What has been the hardest thing for you to give up or change

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
Dixiesmom

What has been the hardest thing for you to give up or change

Post by Dixiesmom » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:14 pm

When I first tried to go through this program several years ago, I was a BIG caffeine junky. I really thought it would be difficult to give up, but it wasn't too bad. I quit all caffeine - tea, cokes, coffee! I now drink only water at breakfast and lunch and throughout the day. I have switched to decaff tea and allow myself a glass with supper. But, the sugar has been really hard for me. I am still struggling with that one. It's not that I eat a lot of sweets - candy bars, ice cream, etc. I do fix a dessert about once every other week for my family. But, all the quick and easy prepackaged stuff is full of sugar! This is going to be the hardest thing for me.

peony

Re: What has been the hardest thing for you to give up or ch

Post by peony » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:01 am

I am working on the raw sugars for now like in cereal, candy, chocolate. I had a late late nite the other night and I blame chocolate. Will work the processed foods later... I like high sugar fruits too like grapes, pears, pineapple.
Pretty good with veges, so may have to substitute veges for sweet snacks.
There's a lot to change,,, a little at a time

Dixiesmom

Post by Dixiesmom » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Just read an article about a 30 yr. old mother of eight who lived in New Zealand, I believe, and how she died from drinking too much coke! The article stated that she drank about 2 gallons of coke a day and that the caffeine, along with her poor diet, contributed to a heart attack that killed her!!

Wow! Two gallons a day!! That's a lot! Don't think I was ever that bad! Glad that I'm off it though!

peony

Post by peony » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi .... Did it again yesterday. A few chocolate chips and I didnt sleep till 2am. Live and learn.

lucy knepp

Post by lucy knepp » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:52 pm

One day at a time.............gotta stay strong for my kids and grandkids. Some reality shows help. computer helps..Gotta keep going. :)

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat May 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Did you all just read my mind ! I mean it ! I have been thinking about this whole sugar / caffeine connection

for the past two days now. I have an elderly mother that lives close to me and I spend a couple of days / nights

over at her place each week to help her out and to keep her company. While I am over at her place my "diet"

seems to go right out the window ! It is not her fault that I eat the bad foods while I am visiting, it is my fault

that I am weak and let myself do it. Ugh. She has foods in her home that I do not keep at my apartment at all.

We also sometimes go out to eat for breakfast and lunch, well then I may order a dessert or drink an iced tea

or a cup of real coffee ( not the decaf stuff ). I just go crazy eating sugar while I am visiting her. I get along with

her fine and I am not nervous about visiting her at all, so it is not stress that is causing the binge as far as I can tell.

It is just the fact that the real sugar and the chocolate milk mix and the milk are all within my reach and I DO

reach for them while I am with her. At my apartment I have no more coffee pot and I don't drink coffee at all.

I have some herbal tea in my cupboard, but I barely even touch that. I just don't drink any hot liquid in the mornings,

I gave that up altogether. At my apartment I don't have any white sugar, brown sugar, or candy, or chocolate milk

mix, or cookies or snack cakes. The closest thing I have to a sugary snack may be a bowl of regular cereal.

I DO use artificial sweetners now, but I am not sure how I feel about using them, but I am giving them a try

on top of my cereal. Well, that is my story about my sugar addiction. I have noticed how badly sugar and

caffeine have been making me feel lately.

Lynda :)

lockdo

Post by lockdo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:58 pm

I still eat some sweets. Somedays I feel I have to have that candy bar and chips all the time. :roll:

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:00 pm

It's so hard at this time of year isn't it?! I slipped up today and had two chocolate cookies! But I've been trying really hard. I think I just won't let the junk even come into my house anymore!

The hardest thing for me is sugar -- I don't drink alcohol or caffeine, I don't smoke, I don't use drugs. But sugar!!! I really crave it after meals!!

findpeace

Post by findpeace » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:51 pm

I've been off caffeine for some time, at least on the coffee, tea, and soda side. Certain cookies and choclate is hard. My favorite ice cream is choclate and vanilla mix. I haven't had it in some time, but I would love to. Chips are a hard one to break. If I do get them, I get the small bag.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”