you can do. Maybe start with less heart pounding workouts, like muscle toning or simple walking. I remember a coworkers wife was walking around her kitchen island for exercise beause it was too hot to go outside for a walk. Or just marching in place in front of the TV (I've done that before).

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”