afraid to exercise???

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:50 pm

{{{{{trucknut}}}}}

I know just how you feel. I've been in the same place. It really feels awful.

I don't know if you've done the lesson on negative self-talk, but those ideas could really help you, I think.

How about printing out this thread and reading it another day? This thread is so full of the hope of recovery and is packed with people who are overcoming the anxiety about exercise. I think you can't see that because you aren't ready to yet, but it's there.

Hang in there. If you keep working, it will get better.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:22 pm

I know how it feels. They tell you "don't consume caffiene" I haven't had caffiene in 5 years. I have not had suger, deserts or chocolate in 5 years. I try to exercise not consistantly tho. Yet none of these things work. I have just order Lucinda's program. I am hoping this will work. This seems to be my last hope. I am to the point where I am home bound. I will tell you that in my experience. When I am having an anxiety attack or panic attack I do my own special version of Tia Bo and run in place and do push-ups. It does help to burn off the anxiety at the time. Deep breathing is the most important thing when dealing with anxiety. Yoga is a wonderful thing and a way to exercise. I have dealt with anxiety attacks for the last 8 Years. I have moments when I was able to travel and work. Now I can not do anything with out an attack. I have read tons of books on the subject. Sometimes I think that I know more about my attacks then most of the Psychiatrists that I have seen. I also understand the feelings that you get with the chest pains and the left arm numbness. My Doctor and My Mom explain it best. They told me that you need to go with it. Let the feelings happen and see where it takes you. That is easier said then done but sometimes it works and helps you realize that this is only anxiety and I am not dying. The first 6 months of my anxiety attacks I was in the hospital everyday getting shots of Ativan and Valium to maintain some semblence of normalicy. Luckily I was in the military at the time and the care was free. Now sometimes I think that I do not go to the hospital when I might actually need to. It is hard to strike a balance between what is actually a problem and what is anxiety. Just keep trying to do a little at a time. Small steps lead to bigger steps. Remeber you can't jump in the middle of the pool if you can't swim. You need to start in the shallow end and work to the deeper end.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:36 pm

Something that has really helped me with the exercise and anxiety is to distract myself while I am exercising. For example, when I am on the treadmill, I get on my phone and catch up on my phone calls. Or I will watch T.V. while doing the treadmill or weights.

Or if I am walking outside, I will listen to a favorite cd. Or if my daughter is with me, we try and count how many cats we can see or dogs.

And like so many others have already said, this is good for you. Your body will thank you for it. Take good care of not only your emotional being but your physical being as well. You are the only you you've got.

Michelle

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:05 pm

I received the program about 2 months ago. As of now im taking my time making sure i have grasped the concept of each lesson. So far i have improved a reasonable amount, but i just cant seem to get the drive to work out. So, for about two weeks i have remained stagnent on topic 5. i'm worried because I think this might be a sign of me giving up. I worked out for a couple of days but just kind of forgot about it. I havent read over my work book or listened to the relaxation tape in weeks. Has this happened to anyone else on other sessions, if not this one? I need some advice on how i could go about doing this session. Let me know.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:08 pm

I've gone through cycles of being fat/thin, and I used to have TERRIBLE panic attacks when I started exercising. Picture me, this 300lb guy on a treadmill, buring more calories worrying about having a heart attack in front of everyone than I did actually running on the treadmill!

In any case, that was then, this is now. I've lost over 100lbs -- and I've come to the conclusion, I'm healthy, and I'm not going to have a heart attack, and if I did, I'd rather have it on the treadmill TRYING to lose weight than on the couch, too afraid to try.

BUT, to be honest, I still get a little anxious when my stomach flitters a bit when I'm running -- I just remind myself that it's my stomach, not my heart, that it's happened before, and that I'm OK. Also, I listen to music while I'm exercising -- I get so wrapped up in the music, I forget about all the monkey chatter going on in my head!

Good luck, you can do it. Believe me, if I can, you can too!

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:57 am

I know how you all feel! I do yoga and now am trying to do meditation,I feel anxious still. I feel like my heart is pounding out of my chest and I can't catch my breath. I know this is not true because I seen my doctor not long ago and he
said that my heart seems strong. I think it is anxiety trying to rear it's ugly head. I want to keep doing exercise because it does help,but the
beast keeps me from doing it! I just have to kick myself in the pants and tell myself this is the time to do your workout and it will make you feel better! Good Luck to all of you!
je

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:25 am

je, what "beast" keeps you from exercising? Why do you have to "kick yourself in the pants"?

I'm trying to point out some things that might be negative self-talk and that might be anxiety causing. You sound like you are very harsh on yourself.

I wonder what the real reason is for not exercising? I don't think it's because you are lazy or bad. What would someone who loves you (mom, best friend, etc.) give as the reason that you aren't exercising?

Please only take this for whatever help it can give. If it doesn't apply to you, just ignore it. :)

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:48 am

Dear Julie,
You are right! I am harsh on myself and I need to talk kind to myself. The real reason I
don't exercise is because I am afraid of the feeling of my heart going fast and the deeper
breathing.It makes me feel like there is something
going on wrong. I know in my mind exercise increases the heartrate and breathing. I am doing my yoga again,I started yesterday and did meditation. I felt better! Thanks for pointing that out to me.
je

GuitarTom

Post by GuitarTom » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:52 pm

Originally posted by verucasalt:
[qb]I received the program about 2 months ago. As of now im taking my time making sure i have grasped the concept of each lesson. So far i have improved a reasonable amount, but i just cant seem to get the drive to work out. So, for about two weeks i have remained stagnent on topic 5. i'm worried because I think this might be a sign of me giving up. I worked out for a couple of days but just kind of forgot about it. I havent read over my work book or listened to the relaxation tape in weeks. Has this happened to anyone else on other sessions, if not this one? I need some advice on how i could go about doing this session. Let me know.[/qb]

Carolyn Dickman

Post by Carolyn Dickman » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:58 pm

Verucasalt,
I had trouble with being stuck on the exercise portion as well. Mainly because of a fear to exercise, like others have mentioned. What I did
was after awhile I moved on to another session.
It sounds like you may be stuck, because of not feeling like you completed this session. But, there are so many important things to learn after this session. Try going on, you can always go back to this session later. That;s what helped me. But don't
give up on continuing on in the program. Every little bit helps.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”