Help

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
LyndaLu

Re: Help

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:25 pm

dear iwillbebetter:

The only time that I put off eating was several months before my breakdown in 2007.
I did not realize it at the time, but I just was not eating.
I guess my life was just a blur back in 2006 and I had no idea what was going on.
Anyway, I lost 60 pounds without even trying to lose the weight.
Everyone would ask me how I was losing the weight and I would lie and say " I am just eating less" :shock: .
I was wearing the same clothes to work after I lost all that weight. The clothes just hung on me, all that material.
I had to hold my waistband together with a big safety pin :lol: .
That was probably the most weight I have ever lost in my life.
I kept the weight off after my breakdown for a couple of years,
until I got layed off from my job due to the poor economy, then I gained the weight back.

My mother and father were never obese and I was never obese until after high school.
My sister has had problems with weight gain off and on over the past 30 years, but she
has never been "obese" until now.

Well enough of my rambling , I must move on to Session Six now :o .

Lynda :)

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:17 am

Eating can be such a hmmm I don't know the wording. But weather we over do it or don't do it enough. it's amazing how many different area's our feelings control. I am working on learning to control my feeling instead of letting them control me!! :) It's time to take back the mental driving seat!! :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Okay, what about artificial sweeteners ? Does anyone use them and do you think they are

safe and healthy to use ? If I am supposed to give up sugar, I will have to somehow substitute that

sweet taste with something like artificial sweeteners, right? I bought some Splenda and I have been using

that on my cereal / milk when I eat it. And I used the Splenda in some hot, herbal tea. I used to like

sugar because it was "natural". So, if I am giving up sugar is it okay to replace it with another

substance like an artificial sweetener, or am I just supposed to give up artificial sweetners too?

Are artificial sweeteners a "stimulant" like sugar is ?

Lynda :)

afickes

Post by afickes » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Lydia, I dont know this may be an idea but have you ever tried Body By Vi. They are meal supplement shakes. I think they would be perfect for you. They are sweet but extremely healthy, not to mention brain food and one shake contains all the vitamins and nutrients you need for a full day. My favorite is a shake that tastes like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. They also have cookies and all different things. Its not expensive as I am a single mother and I can afford it. If at all you would like to check it out contact me at preciosa754@cox.net or amyfickes.bodybyvi.com. I am not trying to sell anything here so please nobody thing that. I just know I am a chocolate addict and these work for me with the "sugar cravings".

peony

Post by peony » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 pm

I haven't hadn't had coffee for about 3-4 weeks then a few days ago I had a cup. I was practically vibrating! I had no idea that one cup could be such a strong stimulant.

I have turned to chocolate, when I quit coffee and had a couple of sleepless nights, so I am weaning off chocolate now. Boo hoo

One thing that I have been having since before I started the program is one bran muffin a day and I swear by it. It has a bit of brown sugar in it but I feel the bran compensates. Maybe I will change my mind as I continue to eliminate sugary foods.
I think the cleaning of intestines is really important for getting the nutrition from the good foods we eat.

Hopefully will be able to get "clean" I know it makes me feel better to eat well We can do it!

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:33 am

dear afickes:
Thanks for the suggestions !
Lynda Lu

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:41 am

peony wrote:I haven't hadn't had coffee for about 3-4 weeks then a few days ago I had a cup. I was practically vibrating! I had no idea that one cup could be such a strong stimulant.

I have turned to chocolate, when I quit coffee and had a couple of sleepless nights, so I am weaning off chocolate now. Boo hoo
The exact same thing happened to me when I gave up coffee earlier this year. I gave up the java and then substituted

it with hot chocolate! Good Grief ! I gave up hot chocolate, but would still drink chocolate milk. I even found that a

product called Nutella was quite tasty spread on some bread, until I read the ingredients. The Nutella contains cocoa and

not only that but the first ingredient in this food is sugar. Right now I am coffee free, chocolate free and candy free

but I am feeling the pressure for the sweet stuff. I don't use white or brown sugars anymore and I don't buy sugary

cereals. I use artificial sweeteners on cereal and in herbal tea.

PS : I DID have a cup of coffee at Starbucks one day and I drank that on an empty stomach. I felt the side

effects so severly that I don't think I would drink another cup of coffee again ! I was so shaky and felt so

off balance. I could not believe just one cup of coffee could make me feel that way !

Lynda

peony

Post by peony » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Lynda,

Good job on cleaning up caffein and sugar.

I find it amazing how caffein and sugar affect you but we dont notice till we've been free for awhile then have some.

I was looking at the grocery store at sugar substitutes but I dont much want to take chemicals like aspartame... maybe something at the health food store that's sweet but not sugar? How about honey, is that considered to be sugar?

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:54 am

peony wrote:Lynda,

I was looking at the grocery store at sugar substitutes but I dont much want to take chemicals like aspartame... maybe something at the health food store that's sweet but not sugar? How about honey, is that considered to be sugar?
I looked up the ingredients for "Splenda essentials no calorie sweetener 1 gram of fiber in each packet" and the
ingredients are: soluble corn fiber, maltodextrin, sucralose. I will have to look up those ingredients online to
see what they are made of.

PS: Good Grief, I had a Dairy Queen Blizzard while I was visiting my mom this weekend.
Why does she have to live, like, one block from a Dairy Queen Restaurant ! :lol:

Lynda

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:41 am

Today I found out that what you eat is how you feel !
I was trying to go through my morning and early afternoon with almost absolutely no food, so then I had no energy.
I just felt totaly empty, physically and emotionally, as far as energy was concerned.
But another thing, my mood really changed since I had not eaten correctly.
Session Five is about Eating to Minimize Anxiety and today I saw firsthand how eating improperly
can really affect how you feel. Once I did have something to eat in the late afternoon, then I
felt my energy level go up and I had less anxiety and less mood swings.
Has anyone felt that what they ate affected how they felt emotionally.
PS: Yes, I had had SOME sugar and SOME caffeine EARLIER in the day, UGH.
Keep In Touch and Stay Strong :)
Lynda

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”