Having a drink or two after a workout

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
garyhermesch52

Having a drink or two after a workout

Post by garyhermesch52 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:54 pm

I have pretty much always liked working out (basketball, jogging, swimming, weights, hitting a heavy bag, etc).
I like having a nice drink or two (JD/coke or whatever) after a good hard workout. I go from feeling all pumped up from the
workout to having a really nice relaxed feeling. Then I also still feel better than usual the next day also (probably still the
effect of the extra endorphins released during the workout). I might mention that I work out sometimes until I just about
drop over (a glutton for punishment I guess). Anyway, I hope I don't have to give up drinking completely.

ElectrifiedBrain

Re: Having a drink or two after a workout

Post by ElectrifiedBrain » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:33 am

Well, you don't have to give it up forever, but the problem with using alcohol is that, because it is a chemical depressant, your brain will stop producing the depressive chemicals that keep your body normal since it is getting those chemicals. Because your brain doesn't readjust itself as soon as the alcohol wears off, your liberation-inhibition chemicals are off balance, which means that you end up more stimulated than depressed, which means that you're more anxious in the end, which means that you'll need more alcohol to get the same feeling, which means that your brain will produce less of the depressive chemicals, which means that the cycle continues. I recommend trying to replace alcohol with carbohydrates since Dr. Phillip Fisher said that they are relaxers as well.
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." - Unknown

garyhermesch52

Post by garyhermesch52 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll try more or less quitting at least until I get over this. I think it will especially be a good idea
until I go back to working full time more regularly. At least it will be doing something different than I have been.

lockdo

Post by lockdo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:49 am

I drink only around the holidays in moderation. :roll:

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”