Help

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
LyndaLu

Help

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:56 am

No one has written on this Session Five for a month now ! I am going to be starting

Session Five soon and it will be the hardest chapter in the workbook for me because I am

overweight and sedentary. When I eliminated coffee from my diet a while back I just

replaced THAT with hot chocolate, and then chocolate milk ! At least coffee had no

calories. Anyhow, coffee is gone from my life right now, but sugar is the enemy and

always has been with me. I already eliminated the white and brown sugar in my household.

It seems once I eliminate something from my diet, I just seem to replace it with

something else that is just as bad. I am not even worried about the exercise part yet,

just the food part. Any advice from anyone who has conquered Session Five with

any success would be great !

Lynda

LyndaLu

Re: Help

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:25 pm

No one is really writing here anymore.
It is pretty disappointing.
There is hardly any activity on this website.
Lynda :(

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 am

I'm sorry I must had missed your post :( It does seem there has been a drop in activity, but don't let that get to you!! Sometimes it's nice to just "get it out" :) It was slower like this when I first started coming, I almost let it discourage me, but decided SO WHAT if no one replies!! :)

Hope you are doing well!! Are you still on 5?
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:32 pm

dear iwillbebetter: Thank you for responding ! I must have been having a bad day

when I was writing my two recent posts regarding Session Five.

Today was a good day for Session Five and me.

I actually listened to the Session Five CD, I went for a 15 minute

walk outside :o , I did my journal and I listened to the relaxation CD too. Finally a day with

some progress !

I dread going to the grocery store because I have no idea what food to

buy because I am on Session Five now which is about diet. I live alone and I really don't

cook, so I can eat a bowl of cereal or cheese and crackers and be fine. I am fine with

toast or a sandwich or soup. I have a colon disease so there are some foods that I cannot

eat and some of those foods are foods that are healthy for you. I have already been

through a series of B12 shots for B12 deficiency . I am iron deficient too and I take

two iron pills daily. I should be taking a multivitamin and a calcium / Vitamin D

pill ( I have osteoporosis). I hate taking pills, so vitamins are just as hard to swallow as my

regular meds.

Well, this is what is on my mind today. The weather has been great today,

but it will soon be heating up and going outside will not be pleasant as far as a walk, but

I have access to a treadmill at the apartment complex workout room that I can use.

Lynda

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:02 am

Glad to hear you had a good day with the session!! I know what you mean, although I live with boyfriend and kids, I was never taught to "eat healthy" or "right". I know I don't eat what I should. I never have. I want to start to teach my kids a more healthy way of doing things, but didn't really know where to start. I decided I obviously can't just "start over" this like everything else is going to have to be a gradual change. I'll just have to pick an area and start. So I am working at cutting out some of the sugars and treats and adding more fruits and veggis (Something I have NEVER eaten regularly, even though I love them) once I have gotten pretty good at that I will move on to the next thing... :) I think we tend to think since the eating is more of a physical thing we should be able to "change" 'things faster than when we are working at things in our head... at least I do anyway :)
:) Hope you got to get out and enjoy the weather! :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:33 am

I got up the guts to go grocery shopping today. I was at home this morning and

I just put some shoes on and got my purse and drove on over to the store before I

could change my mind :lol: . I went to the store with a good mindset and I think I

did pretty well in purchasing some "new" groceries for my Session Five :? . Today

I actually ate fresh fruit and a fresh vegetable. My body may go into shock because

I did not eat any sugary foods :shock: . I tried to read some of the labels to see

where sugar was listed as an ingredient in the packaged foods that I bought. So

now I have to eat the fresh food first because it is perishable, which means

strawberries, bananas, oranges, carrots and cucumbers, yogurt and milk.

I was never really all hyped up about artificial sweeteners, but I bought some

Splenda packets to see if I will like them. I may need a packet on my cereal just

for something sweet instead of the white sugar I used to use. I also bought some

Crystal Light packets that make lemonade with artificial sweetener in it.

Lynda :)
Last edited by LyndaLu on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:38 am

dear iwillbebetter: I have been doing the same things with foods at my apartment......
I have been eliminating some foods little by little, instead of all at once. I gave up coffee
two months ago, along with candy. Then later on I gave up white sugar and brown
sugar. After that, I quit eating snack cakes and donuts and cupcakes. Now my cupboard
doesn't look too bad, at least it looks a lot better than it did two months ago when
I started the program again.
Lynda

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:49 am

Lynda :) Good for you :) I have been working on that to - the fresh fruits and veggies :) it actually has gone over pretty well in the house :) I didn't think the kids would go for it to well, as they have started to develop my eating habits.
I am also working to make myself eat when I am hungry. I am one to put it off and put it off. Then I wonder why I can't gain any weight. So now when I feel I am hungry, no more putting it off! :) I have gotten better, but this am still working at it. :)
either way... glad you are doing it :) Who knew baby steps could be such a great thing :)

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:26 am

My problem is obesity, which I have been struggling with for 30 years :( .
I have weighed anywhere between 230 to 130 pounds.
Right now I am obese and 200 pounds and although I am not diabetic, losing some weight
wouldn't hurt because I am not getting any younger :o .
I actually ate strawberries this week and cucumbers and carrots :shock: .
Well, anyhow, I am going to try moving on to Session Six.
Lynda

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:41 am

I have the opposite issue, all of my life, I have been underweight. I have NEVER been over 100 lbs. I'm 5' 7". When in Jr High and Highschool I always stayed between 90-100. Then a few years ago (I think as my anxiety got worse) I lost then I couldn't seem to get past 85!! Since starting the program I am now moving up - haven't made it back to the 100 I was growing up, but slowly but surely!! Just like it seems everything else right now, I have to keep at it!! I love the sweets and treats also. I am one to just "put off" eating. It was a learned habit, I watched my mother do it all her life. (She was about 100 the whole time I was growing up also) I always thought it was just our family... I was "destine" to be that way. A few years ago she learned she had high cholesteral (which runs in the family) so because of that she started watching her diet... and following more to eat what she is suppose to (like the food pyramid) as soon as she started doing that she started gaining weight!! She no longer has the skin and bones look she use to!! So I now know it can be done. I just have to do it!! :)

You are doing and awesome job Lynda :) Keep doing what you are doing and you will end up where you want to be!! :) YOU can do it!! :) Be very proud for what you have done so far!! Use it as motivation to keep you going!! :)

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”