anyone else having a hard time finding sugar free items?

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
eabb

anyone else having a hard time finding sugar free items?

Post by eabb » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 pm

I am really trying hard to eliminate sugar and caffeine from my diet. I have been a very healthy eater and exerciser for a while, so I didn't think this would be so hard for me. Prior to the program, I only drank 8oz. (the "baby" cans) of Dr. Pepper 4-5 times a week and did have a bit of chocolate every now and then. The caffeine is easier for me to give up, but the sugar free is near impossible. Everything has sugar in it! I even steamed some frozen peas the other night and found that there was a small amount of sugar in them! What are we supposed to eat? Also, I eat a lot of fresh fruit and that also has sugar. I cannot believe that we need to give up fruit. Another question - are sugar substitues allowed? I found a great sugar free shortbread cookie, but it is sweetened with splenda. HELP!!!

mcshope

Re: anyone else having a hard time finding sugar free items?

Post by mcshope » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:52 am

A lot of fruits and vegetables have sugar in them, however if you eat a regular portion size, you should not have a problem. Fruits and vegetable have the carbohydrates you need for your brain to produce serotonin, which is an importat neurotransmitter that helps with anxiety and depression.
Be careful with all the sugar in processed food. Remember to read the labels and don't forget to follow the indications for the size portion. I have reduced my sugar consumption to 15 grams a day. That seems to be a good amount that doesn't give me that shaky feeling.
I use splenda, however I have been trying to switch to stevia or xylitol (which are more natural). Some people don't like the aftertaste of splenda, I think is a small price to pay for not having the sugar rush.
Hope this helps.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:02 pm

I eat fruit all the time along with vegetables. It is the added processed sugar I avoid. I have found that if I have had a healthy meal of proteins and vegetables and did my exercise, and enjoyed the sunshine, I can have a little bit of something sweet. I am doing better lately with my relationships w/ family and thought processes so that helps in having a chocolate chip cookie my DDin law made after a family activity.

I am enjoying watermelon and cantaloupe while in season along with berries of all kinds. Hope, I didn't realize that fruits and vegetables helps with serotonin levels. Thanks for that tidbit. paislee :mrgreen:

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:25 pm

There is a documentary that just came out called "Fed Up".
I have not had a chance to see the documentary yet, but I have
heard some information about it on the Internet.
They say that 80% of the food sold in the grocery store has sugar ADDED to it.
I tried the "Fed Up" challenge in May and it was very difficult to do.
I had to limit my sugar intake tremendously for ten days. It is almost impossible
to find a food item at the grocery store that does not have ADDED sugar
to it ! I looked at a package of flour tortillas at the grocery store one
day and there was added sugar in the tortillas. Why would tortillas
need sugar in them ! During a quick trip to the grocery store one day,
looking for a "snack", I only found four items without ADDED sugar in them.
They were: an orange, cheese, Triscuts, and plain Greek yogurt.
Sugar comes in many names on the packages, so you really have to be
educated about that. I do not like to use sugar substitutes.
I gave up candy and caffeine two months ago.

Lynda :)

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”