afraid to exercise???

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
Carolyn Dickman

Post by Carolyn Dickman » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:58 pm

Verucasalt,
I had trouble with being stuck on the exercise portion as well. Mainly because of a fear to exercise, like others have mentioned. What I did
was after awhile I moved on to another session.
It sounds like you may be stuck, because of not feeling like you completed this session. But, there are so many important things to learn after this session. Try going on, you can always go back to this session later. That;s what helped me. But don't
give up on continuing on in the program. Every little bit helps.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:31 am

I can relate to everything thats been said. Last nite i forced myself to exercise. I lifted weights. I ran a mile on the treadmill. Every time i felt nervous i kept telling myself i would reach my goal which was a mile on the treadmill. When i finally got done i felt great becuz i had hit my goal and not stopped. I slept like a baby last nite, best sleep ive had in a while. I felt better this morning too. Now im preparing to go back and hit it again. Once you get started with your excercise, you can block the thoughts. It will get easier. I feel like made a huge step forward last nite and today i feel like im ready to make leaps and bounds. Hopefully someone else can feel this whether its shortlived or not. good luck all

Jim74

Post by Jim74 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:49 pm

moons,

Congratulations, what a great achievement. That was very inspirational. Thanks for posting it.

Today I tried walking at the mall to get my exercise. I've decided that walking is better than nothing. My rule was that I wouldn't stop moving my feet even if I saw something interesting in a shop. :)
"It's always the darkest before the dawn."

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:20 pm

I too was afraid at first.. But i think excercise is the most important part... Once i got going i started making great strides.. Personally, i think the key to excercising is positive self talk.. When i excercise i talk to myself constantly .. Giving encouragement.. I say things like "look how great you are doing" or " To hell with fear, its not welcome here anymore, you are in control of your feelings and emotions, fear is just mad because it cant get through that door".. THe entire time im excercising im burning these thoughts into my head. Not only are the keeping my mind busy, its pushing away the fear, keeping me motivated, and also making the time go by that much faster.. The positive self talk coupled with excercise can do wonders trust me.. I doubted the positive self talk at first but i know now from experience that its an asset.. And also , after you get use to excercising, a couple weeks will pass and your increased heart rate wont scare you as much as it did.. And also with exercise comes increased lung capacity, which does help with your deep breathing in time of panic.. The best part is, that you are channeling that once negative energy towards something positive, a better body, more healthy feeling both mentally and physically and increased stamina.. Believe me everyone, stick with the excercise.. If you want some motivation i can tell you this much.. The excercising coupled with self talk has taken me from the prison of my bedroom a month ago to going out and playing volleyball and basketball and driving further from home than i have in months.. This all came from the confidence i gained excercising.. Keep with it, it pays off big time

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:12 am

I too am afraid to exercise. I have had great successes in other areas, but am having difficulty exercising. I have a treadmill in my room, but it has become an expensive coat rack. I have a health club membership that I do not use. Help!!!

Bob Shafer

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:01 am

Although this is an old topic and posting, it is relative to me today..I am nervous about exercising...I used to run 10K's!...but now I am nervous to walk on the treadmill for 20 min!..mostly for me, it is chest pains and dizziness that occurs...I feel worse afterwards, and have to rest for about an hour to get 'back to normal'...even after just a short time. Lastly, what I am going to do to get over the fear is have a stress test at the doctors office in a couple of weeks. See what they say about my ability to exercise..that should help me I am hoping....

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:32 pm

maybe you could try little time sets= 5 minutes at a time...and add to them thruout the day. before you know it, you've accomplished a good chunk of time, and that motivates to get on with more to a goal you set in total time for yourself.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:01 pm

I know this is an old topic...but it's a current problem for me. I have the best intentions..then I set out with my tape player in hand (and cell phone in pocket..just in case :()get down the road a bit & then I feel tight all through my chest, my legs feel kinda wobbly and I may may even trip over my feet, I say "okay..this is just the feeling of excercise..& yadi yadi ya..) but it still keeps getting more pronounced...especially feeling tight through my chest & then I retreat back in telling myself I'll do it later. I really try pushing myself. Uggghhh.. Anyone else having this problem? You want to hear a funny one?? Unrelated, but I'm actually having panic attacks taking a shower now??!!! What in the world kinda crazy am I?! I guess I had one in there one time..so now...so I started waiting until night to take them when my husband is home & now that doesn't even work so I take a bath with the stinking door open! I'm an idiot. But I love you guys..so if it made you laugh then..oh well it's worth the embarrassment. But really..anyone with the excercise prob???

honeydew3

Post by honeydew3 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:29 am

I am afraid to exercise or do just about anything I am scared that I will die if I try because I am already in so much Physical and Mental pain. I live in fear of everything and worry constantly. I am new here I just began the program 2 days ago and I am not doing well at all.I breathe hard and sweat just setting still.I hope you get better and good luck with the exercising. MOEY

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:19 am

Hi Moey..thank ou for your response. I am trying really hard to work the program & do the excercise. Some days I make it through & some days I am just too run down & it seems no matter how hard I try I can't force myself through it. I guess I'll just have to start being thankful for the days I do feel like it & can. I want to welcome you to the forums. I'm glad you got the program & I really hope it works & you can get start feeling better very soon. I did part of the program before but "fell off the wagon" So I have restarted it & dong it again. Best of luck to you.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”