21 days to create a habit....

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
mcshope

21 days to create a habit....

Post by mcshope » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:13 pm

I am not sure where I hear that it takes 21 days to create a habit. I want to create the habit of exercising at least 3 times a week. So I will be posting every day that I exercise, just a brief description of what I did and for how long.
Anyone wants to join me???? :D

mcshope

Re: 21 days to create a habit....

Post by mcshope » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:10 pm

Day 1
It took me a few days to start, but I am ready.
Today I cleaned the house, vacum, moping the floors, laundry, picking up things out of place for 1 hour. After that I did 2 minutes intervals on the treadmill. I felt very good after that. I hope everybody is doing good.
Did you enjoy Labor day?... I sure did.
Hope

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:22 am

Hi Hope! Yes, I enjoyed my Labor Day, as for exercise, I was hoping for hot temps to go to the water park for what might be the last time until next year. We still can go on weekends if we want to, but I don't want to if the temps are under 90*. So I got my exercise getting rid of weeds, moving some sprinklers around, and doing laundry and dishes.

I believe it was Maxwell ? that wrote the book on the 21 day experiment on creating a habit, I have the book somewhere. Probably boxed up with my other favorite self help books my son decided to take care of for me. :roll: This was not at my choosing, so I exercise restraint in not kicking this son out. :lol: I've been doing pretty well on that type of exercise. :)

I hope ;) to check in with you, Hope, on a daily basis to report my exercise. I want to start back walking around my neighborhood again as I did last fall until the snow flies, also, ride my bike. I've only ridden my bike at two mountain resort locations, haven't been back on it to ride in my neighborhood because it was so hot. That's where the water park has been useful for exercise and I've done some waterskiing, twice, this year. I'm not sure if I reported that I was able to get up on waterskiis after 32 years of not. :mrgreen: I paid for it dearly by very sore muscles for days! Ugh...but well worth the smiles on my face while I was up and seeing my family's astonishment! :D

I will have to evaluate if this is something good for my body or not for the future. Either I will have to stay in shape during the off season to make this more of a fun activity or call it good that I'm getting too old to do this anymore. Because painkillers affect my "gut"...so I see my Psychiatrist for a yearly visit and discuss with him what a future 57 old can expect to do in their aging bodies. ;) :lol: Paislee :mrgreen:

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:34 am

Paislee,
You are doing great... I am happy to see that.
Remember that any type of activity counts as exercise, so go ahead pulling weeds.
Amazing about the waterskiis :o I have never done that, I should try it one day.
I will keep posting my journey to 21 days of exercise, I hope to see you here.
Maria

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks, Hope...I have to remember to do other types of activity b/c my world had been full of having to pull weeds constantly and it was becoming a stressful event. I would think negative thoughts while doing it, so I guess the exercise I have to work on is thinking positive thoughts while I get rid of the weeds! :lol: I've had this discussion with my therapist last year, and he suggested to just do what I can, and call it a day. I'm not suppose to think,"Oh, I'll never get this yard cleared up..." :roll: So that is why this summer I did more play activities to eliminate that stress and anxiety.

So I might have to add that I "exercised thinking positive thoughts while getting rid of weeds". :P Paislee :mrgreen:

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:38 am

Well, today, I did more weed control, as the garbage truck was coming and I wanted to get caught up on getting as much stuff into the cans as I can. So I'm sore, but not a debilitating type as when I over do it. I made sure to quit sooner...and relax and cool down as well as eat and drink. Paislee

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:30 pm

Day 2 - Pilates and walk
Day 3 - DONE!!!!! 30 minutes on the treadmill

Paislee, great to hear that you are doing some type of movement every day. Everything counts.
:D

Hope

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Good Job, Hope! Today, I rested, except loaded the dishwasher and moved a sprinkler. I'm tired from doing a lot of outside work yesterday and I was suppose to spend some time with a friend walking a dog, but got pushed back for tomorrow. We'll see what happens. I probably needed the rest. Paislee :mrgreen:

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”